Hello, another newbie.

simon109

Question

Hi,

Very new to kites, first saw Rev kites last year down at the kite festivel at Southsea and then just recently at Basingstoke. I didn't relise there was so many different versions :blink: So as complete newbie can you recommend some posts to read ?

Thanks.

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome onboard SAW,

Read anything that takes your fancy.I think thers many,many new flyers posts that are quite easy to find.That will perhaps point ya in the direction and you will find intresting or personal to you.

Advice i would give is simple realy.Just for starters,

1]Decide on which rev or Revs

2]Get a dvd.John Bs comes with the B Series and its a cracker.Links on the Forum .Thers always You Tube stuff also.

3]Practice,Practice,Practice and dont give up.Ask if ya need help

4]Find some other Revolution flyers that are Local to you and get together.Its much,much better to learn from others than struggle along alone.

5]E N J O Y

Have a goodn

BRIAN...

Edited by big bri

first saw Rev kites last year down at the kite festivel at Southsea and then just recently at Basingstoke.

hello, and welcome....

we are always learning new things here.... ;)

Last weekend you probably saw a few of us getting to grips with the new Blasts too (?)

Quite a few of us are flying around the skies of Hampshire now :)

So you want to fly a rev...? :)

The information here can be overwhelming.

Maybe look in this section that compares the EXP, SLE and B-series (if you haven't already bought one)....

and all that Bri says, Enjoy :)

Very new to kites, first saw Rev kites last year down at the kite festivel at Southsea and then just recently at Basingstoke. I didn't relise there was so many different versions :blink: So as complete newbie can you recommend some posts to read ?

These are two recent ones that pretty well cover it,

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2808

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2818

Last weekend you probably saw a few of us getting to grips with the new Blasts too (?)

Not a good one for a newbie though. Most people go for one of the 1.5s first time out. It's a good stating point for any Rev collection.

Edited for spelling correction

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob

Not a good one (Blast) for a newbie though. Most people go for one of the 1.5s first time out.

Totally agree Bob, I was referring to the learning thing...

The Blast being new to some of us. Definitely wouldn't wish to learn from scratch on it ;)

cheerio

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You will get lots of advice here and there is no such thing as a silly question so don't worry about asking away. If you get the chance, come along to the Blackheath Kite festival this weekend. You will see lots of Revs there and a face to face chat with someone will save you hours of time on your home field. Look out for our team there and come and say hi.

The Blast being new to some of us. Definitely wouldn't wish to learn from scratch on it ;)

I know Choccs, it's blatantly obvious to us but maybe not to a newbie, and I wanted to make sure your observation was not taken as a recommendation.

Thanks for the replies and links.

Ok so what does 2/3 wrap mean, vented/non vented ? (some panel(s) are mesh) how do I know which I am going to need and how do I make a choice or even small selection out of so many ? :blush:

Edited by SAW

Ok so what does 2/3 wrap mean, vented/non vented ? (some panel(s) are mesh) how do I know which I am going to need and how do I make a choice or even small selection out of so many ? :blush:

The wraps refer to how strong/light the spars and leading edge rods are. The smaller the number the lighter the rod/spar, a lighter spar will fly in lighter wind but will not survive the hard landings a newbie might impart on it.

Vented does mean that some panels are mesh, in a higher wind you can still control the kite. Although a vented kite set up with lightweight rods can be fun to fly in less of a wind because it is so smooth. The decision between vented and non vented depends on your location, if you have stronger winds regularly you might want a vented kite to start. If not, a standard sail. Eventually you will probably end up with both.

-Alden

P.S. I recommend a power blast 4-8 for Choccy! :lol:

Last seen, flying somewhere over 2,000 ft and rising....

So .. whereabouts in Hampshire are you based?? come and have a go on the different Revs before you purchase .... between us Hampshire flyers we have just about everything in the Rev range and have even put together a loan kit for new flyers to use before buying...

As Stephen says Blackheath should be good this weekend but if you don't want to travel so far (depending on where you are!) there is a 'Jolly up' on Butser hill which may have a few Rev flyers at ...

Oh and Welcome!

Did you read this post in "Standard or vented"?

I also feel it’s better for a newbie to have something a little overpowered rather than under powered as it gives more obvious feedback.

Unless you live on top of Ben Nevis I would always recommend a full sail as a first Rev for any one in the UK our weather is to unpredictable and we can never guarantee the wind, it may be a bit different for some of our American friends who can often set their clocks by the wind speed and direction. ;)

cheerio

I got my Power Blast 2-4 1 week after getting my first EXP course I'm not right in the head either so I'm probably not the best example :lol:

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi,

Best way forward is to meet up with some of those very helpful folk who also live in Hants and check out what they fly (and lend out).

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

Did you read this post in "Standard or vented"?

