Soon to be Rev'd!

airin

Question

I used to fly dual lines back in the day when you'd be lucky to see one Rev on the field. I was intrigued by the new kite shape but strangely my, then, kite flying pal poo-poo'd them. So we flew the dual lines till life interfered, the kites got stored, dusty, neglected and then finally sold off before the nylon wasted totally away. I kept one kite, my 3/4 'Top of the Line' North Shore Extreme, anyone remember those? It was a agile little kite that I had learned to fly on and its sowen and glued nose attested to the many crashes I and other learners had put it through.

A few weeks ago, having dug out my rainbow dual line for a little old time flying down at Garry Point near Vancouver, another flyer welcomed me and in conversation mentioned the upcoming annual kite festival at Vanier Park. Those days of kite festivals have such warm memories for me so I borrowed my friends' three year old and took her for a day with the kites. She loved the teddy bear drop, I loved the 16 Rev mega fly!

I was totally stoked after watching the precise and creative maneuvers of the quad line kites at that annual BCKA festival on Saturday. Late that night I was hovering over the netbook doing search after search, gathering knowledge and information on the Revolution kite. By Tuesday of the following week I had a B-Series Night Rev on order from 'A Wind of Change'. B-series seemed a good place to start according to much that I had read and the highly praised online store carried the Night kite whose colours were particularly appealing to me as I am one to shy away from too many dark or subdued colours on a kite sail.

My goals are clear. I want to build up the basic skills necessary to fly in a group. Group flying was not something I had done much in the past, well not flying purposefully in patterns with others, though I suppose you could say we often flew in groups, with many of us on the field, yet each of us flying in our own world. I would love to fly together, really together, with others and it looks like the Rev is throwing the door wide open for kite flyers everywhere to join together in flying. How very exciting!

I am very cautiously also hoping that some day I will have developed the skill to actually fly as part of a team. I know there is the local Island Quad team nearby but I'm not sure if there is actually a Vancouver team of Rev flyers....well nevermind, if there isn't one now maybe by the time I'm become a real Rev flyer a team will emerge and I'll be there following the leader.

In the meantime, I wait, trying not to be impatient as I dust off my kite skills with my little dual line. Winds of Change have said that due to the Night Rev's popularity, they are out of stock at the moment...ahhhhhhh...<thud>....

...patience my heart, patience!

16 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the forum and it may be a little premature as your kite hasn't arrived yet, but welcome to The Darkside :big_starwars:

Oh, and be sure to keep your own advice and be patient, wait for those colours you want. I know it may seem like a long wait right now but it will be worth it, trust me, you will be starring up at it for many more hours than you will be waiting for it and that will give you way too many hours to regret any loss of patience now.

A piece of advice I got from my Mum, “Remember, all good things are worth waiting for”, hang on in there. :)

You're in for such a treat, Airin. I own a couple of deltas and a couple of power kites, but nothing compares to my rev. I only bought it some two months ago and am, like yourself, new to these forums, but I've lost interest in flying anything else. Which is good, because I need -a lot- of practice! Anyway, welcome and good winds!

Thanks for the welcome!

RS67Man, I noticed that Night Rev in the mega fly... it stood out for me. So what made you choose the Night kite and how do you like it when compared with the more common Rev B colours?

Yrna, yeah, kind of strange how the dual line flying eventually loses it interest. I am thinking that many possibilities that the Rev offers should keep quad line flying going for me for a long time to come. Can't wait to get going!

We are just confirming some final details needed for tenting at the upcoming Kite Festival in Long Beach Washington. I haven't been there in ages but used to love to go to that big air event in years past. I hope I get enough flying in when the new Rev comes that I can at least keep it in the air when I get down to the festival in August. I'll probably be bugging you guys for some tips so look out!

RS67Man, I noticed that Night Rev in the mega fly... it stood out for me. So what made you choose the Night kite and how do you like it when compared with the more common Rev B colours?

I bought it last November to Stave off that seasonal affective disorder us PNW natives suffer from over our long and dreary winter. It worked. I like it because JB doesn't, :devil: and I always get little kids to mess with when I am flying. They seem to pick mine out of the crowd to chase after. B)

I will be at WSIKF, See ya there!

I bought it last November to Stave off that seasonal affective disorder us PNW natives suffer from over our long and dreary winter. It worked. I like it because JB doesn't, :devil: and I always get little kids to mess with when I am flying. They seem to pick mine out of the crowd to chase after. B)

I will be at WSIKF, See ya there!

Hah, good reason!

Yup, I look forward to meeting you and all the other Rev'ers at Long Beach. Already excited!

Well my new and first Rev arrived this week. Today was a perfect wind day, sun shining, I couldn't wait to hit Vanier Park to try out the quad. For good luck I put up my single line parafoil with its 50 foot tails. It sat politely off to the side as I set up the Night Series 1.5 for the first time.

