standard or vented

dazlarsen

Question

Hello all

I have just joined and want to say hello....

Right the question I have is..

Should I buy a standard rev or vented as I can use the vented in all winds.This is a question from a complete rev noob

who has only flown an exp that belongs to a friend.Sorry for the stupid question but I need help...

Hello all

I have just joined and want to say hello....

Right the question I have is..

Should I buy a standard rev or vented as I can use the vented in all winds.This is a question from a complete rev noob

who has only flown an exp that belongs to a friend.Sorry for the stupid question but I need help...

It's not a stupid question. :-)

It depends mostly on where you will be flying more than anything else. is it typically windy, ie, beyond 10mph? Go with a vent. If it's more varied towards lower winds, go with a standard. Enjoy!

It's not a stupid question. :-)

It depends mostly on where you will be flying more than anything else. is it typically windy, ie, beyond 10mph? Go with a vent. If it's more varied towards lower winds, go with a standard. Enjoy!

Sorry forgot to mention I live in Colchester Essex.The winds vary but I am wanting a rev that I can fly in all winds

Get a standard. People say you can fly Venteds in low winds with lighter frames, and that's true. But in lighter winds they feel very soft and sluggish, and certain maneuvers get very difficult (rising vertical side slides come to mind). They also require a lot of effort to keep in the air unless you're getting consistent, smooth light wind.

Standards, on the other hand, work very well the vast majority of the time. In higher winds, they pull a fair bit and become very sensitive—but they do fly, and you can mitigate the effects of strong winds to a great extent by flying nearer to the edges of the window. In lighter to moderate winds, they give a much more positive feel than a vented, as well as snappier control and easy access to the full gamut of available maneuvers. They also handle light-variable winds better because you can just fly or hover normally through lulls rather than having to stop whatever you're doing and work to keep the kite aloft. Finally, there is no doubt that a standard will fly in much lower wind than a vented. In fact, it's possible, with the right lines and technique, to do zero-wind flying with a standard.

Edited by kairusan

Vented gets much more airtime than std for me on the south coast. But the semivents even more so! The only problem with the semi is you only get one frame set as I recall and not sure if this is reflected in the price.

Have you talked to those nice guys at Kiteworld. They are a good shop, sell revs and better still they are kite flyers in your neck of the woods. They should know what would be best for your winds.

Www.Kiteworld.co.uk

Vented gets much more airtime than std for me on the south coast. But the semivents even more so! The only problem with the semi is you only get one frame set as I recall and not sure if this is reflected in the price.

Yes, I too fly my vented way more often than I do my standard. I'm just thinking from the perspective of if I was only going to have one Rev, which one would it be? In that case, I'd still take the standard over even the midvent, for all the reasons I mentioned above. (That said, midvents are pretty awesome and I'd totally get one if I had the cashola and bag space.)

Yes, I too fly my vented way more often than I do my standard. I'm just thinking from the perspective of if I was only going to have one Rev, which one would it be? In that case, I'd still take the standard over even the midvent, for all the reasons I mentioned above. (That said, midvents are pretty awesome and I'd totally get one if I had the cashola and bag space.)

Hey thanks to everyone who has commented on what I thought would be a stupid question.I will have to check out the mid vent and ask a few questions.Once again thank you for all your help and I will let you know which rev I will get after a chat with those nice people at kiteworld... :):):)

Hey thanks to everyone who has commented on what I thought would be a stupid question.I will have to check out the mid vent and ask a few questions.Once again thank you for all your help and I will let you know which rev I will get after a chat with those nice people at kiteworld... :):):)

Hi, There is a bunch of us who fly on the coast to the east of you, just along from Kiteworld, around 80% of the time we are using full vents, Rev 1's with the SLE are popular here too.

Early and late in the year we use mega vents quite a lot, just this last week or more its been well loaded full vents every day in brilliant sunshine, such a blasted hard life. :lol:

Some pics from last weeks fly.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/flyincam/Hav...678548378746306

Edited by Harrier

It's kind of like asking, "I want to start playing golf, should I buy a set of woods, or a set of irons?"

:lol:

You will wind up with both in your bag. ;)

Exactly though I always recommend full sail first, there's nothing worse than a vented kite and low wind, at least with a full sail and a strong wind you can fly, it might be a bit challenging and you might have to be a bit careful but you will be able to fly. I also feel it’s better for a newbie to have something a little overpowered rather than under powered as it gives more obvious feedback.

I find a mid vent is a good compromise:)

Well it's a compromise though I wouldn't say its a good one.

The mid vent is a good kite, I had a custom one made up to match an existing set, but I don't think it's good move as a first kite, neither fish nor foul. If you buy a std B series (or a vented come to that) you are only one kite away from having petty much the whole wind range covered (there is considerable overlap between the range of the std and vented), if you start with the mid vent you will still two more kites to cover both extremes.

Im with Bob.Dont think its an accident they dont do the starter EXP in a vent.UNLESS YA BURN HOLES INT.... :rolleyes:,but who would do that .

A standard sale is a prefrence for sure.Lift isnt so much of a worry then to a new flyer,more of a challenge if the winds higher

Just my 2ps worth

All the best

BRIAN...

It's kind of like asking, "I want to start playing golf, should I buy a set of woods, or a set of iron?"...

Jeff,

I really liked your analogy, until I got to thinking. There are quite a few golf courses where three strokes is par for all the holes ... one only need a set of irons. And of course, don't forget miniature golf where a putter is the club of choice. So, there might be folks/situations out there where a single kite is all that is needed.