Yes but still not sure :P being the in UK the weathers changes by the hour so I can see why lots of you have multiple Revs.

So .. whereabouts in Hampshire are you based??

In Bordon, about 15-20mins from Buster Hill. was there this evening attemping to fly my HQ Bebop :blushing: now thinking how long will a Rev last me :blink:

So how would complete noob kite flyer get on with a Rev ?

Buster Hill is very handy for me but I've also got a large(ish) playing field just down the road, no where near as windy as Buster so am I right in thinking this type of place is best for a vented Rev ?

Thanks.

Yes but still not sure :P being the in UK the weathers changes by the hour so I can see why lots of you have multiple Revs.

Exactly. :clap;

Which is why I said,

Unless you live on top of Ben Nevis I would always recommend a full sail as a first Rev for any one in the UK our weather is too unpredictable and we can never guarantee the wind …..

Because,

I also feel it’s better for a newbie to have something a little overpowered rather than under powered as it gives more obvious feedback.

Get the sail choice made and the frame choice is made for you unless of course you get into custom order territory, but if I were you I think I would want to learn to walk before I started thinking about running.

Lets make this as simple as possible for you. First time out you need a standard kite, this, this, this or this. The EXP and Black Series UL are framed with effectively the same sticks and so is the B Series but that also has an additional “Pro Use Only” frame (explained here). The SLE, this one has a thicker, stiffer leading edge (SLE actually stands for Super Leading Edge) twice diameter of the other rods but the same wall thickness. The sle (rods) are no longer as popular with experienced fliers as it is considered too stiff however they are extremely resilient and therefore not a bad choice for a newbie.

Thanks.

Well after reading through those you suggested, being a newbie I should be looking at the REV EXP or REV 1.5 SLE.

Edit, don't really like the colour designs on the EXP but do like the REV 1.5 SLE Black/Lime/Blue B)

Edited by SAW

Thanks.

Well after reading through those you suggested, being a newbie I should be looking at the REV EXP or REV 1.5 SLE.

Edit, don't really like the colour designs on the EXP but do like the REV 1.5 SLE Black/Lime/Blue B)

Don't dismiss the B Series, it does work out a bit more expensive, especially as it usually comes without lines but if you can afford the extra cash it offers excellent VFM as it increases your set up options considerably, see here.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

In Bordon, about 15-20mins from Buster Hill. was there this evening attemping to fly my HQ Bebop :blushing: now thinking how long will a Rev last me :blink:

So how would complete noob kite flyer get on with a Rev ?

Buster Hill is very handy for me but I've also got a large(ish) playing field just down the road, no where near as windy as Buster so am I right in thinking this type of place is best for a vented Rev ?

Thanks.

Some while since I was on Butser hill, could be nice and breezy there too from what I remember. we have good winds here, the nice helpful folk who measure and record wind speeds across the UK reckon this (the UK) to be the windiest place in Europe, probably why another new wind farm is being constructed 5 miles from our flying site.

You will need both sails but how much use you make of either much depends on where you fly.

Today was the 15th consecutive time I have flown a well loaded vented kite since 24th May, though it looks as if tomorrow might just be a full sail for a change.

Based on data collected over the last 30 years the 24hr average windspeed here is 12mph, real nice to live by the coast. :)

Edited by Harrier

:angry::big_blowup: Arrgghh can't decide which to get and need to order one asap it's burning a hole in my jeans !

I'm thinking of just the EXP as it's the cheapest and it's not the end of the world if I don't get on with it ? or the 1.5 SLE as it has a good wind range and one of the best selling or go the hole hog and splash out on the B series :ani_giveup:

I'm thinking of just the EXP as it's the cheapest and it's not the end of the world if I don't get on with it ? or the 1.5 SLE as it has a good wind range and one of the best selling or go the hole hog and splash out on the B series ani_giveup.gif
Not a bad way to go, there is nothing wrong with the exp, don't eat yourself up over this chances are you will have a bag full of Revs in 18 months time, anyway. :)

Can you get an SLE with out the SLE (excluding the UL of course)?

I did, I just asked my kite shop to order it that way from Rev.

I believe the 2008 and forward models come with the 3-Wrap now. I know that Mr. Dave, will let you pick your frame.

Rx

Quote From a West Coast Kite Pusher

"NOTE: NEW 2008 MODELS NOW IN STOCK!!

Review: Std now framed with 3-wrap frame, SUL 2-wrap, Vented 4-wrap. You can request any of above frames for each model at no extra cost! The Revolution 1.5 is my all time favorite kite to fly. Propeller-like spins, forward and reverse flight, 0-60 in about a second, inverted slides, instant stops. These kites do it all. Made in the USA of excellent materials coupled with outstanding workmanship. In the hands of an experienced flyer, nothing attracts the crowd quite like a Rev! So cool, I named my dog after it"!

Edited by rxburner