Double Progressive Stack

RescueRev

It's not mine, and I'm not really into the whole power kite thing. But once the handles are in my hands and the tunes come on I just wanna spank this new stack. It's going to fly in reverse, and it WILL axle at least once. It will, it will!!! :lol: Some day we'll figure out the camera and get some video.

Serious pull outta this stack. 5 mph is enough to feel like a 1.5 in 20 or so. 10 to 15, sitting on my arse with my heels planted this thing slid me uncontrollably. The kite was in control, but I couldn't stop sliding forward no matter what I tried.

Dean

It's not mine, and I'm not really into the whole power kite thing. But once the handles are in my hands and the tunes come on I just wanna spank this new stack. It's going to fly in reverse, and it WILL axle at least once. It will, it will!!! :lol: Some day we'll figure out the camera and get some video.

Serious pull outta this stack. 5 mph is enough to feel like a 1.5 in 20 or so. 10 to 15, sitting on my arse with my heels planted this thing slid me uncontrollably. The kite was in control, but I couldn't stop sliding forward no matter what I tried.

Dean

Well 50 boxes of donuts can cure your arse being pulled down field :w00t:

RescueRev

Was 220, now I'm down to about 190. Don't know where my excess may of gone. But I didn't notice I was losing until a little while after we finally got it put together for the first time. Gust came up, was just getting to the power zone of the window and...... before I could blink, that stack went from one edge to the other only stopping cause it ran outta wind. It slid me flat foot at least 20 ft. I thought.... cop a squat. Nothings gonna move my fat ass. :lol: My ass moved and there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. I flew for quite a while that first day. I was pooped. We were only out the 1st time for maybe 2 hours. I don't know. I lose the world as soon as my tunes start and I'm giving inputs to my kite. Been thinking about coming up with some sort of REALLY air soft pistol to take when I'm flying on the line. Besides my right ear is very hard of hearing, it would come in handy when trying to get JB's attention while he's flying with the tunes going. :lol: I'm done blogging for tonight. Ya'all have a good one and sleep in if you can. WOOHOO!!!!!

Dean :huh:(whewwwww)

Oh, and Stephon, the wind went to a STEADY 6 mph just after you left ;) I like the new leaders. (I swear, if I hear anything more about leader length, distance between knots, adjustability...... well, I don't know what I'll do. But I'm sure it'll suck. :wacko: 'Cept I'll get started tonight on the new leaders top and bottom for the 15" handles. Sure I'll have them done by Sunday just incase you get to fly the stack.

Edited by Dean750

:D

More importantly what did you think of it ? :)

Chocs~away

I think it is a very cool kite as long as the wind is 10mph or under. I have always look in awe at stacks flying on the beach and new someday I would have a stack. It flies great and is easy to control as long as the wind is a soft and easy breeze. If the wind is gusting to over 10 mph it will pull just like Dean said. I know my turn is coming to be dragged down the beach and at that point my opinion might change a little :confused!: But for now I think it is pretty cool.

I almost wanna be there when he gets to ski. But having been there I kinda don't wanna be there, ya know? Could be funny.

200# 100' BTW Jonsey. Curious as to how it would fly on 90's in zero wind?

Dean

Wonder if a box of band aides should start going to the field with us? :lol:

With the stacks, you can kill a ton of the power from them by adjusting the top lines IN (shorter, closer to the handle etc...). You still have plenty of control and reverse. Pulling in the top lines about 2 inches should allow you to fly the stack in winds up in the lower teens without near as much pull as you are experiencing now.

So far in my experience more brake is needed with this stack. At full brake as it is, is about 3 inches to short. Pulling the top line in increases forward speed thus more pull. Set that way it takes a lot more effort to stay on the brakes to keep the forward speed and the pull down. Longer top leaders and shorter ones on the bottom should allow the pilot to relax and not have to worry about giving too much thumbs back. Kinda like a fail safe while he's learning to fly it.

You really have to see it in person to understand just how tunable this stack is. I put 20 hours into making the tails front and back and then tieing each to the end caps. All stack lines attach to the kite by larksing to a pig tail. Not to the end cap. The tail on the front side of the sail is about 2 and a half inches or so with 4 knots at about 3/8 of an inch apart. Each of the 7 points are the same length.

So each kite can be tuned individually. The stack can be split into two progressives or each kite can be removed individually and flown. Just attach the bridle to the front pig tails and they fly just like it wasn't part of a stack. Maybe John will post the one pic I tried to take of an end cap after we set it up.

Dean

What Kent is trying to tell you that adding more fwd on stacks also has the great side effect of reducing pull while maintaining fwd drive it allows the wind to sheet off the sails instead of grabbing it, You extend the top lines you make the sails flatter forcing yourself to brake even more.

Try it with a single kite its not as effective but you'll see how much less air the sail grabs.

But do it your way I'm sure you'll enjoy all your long sleeve shirts becoming short sleeve all of a sudden :lol:

Aside from Lee Sedgwick I'm willing to bet Kent has more stack time then most. (food for thought)

i have a few stacks myself and kent is 100 % right didnt believe myself till i did just that on my 8 stack of 1.5 it decreased so much i couldnt believe it more of the wind goes off the stack thus less pull more control in high winds now in light wind its diferent try it it works

Wow ... cool set up .... I love my progressive (same colours) and was thinking about doubling it up one day ... what lines where you flying off? and when can I have a go ;)

I was using 100' 200# line. Anytime you are in my area you would be welcome to give it a go. This thing flies really well thanks to the set up and tuning Dean750 put on it. Dean was the first to fly it due to an injury to my left shoulder. I can't waite to fly it again :)

RescueRev

Clarification on the adjustment ...

Kent - Do you mean adjust each kite slightly shorter on the top line in relation to each other, or just at the handles?

