Maximum line length

JynxKites

Question

9 answers to this question

I seem to remember Steve De Rooy and the other iquad guys

flying at 240ft (2x120s) they had made a video of it.I think it was on you tube

but can't remember the title

can you point us in the right direction Steve?

Edited by BAZ

Found it on you tube

Shame about this.

This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by WMG. The audio has been disabled.

I wonder if this is the start of a new campaign by the music industry to protect it’s intellectual property.

I guess we on this forum have no right to object, but I do think the copyright holders may be shooting themselves in the foot a bit on this one. I strongly believe that Youtube helps rather than hinders music sales. I know from personal experience I have often gone searching on Amazon or Play.com looking for music after my nostalgia button has been pressed by a TV ad or Youtube video.

i have been wanting to try 300 feet .. im going to try it with cheap line first before i get it made by spectra.. i need a person to shoot video .. hopeing to find one . trying to get the little lady to do it but she has a shaky hand

Hi Jynx,

As we all know Steve can do anything with a Rev and make it look easy. Now for a response from a weekend flyer.

Last time I got some bulk line the intent was to make a set of 120s and a set of 80s so I got 800 feet of line. My mind wondered in the same direction yours has so I started out making a set of 200s figuring I would cut it down later. It was very different and a ton of fun to fly. The first thing I found was the wind was very different at ground level and the top of the window. I was using 2 wrap to start but changed out to 3 wrap because when I got up anywhere near the top the wind was so much greater it looked like it was going to snap the rods. It surprised me that the response time between hand inputs and the kite reaction didn't suffer much at all. The flying window was huge! It seemed like forever just to fly form one side to the other. As you can see in Steve's video a dive stop takes on a new meaning as well. The only down side to the whole thing was that because the kite is so far away I kind of lost that personal one with the kite feeling. It was almost like watching someone else fly. The end result is I'm glad I took the time to do it and had a fun day playing with it but I didn't have any problem cutting them down to the "normal" length when I got home. The next time I buy bulk line if the length works I will surly do it again.

Thanks for all the responses! (keep 'em coming)

...and Denny ~ Thanks for the detailed report... Just for the "L" of it I'm going to try connecting two sets of 120' lines... I love living dangerously!

Can't wait to experiment! I'll let you/s know how it went... or how I went!

(Today I spent 6 hours flying with a thousand cheerleaders) sounds like it should have a punch-line... hey?

post-2498-1249278677_thumb.jpg ~ post-2498-1249278740_thumb.jpg

A National cheerleading camp at Veterans Park at our Lakefront along with a hundred mascots too... even one who took over my kite BY FORCE! :) Fun times!

They'll be here all week... 240' lines... :g:hummmm??????

Thanks for all the responses! (keep 'em coming)

...and Denny ~ Thanks for the detailed report... Just for the "L" of it I'm going to try connecting two sets of 120' lines... I love living dangerously!

Can't wait to experiment! I'll let you/s know how it went... or how I went!

(Today I spent 6 hours flying with a thousand cheerleaders) sounds like it should have a punch-line... hey?

post-2498-1249278677_thumb.jpg ~ post-2498-1249278740_thumb.jpg

A National cheerleading camp at Veterans Park at our Lakefront along with a hundred mascots too... even one who took over my kite BY FORCE! :) Fun times!

They'll be here all week... 240' lines... :g:hummmm??????

They are cheering for me again huh............. Ben :devil: :devil: :devil:

i have been wanting to try 300 feet .. im going to try it with cheap line first before i get it made by spectra.. i need a person to shoot video .. hopeing to find one . trying to get the little lady to do it but she has a shaky hand

Gee I sure hope you can find some with a camera. Not to many around now a days that can shoot and know a little about kites huh? :blue-cool: