Waw Factor for kite Lovers

big bri

Just had to put the link to this Awsome sight.Its a short video of Fano[Denmark] this year.

Any kite lover will love and be amazed by it about 17 Seconds in.Then then the Camera Pans around and OMG what a sight at 45 Seconds in.

ENJOY,,,,

Have a great weekend

BRIAN.. B)

thx flx - You'll have to tell me all about it at portsmouth

Never been as it coincides with Basel Art Fair and London Auction week.

There is no formal organisation [edit 'at Fano']. People just turn up and fly...

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram

People turn up and fly at the basle art fair! Well, you live and learn ;)

If only... sometimes work gets in the way!

Jammerbugten was good on the one occasion it was held in 1997. Kolding holds special memories from 1991...

Felix

It was my yearly regular kite festival throughout the 90's. I would spend about two weeks there each June.

At times the amount of kites far exceeded what you see in the clip. I surely have some photos of this somewhere.

I was last there in 1999 when I took a group of Malaysians there. Then I adopted Cervia, Italy for my regular yearly two week kite festival.

Fano can have some nasty weather. In June I have seen everything but snow and then it got very close to that once. The wind is in general quite strong which resulted in my development of the vented Revolution(a REV I) in 1993 which was later picked up by Revolution.

I have seen the wind die down to zero, but that is rare. once when it went to zero, it was followed by mini twister going down the beach picking kites straight up.

Getting older, I finally had enough of the nasty weather and headed south to sunny and warm Italy.

Sure is a lota kites.A magnificent sight.What a buzz to be in that Mega Fly one day.

After talking to some freinds who are Fano regulars.The cost of travel,B&B or similar,general costs overall are quite high.The weather as JM has said can also be quite unpredictable.High winds especially.

Has tobe on any flyers must do list.Along with another 999 more :rolleyes::)

BRIAN...

Thx to all for your additional information. Some plusses and minuses to think over.

Scheveningen (spelling?) was the big 'organised' European festival. Staying at The Bad Hotel was particularly cool.

Many of the European events were bigger than the UK ones as I recall but Fano was off the scale...

Felix

Scheveningen (spelling?) was the big 'organised' European festival. Staying at The Bad Hotel was particularly cool.

Many of the European events were bigger than the UK ones as I recall but Fano was off the scale...

Felix

Fano was off scale in many ways.

You could call it a German Kite Festival held in Denmark. The organizers are German and the primary language spoke is German.

I would guess that 85 to 90% of the attendees came from Germany alone.

It is really not a kite festival at all, it is a kite meeting.

There would be a welcoming ceremony in which you were informed about "what not to do" and maybe what you can do.

There would be a kite auction on the next Saturday night inside the riding hall. The money incurred was given to a charity for children in South America.

I once donated a kite train of 35 children. They decorated the walls of the hall with it. It brought several hundreds of dollars.

Revolution even donated one of there 1st Rev 1.5's which I carried there and added in a several hour kiting lesson to boot.

Outside of this nothing else was organized. It was basically a giant free-for-all with all the room you would ever need to fly a kite.

The depth of the beach varied from about 0.5Km to more then 2Km. I don't recall off hand the length of the beach. I am guessing about 20Km.

You could take your car on the beach, however you must be very careful where and when you park your car. I saw one on the most experienced Fano Kite flier get his car stuck on my last trip.

post-41-1249849736_thumb.jpg

I was fortunate never to get stuck however I have pulled a number of cars out with my front wheel drive VW or Audi. I usually drove up with my winter tires mounted.

Kite fliers also get married there as can be seen in one photo. However that marriage did not last long.

post-41-1249849442_thumb.jpg

Even the famous kite maker Peter Malinski is buried near by in an unmarked grave.

Sorry no picture, however you can checkout drachenfoundation.org for history on Peter.

This photo is showing how wicked the wind can be. Look at the sand as it blows by and then the bending banners.

post-41-1249849471_thumb.jpg

These are some photos from 1996 showing one of the many groups of kites along the beach.

post-41-1249849612_thumb.jpg post-41-1249849602_thumb.jpg

Then there was a full size inflatable whale kite, which so happened to be made by the guy who got married in the photo. It took him about a year to build it. post-41-1249849665_thumb.jpg

I had my original Revolution progressive train there in 1997. REV provided the kites and I trained them.

post-41-1249849700_thumb.jpg