Pacific Rim Kite Festival Vanier Park, Vancouver

LS Kite Stakes

Is this festival always the second weekend in June or does it move around?

It's been that weekend for a few years now, so it's unlikely to move from that any time soon.

Great time this weekend! I can remember a bunch of years ago when I had the sole rev at the party and this year? 16 person rev megafly! YAY!

My kites tend to not play very well with others yet so I'd have to remain more isolated, but if things went as planned it would still be fun to be there.

Bart

Don't worry Bart ;) We'll train your kites at Swift Current to make sure that they perform without any problem with other revs :devil:

Cheers and looking forward to see you in this weekend!!!!

Mario

Don't worry Bart ;) We'll train your kites at Swift Current to make sure that they perform without any problem with other revs :devil:

Cheers and looking forward to see you in this weekend!!!!

Mario

Like really bad kids they will probably behave just fine for someone else. Once you're gone though....

If you guys aren't totally worn out by the end of it all Sunday I think we have most of the evening free for more of it. The festival is over, the music festival is over and there is only a short pizza party for the fliers after that. Seems to me anything later is total free time.

I also have Monday if anyone is staying longer for private lessons ... just sayin'.... :-)

Bart

You will be flying with others by the time the weekend is over Bart. Terry and the gang are a great bunch of people and will be more than happy to spend time with anyone during the festival helping them out with the finer points of piloting these unruly kites. From everything that you have posted, you are more than ready to go for a mega fly! The only thing I have not seen in your posts is if you can "turn under". That is when you are flying from the left or right across the wind window, can you turn down instead of up to fly the other direction and not fall out of the sky. This is important to be able to do while following other fliers during the megafly. Don't worry about the winds, it only takes a little bit of air movement, 2mph is all, and Island Quad will be flying.......any more than that and it becomes icing on the cake.

It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling that you guys think I can put my kites up in a group and not take them all down in 5 seconds. I, on the other hand, don't feel quite that brave and am more than happy to avoid that kind of mess. At least with any kind of crowd around.

I've never mentioned "under turns" this is true. I actually call them "outside turns", but either way I do them all the time. Probably something I was doing for quite a while and just didn't think anything of it as I worked on the harder stuff.

Island quad will be fine with 2 mph, I would be grounded. I hope it is a nice wind both days for a change.

Bart

On spec I booked vacation time for this festival next year. Still a number of things that would have to fall in place between then and now, however the main restraint is taken care of.

Bart

Edited by bartman

Did anyone get photos of the grid body work, like the actual pilots spread out on the ground?

We did a sweet grid for our first time, 16 pilots, 4x4, 4 rows and 4 columns... So awesome. :)

I hope that someone has images!

On Blackheath they did 4 columns in 3, 4, 4, 3 which worked very effectively.

Felix

We did threads, concentric balls, four balls of 4, bursts, benefits, kisses, switch place (groups of 4 and 8) and radars to finish...

Anyone remember other moves we might have done in the 4x4 grid?

Went really well, made me happy for our first west coast application of this format. :)

We did threads, concentric balls, four balls of 4, bursts, benefits, kisses, switch place (groups of 4 and 8) and radars to finish...

Went really well, made me happy for our first west coast application of this format. :)

Sounds great. Vanier Park is a fantastic site. I walked across the bridge some years ago (2001 I think) but did not have the kites with me!

Thinking of 'on the ground' positioning how about trying to 'walk around the world' with concentric balls in opposite directions! <grins>

Felix

Great festival at Vanier this weekend for sure. I was reminded of this annual event a few weeks ago by Diane who I met while flying my very neglected and now more than a decade old North Shore Extreme sport kite. My interest was piqued due in large part to Diane's great enthusiasm and warm welcome at Garry Point. So I showed up on Saturday at Vanier with my 3 year old pal in tow (yes she is my youngest friend and a lot of the time tends to be loads more fun that a lot of my adult buddies). We had a blast at the festival.

The sight of so many Rev's blew me away (pun intended). Back in my day, when Ray first taught me to fly the dual line kites, it was rare to see even one Rev on the field. This weekend the sight of 16 of these snappy kites flying together at one time left a big impression on me.

I went home and researched the Rev's. So much Rev action happening all over the world! Excellent! I wanted to be part of it. I wanted to some day be out there flying with the gang, my own Rev up there with the rest of the Rev crowd.

Life is short. I hopped to it and ordered a B-Night Rev cause I liked its lack-of-black colour scheme and the B-series cause I thought it would be most suitable, down the road, to fly with others.

As soon as the new Rev arrives I shall be down at Vanier learning to fly it. You'll recognize me, crashing and learning. Feel free to come by with some tips and advice for this 'returning to the fold' flyer.

As soon as the new Rev arrives I shall be down at Vanier learning to fly it. You'll recognize me, crashing and learning. Feel free to come by with some tips and advice for this 'returning to the fold' flyer.

I said to someone this weekend, it was only a few years ago really when I had the sole rev doing demos at that fest and this year? 16 in a mega fly. Thats some progress eh?

I'm often down at Vanier, my preferred home field, during the week so don't hesitate to bug me for some tips. :-)

This sounds like Your butt should have been in the WOOD to Help us Cappy??? :angry: