Travel Frame - how is it?

airin

Question

I'm thinking of getting a travel frame for my B series 1.5 so as to be able to fit it into my bike panniers. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this frame and, if so, how you like it. Does it still have the stability needed in a frame in spite of its 'shorter bits'?

thanks,

Erin

16 answers to this question

I'm thinking of getting a travel frame for my B series 1.5 so as to be able to fit it into my bike panniers. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this frame and, if so, how you like it. Does it still have the stability needed in a frame in spite of its 'shorter bits'?

thanks,

Erin

I've seen one, seems only avalible in 3 wrap, and with the extra ferrules its a touch heavier than a standared three wrap. but its flight characteristics r the same as a "normal". just sucks if your going somewhere with light winds.

I've seen one, seems only avalible in 3 wrap, and with the extra ferrules its a touch heavier than a standared three wrap. but its flight characteristics r the same as a "normal". just sucks if your going somewhere with light winds.

Oh that's very good to know. We often have light winds here in Vancouver, well at least I think of them as 'light'. What mph is a 3 wrap designed for?

Oh that's very good to know. We often have light winds here in Vancouver, well at least I think of them as 'light'. What mph is a 3 wrap designed for?

well I only use my 3's in my full vent. I use race rods in my full sail and sometimes 2 wrap but by the time the wind is up to 3 wrap range I switch to full vent (I dont have a mid vent, YET.) with two wraps. the wind has got to be in the 15 mph range to go to 3 wrap. I dont know if that is what is recomended by Rev but I usually go by the flex in the le. and i,ve never broke one either. I'm sure that sooner or later someone will be on with some first hand experiance. I'll just wait till Rev builds some travel race rods.(hint hint, Ben.) :) . my dilema right now is the "silver bullets". :wacko:

• Like 1

I bought a travel frame from Lolly when I was in San Diego a couple weeks ago. I agree that it is heavier than the standard 3 wrap. I only had time to fly it for an hour during the vacation but it handled fine. I'm glad I have it and will never go on a vacation again without it in my suitcase.

I bought a travel frame from Lolly when I was in San Diego a couple weeks ago. I agree that it is heavier than the standard 3 wrap. I only had time to fly it for an hour during the vacation but it handled fine. I'm glad I have it and will never go on a vacation again without it in my suitcase.

Same here! Got 'em and though I haven't had the need to use them as yet... I can pack the kite and rods in a suitcase and they fit nicely in my HD sidebags!

They may not be of race-frame quality, but cetainly better than nothin' when needed!

(PS: Ben stated that because of the additional rod attachments needed, making them from race-frames may not hold up well enough).

The Travel Frame is awesome. Makes it super easy to pack a Rev into just about anywhere! I can carry a full 1.5 B-Series in the seat compartment in my truck. :)

The frame is a 3-wrap and just as durable as the standard 3 wrap frames. The reason for the extra weight is due to the extra internal ferule's used to allow the frame to collapse down so small. The weight is very minimal really, it is just 4 (corrected - should be 5 not 4) more internal ferule's over the standard 3 wrap frame. Not sure on the exact weight increase in grams but flying side by side with a standard 3 wrap it is very difficult to tell any difference. It may be a little more noticeable in the super light winds.

I love my travel frame, take it with me where ever I go. :)

Edited by awindofchange

The Travel Frame is awesome. Makes it super easy to pack a Rev into just about anywhere! I can carry a full 1.5 B-Series in the seat compartment in my truck. :)

The frame is a 3-wrap and just as durable as the standard 3 wrap frames. The reason for the extra weight is due to the extra internal ferule's used to allow the frame to collapse down so small. The weight is very minimal really, it is just 4 more internal ferule's over the standard 3 wrap frame. Not sure on the exact weight increase in grams but flying side by side with a standard 3 wrap it is very difficult to tell any difference. It may be a little more noticeable in the super light winds.

I love my travel frame, take it with me where ever I go. :)

Kent,

Since each rod is cut in half, that would result in five extra ferrules ... or, do you have a special frame set from Ben? Where's that thread on insults ... "He's one ferrule short of a frame set" ... sounds like that would work in that thread.

A solid ferrule with adhesive weighs about 5 grams apiece, thus the total additional weight would be 25 grams. 25 grams is about the weight of the center rod with both ferrules installed. As you said, that's not really a lot of extra weight unless the winds are very light. Still, well worth the trade off, as opposed to not having a kite along on the trip.

Cheers,

Tom

Kent,

Since each rod is cut in half, that would result in five extra ferrules ... or, do you have a special frame set from Ben? Where's that thread on insults ... "He's one ferrule short of a frame set" ... sounds like that would work in that thread.

A solid ferrule with adhesive weighs about 5 grams apiece, thus the total additional weight would be 25 grams. 25 grams is about the weight of the center rod with both ferrules installed. As you said, that's not really a lot of extra weight unless the winds are very light. Still, well worth the trade off, as opposed to not having a kite along on the trip.

Cheers,

Tom

You mean five in total don't you? Adding just three. Each rod cut in half would need three connectors plus the original two to hold it all together. Fifteen extra grams.

Am I missing something? I've been in the sun all day so may be fried.

Bart

Ok, well a little time has passed since I first asked here about the travel frame. I finally have one coming in the mail!

I still want to be able to have a kite along in my bike panniers on my commute to and from school in case an unexpected flying opportunity should arise.

Now I currently have Race Rods in my standard B series and then the 3 wrap in my vented 1.5.Isue these two kites with these two particular frame sets 90 % of the time. So would it make most sense, with the 3 wrap travel frame rods, to be planning to use it with the vented? In other words, wouldn't it be a bit too heavy a frame to use with the standard sail? Or would it be worth bringing along both the standard and the vented sails when I am carrying the travel frame and thus allow for a broader range of wind speed flying?