Which rods to use for teaching a 9 yo?

itv

Question

Need an advise here.

My son had asked me to teach him fly the rev. Since now I have a JB in the quiver, thinking of giving him a go on the trusted 1.5 that I have earlier. So which rod setup would be best (in view of potentialy fatal crash - to the rods)? We fly normally in wind around 4-5 mph (ish with gust probably to 8-10mph). I have a full set of SUL frame, 2 set of UL frame and a race rod set (No SLE rods).

Edited by itv

19 answers to this question

Probably the best reason to have a set of SLE rods that i can think of.Good job i had some when i learnt the rev.Would have cost a fortune on a less robust frame.Hamfisted springs to mind.

I would go with the stiffest rods you have to start and cherry pick the moves you teach .That fit conditions best.I would also spend time on explaining the setup well.So many things to remember at the start.A good setup can get overlooked in the rush for the sky

A word of warning though.Becarefull.If things run true to form.You could end up the pupil quite quickly...lol

Good Luck

BRIAN...

My son had asked me to teach him fly the rev.

So which rod setup would be best (in view of potentialy fatal crash - to the rods)?

Apa khabar :)

In the gentle breezes you experience, I think you'll be fine without the SLE providing you have good set up on your top and bottom leaders (more brake).

Gentle launches and reverse landings to get the feel of the controls is one way to go before just letting loose on the sky.

FYI I learnt with 3 or 4 wraps. Didn't get on with SLE at all in the beginning and our winds are stronger here in UK.

Not every crash will result in a break.

I understand your concern for the expense of the kit.

Best bit is to have fun together.

Good luck

A word of warning though.Becarefull.If things run true to form.You could end up the pupil quite quickly...lol

Yup...perhaps on the maiden flight itself...especially with my limited flying abilities.

Now...a SLE rod eh??? :confused!: .Anyone have their 'redundant' SLE (those used as a fishing rods, planting tomatoes etc) to giveaway ;) ...

Choccy...I'm fine thankyou :)

For the wind you've mentioned ("We fly normally in wind around 4-5 mph (ish with gust probably to 8-10mph"), I'd suggest 3 or 4 wrap 1/4" spars... The SLE is harder to control, all in all, and in that kind of wind, you'll be hard pressed to break 3's or 4's. ;)

Yeah, in that wind, 3-wrap, I would think. If the wind picks up and you feel like the kite is too loaded, move to 4, but really I wouldn't worry too much. These things are pretty sturdy and can handle a lot. Worry less, fly more. :)

My daughter is 5, and I can't wait to get her flying. I know it's still a bit early, but once she does, I have every intention of having her fly the same equipment and set up that I do. Well, less brake to start...seems newbies get a little confused with that...got to ease into that. ;)

My son and I have learned on the 1/4" spars without breaking any. A friend in the area has broken two SLE (one 3-wrap and one 4-wrap) leading edge rods while learning.

Either it's just bad luck on my friend's part or there is something to say for learning on 1/4" rods. Although the SLE rods are super stiff, I think that characteristic might work against them. First, flyers talk about less control with the SLE rods ... that could get you into trouble quicker. And second, that stiffness also makes them subject to breakage where the 1/4" rods might flex just enough to allow you a slightly larger margin of error ... the oak and the willow analogy.

Either way, Jeff stated it well ... Worry less, fly more.

So what if a rod is broken ... in the scheme of things, they're cheap relative to the pleasure of sharing a hobby with your son or grandson ... but, you already knew that!

Last night I had my grandson (4 and 1/2) on the handles ... he suddenly expressed an interest. He's too light with too short of an attention span, but it's a start ... even if I had to hold on to the handles and do all of the flying for him. Too bad the smaller kites are harder to fly ... maybe tails on a REV II would help slow it down and make it gentle enough for him. Anybody have any experience with doing that?

Enjoy,

Tom

Edited by Jeepster

Part of the issue with the SLEs is that they don't give or flex, at all.

Not only does this mean they don't fly as well, but they also do not flex to absorb impact... They're strong to a point , but are more prone to impact breakage on hard impact because of this.

In my experience feeling has something to do with ease of learning. Being able to feel the how the kite reacts to inputs.

Anything under 8mph I would think the 2 wrap Pro Only's would be a good teaching frame since the Race Frame has made the 2 wraps obsolite. The 3 wrap frame doesn't seem to give AS much feeling when the wind dips down under 6 mph.

Maybe I just have thick hands.

Dean

Choccy...I'm fine thankyou :)

Selamat Datang :)

@Jeepster: the tails are fun and do slow down any kite, be it dual, rev 1, 1.5 or 2.

however the dynamics of flight changes a lot with tails and I wouldn't really recommend it for someone learning.

Try it yourself (maybe on half pint) and see how you get on ;)

In my experience feeling has something to do with ease of learning. Being able to feel the how the kite reacts to inputs.

Anything under 8mph I would think the 2 wrap Pro Only's would be a good teaching frame since the Race Frame has made the 2 wraps obsolite. The 3 wrap frame doesn't seem to give AS much feeling when the wind dips down under 6 mph.

Maybe I just have thick hands.

Dean

I agree.

My 10 year old flies on whatever rods are right for the conditions and she hasn't broken anything yet. Why would you want to handicap ANYONE by making them fly with SLE rods???

We all break rods sometimes!!! Don't discriminate against kids!!!

@Jeepster: the tails are fun and do slow down any kite, be it dual, rev 1, 1.5 or 2.

however the dynamics of flight changes a lot with tails and I wouldn't really recommend it for someone learning.

Try it yourself (maybe on half pint) and see how you get on ;)

Thanks Choccy,

I'll steal the tails off my delta kites and try them sometime this coming week.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Itv,

Is that you, Takriz where I adjusted the brake line for you at 50' at Desa Park City ???

chris

yup...spot on mate. Going to the Padang Timur tomorrow? Any flying session?

Edited by itv

May comment related to windy Ainsdale beech in the uk.The SLEs wher perfect for a learner ther like me.If the winds are down to 4s and 5s.I think i could still have managed a break a rod or two though when i first started.

Ther was one old fella that used to fly with us.We nick named him Buffer.All he flew with or was allowed to use wher SLE rods.The Buffer refared to the sound he used to make driving the kite into the sand

Buff,,Buff,Buff,Buff.

He progressed to a more flexable spar after a while.

Have a goodn all

BRIAN...

Edited by big bri