REV shots with famous landmark backgrounds!

quadkit

• 2 months later...

Visited the Four Corners late in the afternoon and played around for awhile. Tried to do a tip stand on the very point where Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado meet, but the wind turbulence, dogs, other visitors, lack of skill, etc. all contributed to a missed opportunity. Still, it was neat to fly in four states at the same time ... those REV II's are fast!!!!

post-2169-129013853355_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeepster

• 2 months later...

Friday, January 28... Syn's Birthday.

We decide, because there is no call for bad weather, to head up to Denali.

Denali is what people here in Alaska call Mount McKinley. ("Denali" is an Athabaskan word meaning "The Big One" ... LOL) Mount McKinley is the tallest mountain (20,300 feet) in North America.

We decide that we want to post here, so we head up to get shots of our new Bazzer Eyes. No wind, and it was a lot of work, but here it is:

You can see the peak of Denali directly behind the kite.

gallery_3216_414_73970.jpg

--TaK

Friday, January 28... Syn's Birthday.

We decide, because there is no call for bad weather, to head up to Denali.

Denali is what people here in Alaska call Mount McKinley. ("Denali" is an Athabaskan word meaning "The Big One" ... LOL) Mount McKinley is the tallest mountain (20,300 feet) in North America.

We decide that we want to post here, so we head up to get shots of our new Bazzer Eyes. No wind, and it was a lot of work, but here it is:

You can see the peak of Denali directly behind the kite.

gallery_3216_414_73970.jpg

--TaK

TaK even I got some peace from that photo, wow buddy very,very, nice..... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

TaK even I got some peace from that photo, wow buddy very,very, nice..... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

Give Syn the credit. I was gunna throw up the video of her showing me the easiest way to get over an obstacle on cross country skis, but it woulda been off topic.

In April, we will have the chance to fly a Rev at the summit. (Does anyone know what the highest point a Rev has been flown is?) Now we just have to decide which Rev we want to trash, because the wind up there often reaches 100mph, but there are places that are somewhat sheltered that I am pretty sure my old 1.5 vented can deal with. I've flown it in 50mph before without killing it. The idea is to just get it in the air and get a photo. What happens to it after that is irrelevant...lol

I have to either brush up on my climbing skills (I did a lot of climbing when I was younger) or teach JC to fly a rev. Either way it'll be interesting. (I'm going for the former because that's my goal before I die...lol)

--TaK

Edited by SynTaks

Yep, that's the problem with getting REV kites in landmark shots. Have to get there while during daylight hours, no heavy rain, some wind (neither excessively low nor high), minimum of tourists, no dogs, enough space to launch, etc. At first glance it seems like a piece of cake, but then reality takes over.

Your shot was great. Can't wait for the next one!!

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Jeepster

Yep, that's the problem with getting REV kites in landmark shots. Have to get there while during daylight hours, no heavy rain, some wind (neither excessively low nor high), minimum of tourists, no dogs, enough space to launch, etc. At first glance it seems like a piece of cake, but then reality takes over.

Your shot was great. Can't wait for the next one!!

Cheers,

Tom

The problem with Denali is, you gotta climb a 20k foot mountain first...lol The average climber takes about 4-5 days for the full climb up and down in mid-Summer. It will take me, because of my disability, a couple days longer. Maybe longer because we're doing this in Mid-Spring. There is only one way up that time of year due to breakup (That's what we call Spring up here) and the restrictions due to avalanche issues. Calling the weather in Alaska 5-7 days in advance is impossible. (They don't do "long range forecasts" up here.

The issue I will have is that, if I actually DO this, I will probably cause quite a bit of damage just DOING it. Making it back down isn't an issue, because JC will probably have to sled me down from the summit to 15k feet. After that, I shouldn't have a problem because it's mostly slope from there on the North face.

That's why I was wondering if anyone knew the highest point a Rev has flown. The whole point is to break a record. If I'm not gunna do that, I probably won't chance the trip myself. JC is pretty savvy. He is also my doctor, so I know I'm in good hands if anything happens to me. If anything happens to HIM, he's screwed...lol At this point, it's a 3-man climb, but that might change in the next month. I doubt I can get all the way up, so I'm hoping that I can find that the highest point flown is 15,200 feet or less, because then I can just get to the camp there and still play.

--TaK

The problem with Denali is, you gotta climb a 20k foot mountain first...lol The average climber takes about 4-5 days for the full climb up and down in mid-Summer. It will take me, because of my disability, a couple days longer. Maybe longer because we're doing this in Mid-Spring. There is only one way up that time of year due to breakup (That's what we call Spring up here) and the restrictions due to avalanche issues. Calling the weather in Alaska 5-7 days in advance is impossible. (They don't do "long range forecasts" up here.

The issue I will have is that, if I actually DO this, I will probably cause quite a bit of damage just DOING it. Making it back down isn't an issue, because JC will probably have to sled me down from the summit to 15k feet. After that, I shouldn't have a problem because it's mostly slope from there on the North face.

That's why I was wondering if anyone knew the highest point a Rev has flown. The whole point is to break a record. If I'm not gunna do that, I probably won't chance the trip myself. JC is pretty savvy. He is also my doctor, so I know I'm in good hands if anything happens to me. If anything happens to HIM, he's screwed...lol At this point, it's a 3-man climb, but that might change in the next month. I doubt I can get all the way up, so I'm hoping that I can find that the highest point flown is 15,200 feet or less, because then I can just get to the camp there and still play.

--TaK

awesome plan. Keep us all posted on the progress