Flying Evolution rather than Revolution

Mr Git

Well I had the day off to go flying, but I was leaving the Rev's in the bag today - I was going to try something else... Evolution's!!!

Not a particularly good day (weather wise) for it as it turned out, too hot, and barely a breeze, but we still had a fistfull of fun. :D

Started off indoors with a couple of 2' wingspaner's, before going out to the flying grounds and gradually moving up to the big stuff and finishing with the 8' 'Liberty'. Of course, with these conditions, things tended to have a mind of their own, but we managed to keep things under control.

A great afternoon, and yes I'd love one, but it'll have to wait until I'm better with what I've got and could afford them the attention they need and deserve.

A 'Six footer'

post-2288-1246476374_thumb.jpg

Liberty - The '8 footer'

post-2288-1246476394_thumb.jpg

I used to 'fly' an American Eagle Owl & a pair of Kestrels, Didn't own them, but got out most weekends with them. Always let them catch their own bunny on the way home.

Agreed, they are amazing creatures and being able to unleash one is a rare treat.

Sweet!

Many moons ago, I used to work with a guy who was world renown for his work with birds of prey (in fact he left the job to work full time with them), and so I've got to fly (and hunt) with raptors before.

Today we flew with Archie the Tawny Owl (I love these!), Whisper the Barn Owl, both indoors. Then a clutch of Harris Hawks, 2 @ the same time - Jock and Phoenix which was equally confusing and fun. Then probably my favourite, Yooneek the Ferrouginous Hawk - a real character. A treat next, Bovril the European Eagle Owl, the second biggest species of owl in the world, 4Lb's in weight with a 6' wing span, and I've seen these scare Police dogs by just sitting there!!! Last - and definitely not least, weighing in at 11Lbs 12oz, Liberty the ALASKAN Bald Eagle. HUGE!!!

Going to go hunting with Harris Hawks this Autumn, with these guys, can't wait!!!

Edited by Mr Git

Was this at the conservancy?

Not this time :)

This was at the Liberty's Owl, Raptor and Reptile Center just outside Ringwood. It's not as big and polished as the Conservancy, but they're nice people and I'm more than happy to support what they're trying to do. They rescued this place and it's inhabitants after the previous owner turned out not to be a very nice person...

Have a look.

Liberty's

Well I had the day off to go flying, but I was leaving the Rev's in the bag today - I was going to try something else... Evolution's!!!

Not a particularly good day (weather wise) for it as it turned out, too hot, and barely a breeze, but we still had a fistfull of fun. :D

Started off indoors with a couple of 2' wingspaner's, before going out to the flying grounds and gradually moving up to the big stuff and finishing with the 8' 'Liberty'. Of course, with these conditions, things tended to have a mind of their own, but we managed to keep things under control.

A great afternoon, and yes I'd love one, but it'll have to wait until I'm better with what I've got and could afford them the attention they need and deserve.

Thank you so very much these photos are amazing........... Ben :blue-cool: :blue-cool: :blue-cool:

A 'Six footer'

post-2288-1246476374_thumb.jpg

Liberty - The '8 footer'

post-2288-1246476394_thumb.jpg

This was at the Liberty's Owl, Raptor and Reptile Center just outside Ringwood.

Wow, how neat! I've driven past the place a few times before and been meaning to pop in some time. Now I definitely will, those birds look just amazing!

Gorgeous photos! Here in the Pacific Northwest I get to see falcons, hawks and the occasional bald eagle flying in the distance. It is nice to see how beautiful they are close up. Owls have a special place in my heart as well. Unfortunately the last time I saw one in person was not a happy meeting. We crossed paths while I was driving a semi one night in northern California, only got to see him briefly before the truck mirror struck him. I was devastated, did not sleep well that night..... 5.gif

Gorgeous photos! Here in the Pacific Northwest I get to see falcons, hawks and the occasional bald eagle flying in the distance. It is nice to see how beautiful they are close up. Owls have a special place in my heart as well. Unfortunately the last time I saw one in person was not a happy meeting. We crossed paths while I was driving a semi one night in northern California, only got to see him briefly before the truck mirror struck him. I was devastated, did not sleep well that night..... 5.gif

Aww I know what you mean. I brake HARD for anything not human (they should know better) esp as I do 50K miles plus a year. I mainly get to see Kestrels, Buzzards and Kites as I drive around, with the odd falcon now and again.

Thanks for the comments. Wish the photo's were better, but I only had my compact digi, and one hand free! The other had a leather gauntlet on, holding bits of dead day old chicken chick and/or a large bird of prey!!!