Gong Show

airin

Question

My first time out with my new 1.5 saw me spending more time unraveling the tangle I managed to get my lines into than actually trying to get the kite in the air. It seems the reverse launch and all the twists that ensued as I tried to get the kite right side up and stop its wild spins which followed my overcompensating with the handles left the lines in an almost hopeless mess. A kite field pal, Sue, was kind enough to help me sort out the worst of the rat's nest so I could at least wind up the line and head home....feeling kind of sheepish about my lame practice session.

Today when I got to the kite field, early so I could try to practice without upsetting or distracting weekend flyers with my anticipated many crashes, the lines were still tangled once I had undone them from the winder. To my astonishment Ray Bethell, amazing world class flyer and local to our field, was out early as well. He felt the easterly wind that was blowing was 'sh*tty; in his own words, and with hardly a further comment, he started to help me untangle my quad lines. Patient is not an adequate word to desribe his approach to this kiter flyer's nightmare. At one point, an hour into our project, he quipped, "And you thought kite flying was supposed to be fun!" which put a smile back on my face.

An hour and a half into the intricacies of straightening out the four lines, a cyclist took a short cut, off of the nearby bike path and across the flying field and RIGHT TRHOUGH THE QUAD LINES! AAAAhhhhhhh.......<thud>...

We couldn't believe it!

Two lines were cut and midway between the handles and the staked ends that we had alnost reached in our untangle efforts was a huge ball of knotted line, the size of a cantalope. I really was close to tears at this point. The only thing Ray said was, "And we almost had it, didn't we?"

The mess was too knotted to salvage. I packed up, gave Ray a hearty hug and headed home.

Edited by airin

19 answers to this question

I spent some more time reading older posts in the forum and came across a number of fliers who also had to toss their first set of quad lines due to beyond-the-pale tangles....now I don't feel so bad! :wacko:

The local kite store has been unexpectedly closed for the past few days. I will check again today and then if the shop is still not open, in order not to be sidelined for too long with the Rev itching to be in the air, I'll order some new lines online. I'm also going to go with a second winder so that I can keep the two sets separated more easily until I get the hang of this four line business. ;)

later,

Erin

I spent some more time reading older posts in the forum and came across a number of fliers who also had to toss their first set of quad lines due to beyond-the-pale tangles....now I don't feel so bad! :wacko:

The local kite store has been unexpectedly closed for the past few days. I will check again today and then if the shop is still not open, in order not to be sidelined for too long with the Rev itching to be in the air, I'll order some new lines online. I'm also going to go with a second winder so that I can keep the two sets separated more easily until I get the hang of this four line business. ;)

later,

Erin

Tell ya what, I'm a regular down at Vanier Park most summers, if you see me down there, bug me. I'll show you my fool proof approach to dealing with rev lines. :-)

Tell ya what, I'm a regular down at Vanier Park most summers, if you see me down there, bug me. I'll show you my fool proof approach to dealing with rev lines. :-)

I'll be looking for you for sure then!

I bought some new lines today, 85 ft was all they had in stock but thought I'd give them a try because I didn't want to have to wait for shipping if I ordered some online.

Got some tips from Cal today down at Vanier and actually managed to launch the kite and start working on some basics. It was nice to finally get the fly the Rev.

That is why we recommend new fliers in our area join the local club (WOW) but do NOT buy a kite for a whole year. Instead learn what you really like, how to manage your equipment and most importantly what a properly tuned kite should "feel like". After a year you'll know what you want and be comfortable shellin' out the cash for something truly spectacular. Then all the friends you've made will form a line to fly your new kite. Eventually you'll have a whole bunch of cool kites and you can tutor your own newbies.

We were all newbies at some point, the folks who have forgotten that aren't representative of the group known as "quad-heads" or Rev pilots!

I have thrown lines away, cut off the tangled mess and made a shorter set, borrowed stuff in competition and had some of the best times when others have offered me extensive assistance. Those are the priceless memories we share together. Other sports or hobby activities aren't the same sharing way as kite fliers!

