PORTSMOUTH 2009

Mr Git

Just realized, I'm actually gonna miss attending this one...

Knew I wasn't going, but now I feel it.

Have fun guys, iQuad will be sending positive vibes. ;)

Ach, go on then - just nip over for the weekend. No point in feeling bad. :)

I think the campsite we are staying at is called Southsea Leisure and Holiday Park

its not far from the common

Baz

Hello baz mate

Had a look online at southsea leisure park £22 a night for camping,and you don't have to book in advance to stay at the campsite.Just turn up,pay and away you go.The festival site is around a 10 min drive or if you want a 30 min walk along the sea front.Anyway enough rambling see you there

daz

Hi all, the campsite at Southsea is very small and you are not allowed on till midday, they do take advance booking's, and on bank holiday's get's full very quickly, if you are only going to the festival a better option might be to camp at the festival, just need to send your detail's to the kite Society so security do not chuck you off. If you are going to the Southsea camp site take plenty of spare peg's as the ground is like concrete.

Hi all, the campsite at Southsea is very small and you are not allowed on till midday, they do take advance booking's, and on bank holiday's get's full very quickly, if you are only going to the festival a better option might be to camp at the festival, just need to send your detail's to the kite Society so security do not chuck you off. If you are going to the Southsea camp site take plenty of spare peg's as the ground is like concrete.

phoned up southsea leisure park and they do not take advance bookings. so its a first come first serve basis

I can only speak as I have found, I contacted them in April and have a reserved pitch on the tent field and have a confirmation of the booking.

Going to take a chance.......

We are going on the friday so fingers crossed we will get a pitch.Looking forward to going as I have heard it's one of the best festivals in the country.I hope the weather will be better than Brighton as it was a bit of a wash out.

You must've gone on Saturday! Sunday was most excellent (if somewhat gusty).

Oh yes unfortunatly I could only manage the saturday at brighton.Wish I could of stayed for the sunday but never mind.Fingers crossed for nice weather at portsmouth.

• 2 weeks later...
Portsmouth traders - Kiteworld, Kites Up, Windrush, Highwaymen, Traction Kites, James Hartley, Go Kites plus a few more yet to confirm.

Dont forget the food traders :0) and the very nice Beer Tent over by the fun fair (not strictly part of the festival but very handy for those that like the amber nectar)

There is usually a craft tent as well.

Southsea Common is right on the beach just opposite the Hovercraft launch pad to the Isle of Wight so if you have kids you can take them down there.

Overall, its a first rate festival. Gill & Jon get some of the best single line kites (check this page for piccies of previous festivals) and combine that with The best Dual Line & Quad Line displays. Its that combination of BOTH that makes this such a special festival IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

So wish we could be thee this year.

Pompey has always been my favorite UK festival.

To one and all have a great time and have a cool one for me and all of us in iQuad.

See you all soon its been way to long already.

Good winds and lots of laughs.

Give em' a great show.

Bazzer

So wish we could be thee this year.

Pompey has always been my favorite UK festival.

To one and all have a great time and have a cool one for me and all of us in iQuad.

See you all soon its been way to long already.

Good winds and lots of laughs.

Give em' a great show.

Bazzer

Hi Bazzer,

Trying desperately to think what I remember you flying at Portsmouth... I keep think of Edo's or possibly Sode's

(oh so many years ago...)

Does anyone know if anything is being organised for the evenings?

If not, I was thinking of a get together at a great Italian restaurant in North End (Portsmouth). Though we'd have to organise a few lifts for those without wheels.

Does anyone know if anything is being organised for the evenings?

If not, I was thinking of a get together at a great Italian restaurant in North End (Portsmouth). Though we'd have to organise a few lifts for those without wheels.

There is a BBQ for invited flyers.

So you would have to drive to this restaurant ? bugger that I want a drink lol ( as all the pubs shut early ? )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Felix just pipped me in posting next w/e's forecast.

Do the pubs really shut early?

Absolutely not!

I've just got off the phone to the manager of the Still & West in Old Portsmouth who assures me that regular licensing hours are in operation for the festival. For pubs in the Old Portsmouth area that's 11pm closing on Saturday and 10.30pm Sunday, though you'll find pubs & bars in Albert Road open 'till midnight or 1am on Saturday, and 2am+ in the Guildhall area. Wouldn't be at all surprised to bump into either Sailor or Jonesey loitering around Portsmouth Guildhall steps in the wee hours either, I gather there's a ship in port :lol:

*Hic * Cheers!

...And this from PortsmouthPubs.org.uk

Well, as far as I'm concerned, there's certainly not a curfew in place at any pub in Portsmouth - nor is there ever been! Obviously, all pubs are subject to their own licensing hours, as decided by the city planners, but this is really only dictated by the locality of the pub in question. For example, a street-corner local in a residential area is likely to close at around 11.00-11.30pm at weekends, whereas the pubs on Albert Road and similar locations would generally be open until 12.30-01.00am. You can see the licensed opening hours for each pub by looking at my website. If you would prefer to know the hours for which each house is allowed to serve alcohol, visit the link below: http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/living/6978.html Hope this goes some way to reassuring you?! Thanks for getting in touch,

I think that settles the matter ;)

Edit: I mean, it's not as if kite fliers are like visiting Millwall fans

Edited by HippyChippy

...And this from PortsmouthPubs.org.uk

I think that settles the matter

Ah well, I will not be staying up late anyway... We have to be on the field early on Sunday morning (and Monday as well, possibly... <grins>)

Felix

[Edit] PS maybe we could do the JMH 16 if we get up early in the morning?

Edited by Felix Mottram