Depends if you have the materials and the patience.

And just to clarify for myself and ya'all, I glued my foamies on my handles about an inch higher than most of ya'all I'm sure. I'm trying to correct it, but that is my reason for more brake. My natural hand hold is all forward. :blushing: I fly alot in VERY light wind. Hence my high hand hold. It's like learning to fly all over almost. :blushing:

Unfoutounatly John has the same tendencies I do. Light wind is a b*%&$. When you get wind or the feeling (of say this stack in 3 to 5 mph wind) you have to hold lower on the handles. Thats why I'm saying more brake. It's just flying style.

At Lincoln City I didn't really know how to fly. 20+ wind is not what I'm used to flying in. And that was with just my vented 1.5.

Dean

Edited by Dean750

Clarification on the adjustment ...

Kent - Do you mean adjust each kite slightly shorter on the top line in relation to each other, or just at the handles?

No, just adjust the lines at the handles. The distance of the top lines on each kite should be equal. You only have to tune in the brake lines on each kite - and that is only if you want to fine tune the stack, if you aren't that concerned with the stack chasing around during flight then just link the kites together with exact length lines and have fun! Setting up and flying a stack is totally awesome and if you have two kites laying around, hook em up and open up a new world of Rev flying. For some extra fun, hook a 75 foot x 2 foot wide streamer on the end of the last kite and really draw some attention. :)

Shortening the top lines is not a "Do or Die" type of suggestion, you can fly the stack however you like, they all are fun to fly and look great in the sky. Shortening the top lines is so simple to do, just make some heavy duty leaders for the top lines with adjustment knots and you will find the optimum setting within minutes. I don't mean to argue with anyone about; or suggest that you have done a stack wrong....there really isn't a right or wrong way to have fun flying. If the stack works great for you then awesome, fly and enjoy. :) :) The double progressive really looks good, I will have to combine the two progressive stacks I have and see how it flies.

It's a bit different. The double progressive. I'm a tweaker when it comes to customizing a kite like this. It doesn't have to be so difficult. Kent is right. But damn the thing can be tinkered with if your into that kinda thing. :blushing: Just a lot of fun.

So whats the odds of axleing a double progressive? :huh:

Dean

I've axle'd my single progressive stack and also axle'd a 4 stack of 1.5's and that was more luck than anything. lol

You'll have to let us know if the double stack is possible. I would only try it if you have someone down wind with the stack to re-set all the kites back up (an untangle). he he he...

It's a bit different. The double progressive. I'm a tweaker when it comes to customizing a kite like this. It doesn't have to be so difficult. Kent is right. But damn the thing can be tinkered with if your into that kinda thing. :blushing: Just a lot of fun.

So whats the odds of axleing a double progressive? :huh:

Dean

Should be easy to Axel.

Tie the bottom lines,One to each foot and the tops to your hands,,,,,away ya gooooooooo

The stack Looks Kewl btw.Fly me over the pond for some Balast.

Thanks for the post and info.Im sure thers a few folk intrested and now tempted.

didnt edit btw

BRIAN...

Edited by big bri

I'm thinking the axle will work. I too have axled the single progressive stack. First to the left, slight pause, then back to the right. Should have seen Rescue's face :lol: I said, "see, theres enough wind to fly it." Then I started flying in reverse and he called me a Weasel. :lol: 2008 Lincoln City Fall Kite Festival ;)

I did kinda almost attempt an axle with the double. I personally fly with alot of brake. Especially on stacks that pull that hard. Personal style I guess. John (RescueRev) uses 15" handles when he fly's his stack. I really can't stand the feel of the 15's. I'd like to try my 13" Pro handles. I'm pretty sure that with my handles and my prefered brake setting I'll be able to axle it without a spotter. I have a problem with leverage with the 15's. I started to give it the input for an axle and felt the wind come up just slightly. Just slightly enough that only the 1st 3 kites half axled. :blushing: the other 3 just kinda flopped. But that one attempt (kinda) told me what needs to happen to axle successfully.

Basically it's like with dual line kites. Smaller kites take smaller quicker inputs. The bigger the kite, the slower more fluid you need to be to get the same result. Make sense? So the Double will take more of a smooth arm movment rather than a quick wrist flick.

Would I have a claim to fame if I can do it and get it on video? :lol:

Dean

I'm thinking the axle will work. I too have axled the single progressive stack. First to the left, slight pause, then back to the right. Should have seen Rescue's face :lol: I said, "see, theres enough wind to fly it." Then I started flying in reverse and he called me a Weasel. :lol: 2008 Lincoln City Fall Kite Festival ;)

I did kinda almost attempt an axle with the double. I personally fly with alot of brake. Especially on stacks that pull that hard. Personal style I guess. John (RescueRev) uses 15" handles when he fly's his stack. I really can't stand the feel of the 15's. I'd like to try my 13" Pro handles. I'm pretty sure that with my handles and my prefered brake setting I'll be able to axle it without a spotter. I have a problem with leverage with the 15's. I started to give it the input for an axle and felt the wind come up just slightly. Just slightly enough that only the 1st 3 kites half axled. :blushing: the other 3 just kinda flopped. But that one attempt (kinda) told me what needs to happen to axle successfully.

Basically it's like with dual line kites. Smaller kites take smaller quicker inputs. The bigger the kite, the slower more fluid you need to be to get the same result. Make sense? So the Double will take more of a smooth arm movment rather than a quick wrist flick.

Would I have a claim to fame if I can do it and get it on video? :lol:

Dean

I got $20 that says Dean will axle my double stack. I have also decided to go to 13" handles and I will let everyone know how that works out. I would try to axle my stack but I don't have enough time left on mother earth to untangle that mess :lol:

RescueRev