first flight attemp blues

kimbo

Question

Well I recieved my B series, watching the DVD many times before heading out for a try.

First thing I noticed in the vid was that the kite was left flat on the ground with lead edge to the handles. I set up tailing edge to handles so I could launch it lead up.

Not hardly any wind did not seem like a problem but I could not get the kite to go up, just end over end. Several tries and some tangled lines I decided to try again later.

A bit frustrating as I expected. May need to seek out a local club to meet up for some one on one.

Stay tuned

9 answers to this question

It sounds to me like there was not enough wind, you say “the kite was left flat on the ground with tailing edge to the handles” if there had been enough wind it would have got under the trailing edge and you would have been chasing your kite across the field. My advice would be to wait until you have a bit more wind and do it like it says on the DVD. Though I should point out there is a small “continuity error” on the B series DVD that could be a bit misleading to a total newbie.

First the setup procedure is demonstrated, and the kite is setup leading edge down, this is now the generally preferred way of doing it amongst experienced Rev flyers. Then, when the launch is demonstrated, the kite has mysteriously flipped and is now l/e up. It is possible to launch a Rev from either position (l/e up of l/e down) but an l/e down launch does require a little more experience. I would recommend setting up as in John’s demonstration then when you go to the handles and pick them up, you will notice that one pair of lines is crossing over the other the other. You should be able to flip the kite into an l/e up position by flicking your wrist to produce as short sharp tug on the break line of your upper hand. It takes a little practice but you should be okay. If not, put you handles over your ground stake and stand your kite up, “l/e up” but you will need to keep the top lines taught and leave a little slack in the break lines, so that the kite is leaning back a little, this will stop the kite from self launching. Then return to the handles and launch as per John’s demonstration on the DVD.

Good Luck, have fun and welcome to the Darkside. :big_starwars:

don't feel bad... I'm on day 4 of my revolution adventure...

day 1 couldn't even launch

day 2 got it in the air and started to enjoy getting the feel for it

day 3 started to learn basic tricks

day 4 it went ok... then it started raining on me

would like to find a club as well in Warner Robins, Ga.... no one here seems to know what the kite is... so now I'm doomed to surf youtube and learn by myself...

I have the 1.5 B series...

Get help!

Get in touch with someone who flys Revs. Get them to show you the ins and outs of set up, take down, and get some "ground school" from from a Rev flier. The DVDs are good, but nothing like "hands on".

No kidding, the time you save will be your own. It will save you hours of frustration. Those hours can be better spent flying your kite after a good learning experience.

Trust me, I went through this. It was several years ago, but I do remember the frustration very well.

Well I recieved my B series, watching the DVD many times before heading out for a try.

First thing I noticed in the vid was that the kite was left flat on the ground with lead edge to the handles. I set up tailing edge to handles so I could launch it lead up.

Not hardly any wind did not seem like a problem but I could not get the kite to go up, just end over end. Several tries and some tangled lines I decided to try again later.

A bit frustrating as I expected. May need to seek out a local club to meet up for some one on one.

Stay tuned

DON'T GIVE UP!

Took me three days to just keep it up in the blue! Thought it was the BIGGEST waste of my money ever! That was last July... Now I have nine! ..and yes (finally) I can keep it up... with a smile on my face!

Be patient... All of a sudden everything will click and then the DARK SIDE OBSESSION will hit... more kites, more kite! Must have more kites!

PS The video was NO HELP for me at all! (Sorry Rev!)

Have fun! Keep us updated!

When you crash you crash your hands are probably spread wide apart over your head.

When I teach someone new I am tempted to tie their hands together.

Set the kite in middle of window. Keep your palms touching and rotate your wrists back and maybe pull towards your chest. Don't even bother is there is little or no wind. Now if your lines are the same length your kite will go straight up. Go high in the window and rotate your wrists forward until it stops. Then make some very small wrist movements until you understand what is happening. Very small. If you crash remember the REV crash absorber bungees that take most of the shock. Get high so you a lot to work with. Wrists only.

If when you take off you rotate over to the left then compensate a little with left wrist rotated back. To right the right wrist.

Good luck. Like Jynx said it comes to you all of a sudden and the fun begins. It took me 4 sessions before I could keep it up. I was self taught so it can be done with some work.

This video probably wont make you feel a whole lot better, the six stone stick of dynamite had no more than 10 minutes on Rev types before this attempt with Robs standard Rev1 vent at Rougham, a decent breeze too.

Basic instructions, here are the handles there's the sky...

His Dad put the vid up.

Get help!

Get in touch with someone who flys Revs. Get them to show you the ins and outs of set up, take down, and get some "ground school" from from a Rev flier. The DVDs are good, but nothing like "hands on".

No kidding, the time you save will be your own. It will save you hours of frustration. Those hours can be better spent flying your kite after a good learning experience.

Trust me, I went through this. It was several years ago, but I do remember the frustration very well.

Found a local "rev'er" and we got together and got some line problems I was having explained. Had a line longer than the rest for starters.

Hope to get a lot more flying instructions when the storms stop and wind is right for learning.

Kimbo

Glad you got hooked up with someone. It will be time well spent.

And...........you just may have found someone to fly with when you get going.

Found out that the lineset that came with the kite has uneven length lines. So now I don't feel so dumb.

Had a few hours of instuction and not I can fly some. Lots more practice to do and when I get this line length issue resolved I'll make faster progress.