That is why we recommend new fliers in our area join the local club (WOW) but do NOT buy a kite for a whole year. Instead learn what you really like, how to manage your equipment and most importantly what a properly tuned kite should "feel like". After a year you'll know what you want and be comfortable shellin' out the cash for something truly spectacular. Then all the friends you've made will form a line to fly your new kite. Eventually you'll have a whole bunch of cool kites and you can tutor your own newbies.

We were all newbies at some point, the folks who have forgotten that aren't representative of the group known as "quad-heads" or Rev pilots!

I have thrown lines away, cut off the tangled mess and made a shorter set, borrowed stuff in competition and had some of the best times when others have offered me extensive assistance. Those are the priceless memories we share together. Other sports or hobby activities aren't the same sharing way as kite fliers!

Words to live by Paul, nicely said!

I'm also going to go with a second winder so that I can keep the two sets separated more easily until I get the hang of this four line business. ;)

later,

Erin

Glad you feel better. Not to bring you down again, but I still can't fly without tangles before or after. :blushing: And I've been flying for a while. ;)

I went to the dual winders for a while too. While it does take the tangles out leaving you with only twists, it takes a few minutes extra to wind that second set of lines. Unwinding is fast though. Since I don't tend to go with the flow, I'll probably go back to dual winders myself.

Figure I get some goofy looks attaching my lines the ORIGINAL way, whats a second goofy look for two winders? :lol:

Dean

Great offer! take him up on it. B) Monkey has posted his tips somewhere on this forum and I took them to heart. Works great. Although I wouldn't say "fool proof". I have still been known to get in a hurry during setting up and had a tangle or two. For the most part I am able to fly out any wraps and I'm up and flying in no time at all. Most important is, never had to trash a set of lines.

Great offer! take him up on it. B) Monkey has posted his tips somewhere on this forum and I took them to heart. Works great. Although I wouldn't say "fool proof". I have still been known to get in a hurry during setting up and had a tangle or two. For the most part I am able to fly out any wraps and I'm up and flying in no time at all. Most important is, never had to trash a set of lines.

Heh, with lines, nothing is foolproof, however, if done consistently every time, the chance of issues is greatly reduced. :-)

I'll be looking for you for sure then!

I bought some new lines today, 85 ft was all they had in stock but thought I'd give them a try because I didn't want to have to wait for shipping if I ordered some online.

Got some tips from Cal today down at Vanier and actually managed to launch the kite and start working on some basics. It was nice to finally get the fly the Rev.

When are you likely to be down there again over the next week?

Cal knows more than a few things about flying revs, and all those years ago, he helped me a lot as well.

When are you likely to be down there again over the next week?

Cal knows more than a few things about flying revs, and all those years ago, he helped me a lot as well.

We tentatively planned to meet Cal down at Vanier tomorrow (Wed) afternoon David. Be great if you could come too!

I hope to be over at the park two or three days, during the week, next week as well. Hope to meet you soon. (I'll be easy to spot....the erratic, nearly out of control, B series - night Rev.)

cheers,

Erin

Monks is very familiar with the B Night. It is a great color combination to stave off the dreaded seasonal affective disorder during our deary winters here. That is why I bought mine. :D

Don't forget your welding goggles Monks!

In fact, I can see yours from here too! :P

I also have a brand new set of sunglasses slated to arrive this afternoon that are a DARK DARK DARK green. That should help immensely!

Be sure to wear those sunglasses this afternoon then Monkey, cause I'll be (attempting) to fly my Rev .... you're sure to spot it if you just take a peek out of your office window or, better yet, get your spars and sails down to Vanier!

Be sure to wear those sunglasses this afternoon then Monkey, cause I'll be (attempting) to fly my Rev .... you're sure to spot it if you just take a peek out of your office window or, better yet, get your spars and sails down to Vanier!

Ya, I was thinking today would be a good day and the weather forecast (wind, specifically) suggests that too. Seeya there

Ya, I was thinking today would be a good day and the weather forecast (wind, specifically) suggests that too. Seeya there

Hey David, it was really nice to meet you and Megan today - thanks for coming down to the park.

Hey David, it was really nice to meet you and Megan today - thanks for coming down to the park.

Just a fantastic day down there, one of those days that proves why Bethell and I figure it's one of the best kite parks in the world. Good meeting you! And Jim Jim!