Cheers,

Tom

Jeff,

I really liked your analogy, until I got to thinking. There are quite a few golf courses where three strokes is par for all the holes ... one only need a set of irons. And of course, don't forget miniature golf where a putter is the club of choice. So, there might be folks/situations out there where a single kite is all that is needed.

Cheers,

Tom

Well, stop thinking then! :P (And BTW, Miniature Golf is not Golf...it's "Miniature Golf." ;) )

My answer was a bit glib, to be sure, but the point of course was that there is equipment to cover the range of possible conditions, as no single piece can do that. So you need to look at what is most likely the most useful equipment to allow you to play as much of the game as possible...

So pressed for an answer to prioritize the order of acquisition, I would go with the irons...er, I mean the standard. I agree with the other comments about better to be a bit overpowered than underpowered. My first purchase was an SUL.

Well, stop thinking then! :P (And BTW, Miniature Golf is not Golf...it's "Miniature Golf." ;) )

My answer was a bit glib, to be sure, but the point of course was that there is equipment to cover the range of possible conditions, as no single piece can do that. So you need to look at what is most likely the most useful equipment to allow you to play as much of the game as possible...

So pressed for an answer to prioritize the order of acquisition, I would go with the irons...er, I mean the standard. I agree with the other comments about better to be a bit overpowered than underpowered. My first purchase was an SUL.

Golf,A game within a game i found.T to hole thers so many variations.

CRAZY GOLF FOR ME

BRIAN... :blink:

Mines a Similar story as Chris above.Dont think you will go to far wrong with the EXP.

Best advice i could give now is practice Often as possible and find other Rev flyers to fly with.Flying with folks that have been through the pain barrier.Will bring your skills on ten times quicker....usually.

Its great fun to.

E N J O Y

BRIAN...

You have made up my mind.Its got to be the EXP!!!!Once I am confident flying it,I might invest in a mid vent or full vent or both depending on the bank balance.Thanks for all the comments,and help

If you want to try what is without doubt the most widely used and best general purpose Rev for this part of England come along to the Haven at Holland on Sea and we will happily put a B vented in your hands.

One chap who flys with us comes from Colchester, it ain't far from here, pm and we will sort something out, we can sure show you how not to fly the things.

PS. be careful taking Rev advice from Big Bri, he has probably lashed out on more than 50 Revs and still ain,t got the right one. :lol:

most of these old fella's started out with EXP's because the B series had not been born in their day, y'know when beer was thruppence a gallon etc etc.

Thank you for that Harrier, of course you can not remember the thruppence a gallon Days being so young, rich and handsome yourself. (tee hee)

Just thought of another piece of advice.

Although an EXP will fly well, it is not as accomplished a kite as maybe a B or even a B pro now. You will find it is an example of you get what you pay fro. ALL Revs are FANTASTIC fun. However some are more fun than others.

Although a good Rev flier could make an EXP fly in very low wind, dont be suprised if you can not. You might well find the situation where other fliers are having no probems with thiers and you have a lot of problems. Partly down to skill and partly down to the kite.

I went to a fest recently where there was only a breath of wind, I find light wind flying frustrating so did not fly at all. I did open my bag though to let one of the other guys try one of my kites.

The reason I am posting this is just to warn you that the EXP is cheaper, however it has more limitation, in my opinion in low wind.

And if you can get to meet Harrier GO FOR IT, it will give you a HUGE jump start in your Revability.

Thank you for that Harrier, of course you can not remember the thruppence a gallon Days being so young, rich and handsome yourself. (tee hee)

Just thought of another piece of advice.

Although an EXP will fly well, it is not as accomplished a kite as maybe a B or even a B pro now. You will find it is an example of you get what you pay fro. ALL Revs are FANTASTIC fun. However some are more fun than others.

Although a good Rev flier could make an EXP fly in very low wind, dont be suprised if you can not. You might well find the situation where other fliers are having no probems with thiers and you have a lot of problems. Partly down to skill and partly down to the kite.

I went to a fest recently where there was only a breath of wind, I find light wind flying frustrating so did not fly at all. I did open my bag though to let one of the other guys try one of my kites.

The reason I am posting this is just to warn you that the EXP is cheaper, however it has more limitation, in my opinion in low wind.

And if you can get to meet Harrier GO FOR IT, it will give you a HUGE jump start in your Revability.

WOW WOW WOW

I can not believe how helpful you lot are.I am seriously thinking mid vent now but will try and make up my mind.I am hoping to meet a few of you at Plough corner this weekend (weather permitting).And fingers crossed you might let me have a go.Just remember expensive kites in Rev virgins hands.Do I need to bring my own replacement spars ha ha ha ha.

All the best

Daz B)B)B)

Harrier, of course you can not remember the thruppence a gallon Days being so young, rich and handsome yourself. (tee hee)

Thank you for that Chris, I am afraid however that the rich bit is no longer true, since going seriously over budget with the wind tunnel at Kiteworkshops.inc we have been removed from the Forbes lists.

Daz has now taken his first steps on the road to ruin and no doubt we will show him all sorts of "cantdowithout" things which cost a fortune.

No problem over the next few days with not enough winds for an EXP… the gusts on lighter wind days here can be fun too, they usually feel as if someone is whacking the kite with a shovel.

It is easy to spot the full sail fliers about here, they walk about with knuckles dragging, gazing skyward in the vain hope they might just see the first signs of a nice gentle breeze.

Looking good for Saturday Daz :lol:

post-559-1244198430_thumb.jpg