And then the fun began! Trying to fly that thing was like riding a bronco. Up, sideways, down, flip around, spin on the flat.....sheesh, who would've thought I'd be walking back and forth this much!

And then there was the line snarl. Guess it wasn't such a good idea to try launching, over and over with the lines crossed, eh? That one took an hour and a half to sort out. Glad it was such a nice day out as I sat on the grass under the single line, unraveling the four lines.

This Rev beast has very little in common with the its dual.line cousins, that's one thing I now know for sure!

So I just read through the Rev manual, the link of which was posted here. I like the idea of launching with the leading edge up as I found trying to get the kite turned over while lifting off with the leading edge down, today, was quite a challenge. But there seems be a lot of criticism of this manual for suggesting the leading edge up launch. Well if I don't go that route, I wonder is there is an explanation somewhere that describes the hand positions for a leading edge down launch. I watched the DVD that came with the kite but it all happens so quickly I really still don't have a solid sense of what is going on in a Rev launch.

Anyways, luckily I have a month of summer holidays coming up....plenty of time to practice and judging by today's three ring circus, I'm going to need it!

Hi,

re your question about leading edge up launch.

The idea is that the kite is more stable, and less likley to launch on its own or wit a person tripping on the lines with the leading edge "parked" in the down position. To launch simply turn the kite over by tilting one handle (normaly so that the lines are now all straight to the kite) then fly away.

Eventually you will be as happy with reverse launch as forward launch.

If you are flying in a private area or there is another person to "supervise" the kite I see no problem with setting the kite with leading edge up. However leading edge down is a good habit to get in to. I must admit I still have to think how to stake my handles to get it the right way round.

Best advice anyone can give you as a new flier, find another Rev pilot to fly with. you will come on leaps and bounds in your abilities.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction, I thought I would only need one or two Revs, that was 16 ago.

Hi,

re your question about leading edge up launch.

The idea is that the kite is more stable, and less likley to launch on its own or wit a person tripping on the lines with the leading edge "parked" in the down position. To launch simply turn the kite over by tilting one handle (normaly so that the lines are now all straight to the kite) then fly away.

Eventually you will be as happy with reverse launch as forward launch.

If you are flying in a private area or there is another person to "supervise" the kite I see no problem with setting the kite with leading edge up. However leading edge down is a good habit to get in to. I must admit I still have to think how to stake my handles to get it the right way round.

Best advice anyone can give you as a new flier, find another Rev pilot to fly with. you will come on leaps and bounds in your abilities.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction, I thought I would only need one or two Revs, that was 16 ago.

What a great suggestion, to tip the kite THEN launch it. I thought from the Rev DVD that you had to launch it from the LE down position and was having a really tough time getting to spin round in the air once I got it off the ground.

I'll try to get out tomorrow for a flying shesh and give that technique a try. Thanks a lot!

Also, I am running 100 ft line and wondering if it would be easier to learn on shorter lines, say 75 ft?

I have to say that from a beginner standpoint I found LE up launches to be easier to achieve. Now I prefer LE down launches for the reasons already stated. If I ever encounter a new flier where I live that wants help I'm going to start with LE up. I think, though, that you should start with what feels comfortable for you right now then move onwards as your ability sharpens. There is no crime in doing an upright launch a few hundred times!

Bart

. There is no crime in doing an upright launch a few hundred times!

Bart

I think I needed to hear that.

Thanks Bart.

So much info available on how to fly a Rev, and some of it feels kind of conflicting for someone like me just starting. I'm sure it will all fall into place over time.

Welcome Airin,

I always used to do LE up launches because that's what the original vid i got 6 or 7 years ago told me to do, it's only through using this forum for the last year or so and meeting up with some other Rev Flyers that my techniques and habits have really changed so you've come to the right place for good advice! - I'd suggest, as others have, as soon as you're able to turn the kite over from parked or reverse launch that it provides the better option.

Finally, for team flying i will quote the advice given to me from a certain large gentleman on this very forum "own thy hover".

Enjoy your rev - they're GRRRRRRREAT, to quote tony the tiger

:P

In the meantime, I wait, trying not to be impatient as I dust off my kite skills with my little dual line. Winds of Change have said that due to the Night Rev's popularity, they are out of stock at the moment...ahhhhhhh...<thud>....

...patience my heart, patience!

I have only flown 5 sessions but I two things I have learned. I am not a two lined flyer but if you are keep your hands together, not having your hands parallel with the REV is an advanced flying. Second thing I have learned is that crashing is part of learning and now I only crash when I am trying to learn new things like flying inverted. Give it a while you will learn to fly just like driving a car.