Banner Pole

mdilucca

What would you use as a pole for an 8 foot banner?

Cheers

Mario

I would use a 9 foot banner pole!

But seriously if it is a straight banner you can use 14mm glassfibre rods or if you have too much money a super blast leading edge.

Edited by Stephen Hoath

What would you use as a pole for an 8 foot banner?

Cheers

Mario

Mario,

Check out WalMart ... they have an assortment of large, collapsible fishing poles for about $8 (US). They're fiberglass poles advertised for pan fish. Using the first three sections of the 13 foot pole looks like it would work for an 8 foot banner.

Cheers,

Tom

Bah, I totally came here to post that! Now that I'm a True Believer in the supremacy of 1/4" LEs, I feel compelled to proselytize.

I thought when I first read your post that that was where you were coming from but don’t get me wrong, I haven’t written it of as a kite spar, admittedly it does now get more supporting my banner than in a kite but I have not ruined it and if it’s really howling, believe me, it will get put back in a kite.

The collapsible poles from the fishing department are called "crappie poles" I have a few, and I also have the astoundingly similar kite banner poles. Upon close examination of mine, two things are clear. 1 - there is no doubt that they are made in the same factory of the same material by the same people, and 2 - the kite pole is heavier duty. That being said, so far I have been unsuccessful at breaking the crappie pole...it just bends more.

How important is the fabric on these things?

I am trying to get something made up really quick for the weekend and it sounds like a place can do it with a sort of fiberglass reinforced material. Sounds like it would be light enough to flap in the wind and strong enough not to flap apart, but I do need to go and look at it. Options are limited. One place I called here hadn't even seen one before to know what I was talking about.

How far in the ground does the pole need to go? The PCV tube may be my best option for a pole, but what I find will dictate the final length of this. I don't have time to research "proper" banner sizing and what not so quick tips is appreciated.

Thanks.

Bart

Bart,

Go to one of your local farm stores or a place that sells the 3/8 inch diameter by four foot long solid fiberglass poles for light duty electric fences (the ones I bought were a light gray). They sell for between $1 and $2. Also buy a couple of inches of 3/8 inch ID hose to slip down over the top of the pole ... I put a piece at the top and one in the middle. Drive this pole into the ground ... depth will depend on ground conditions. Then slide the banner pole over the fiberglass pole ... the hose is to help protect the inside of the banner pole. With this set up you have a cheap, flexible post in the ground and your banner pole will be at it's full length.

As to the banner, almost any material will work ... 200 denier nylon seems to be the recommended material. Stay away from sharp points on the down wind edge ... or really reinforce them. The constant flapping in high winds will fray them otherwise.

Cheers,

Tom

Hmm, I thought I deleted that post before anyone replied.

In any event. Can't be done here. I drove to the place that said they could do it and it was a waste of time. What I told them on the phone went in one ear and out the other. They thought I was talking about a banner to go across a street. The material, that I specifially said NOT VINYL, was vinyl and thick enough to stand without the pole! if it got windy enought to flutter it I wouldn't want to be standing near it!

Thanks for the tip though on a ground rod. I'll remember that.

Bart