Kite Lights

mrdenny

Take a look at http://www.bodylighting.com/

I just ordered some finger lights from them. as well as a couple other lights I want to try out and will post results later. I ordered a couple of the magentic blinkies to see if they will sit nicely in the lower tips where the weights an be placed on the B-series. As well as some of the Hair lites to see how they look on the lower tips as well as streamers kinda.

Problem I've had with the magnetics, they eventually go sailing off... The lights are easy to find in the dark, but the metal/magnet backing is not.

Yowtch, $3 apiece on the finger lights? Too much.

Let me know how the hair lights look!

I am not planning to actually use the magnet backing, I am hoping they may fit snuggly into the weight pocket in the B Series.

And yeah - the price i pay for the convenience of getting everything from one location without having to hunt around to much, Lazy Tax.

I'm confused, there is no "weight pocket" on the B-Series... The weights insert into the vertical spars, under the end caps.

Can you describe the pockets you mentioned above?

OH... shows how much i pay attention. I had thought the weights sat in a pocket at the tips, where the bungie cord ties in. I didnt pay a whole lot of attention to the weights when I got my B series, just set them aside. actually I was just telling Watty that I havent had a chance to look at the DvD yet either. Guess I will have to come up with another use for the magnet flashers ;)

Guess I will have to come up with another use for the magnet flashers ;)

I used those magnet ones for awhile and yes they can fall off with sudden moves and stops, what I ended up doing was using them on the leading edge I slip the magnet inside the material then you can stick the light on and drag it into position, when your done setting them up stuff some tissue paper in the ends around the rod so if the lights do fall off the magnets won't slide and fall out.

It works and the flashers do look cool, but after awhile it gets annoying hence why I'm trying something new.

Jim's lights went out via Priority Mail yesterday, I'm sure he'll post back with his thoughts. ;)

Got the lights this afternoon, these are pretty cool I like them.

So of course I had to test them out tonight they work awesome, I need to find where I can buy these in bulk as they seem to be disposable after all 3 watch batteries are probably more expensive then just buying another one.

What I did find is that they fit on the end caps perfect they are very light weight, only thing I did different was used narrow Velcro cord wraps instead of the elastic band it works out perfect and whats even nicer is after you cinch it down to the end cap you can wrap the tag end around the whole light and back to itself and it stops the slide switch from turning off in dramatic dive stops :kid_smartass:

These finger lights are really cool I'm not sure how long the battery life is I did fly them for 4 hours tonight on the SUL and they are still bright and blinking nicely. and when they do die I think I'll rip them apart after I get a few I'm going to try something with them and a aaa battery for a higher wind application.

Thanks John :sign_kitelife: these were really fun and much less hectic then the magnet versions.

LOL, I actually feel like going back out and flying again at 12:45 am lmao I'm such a kid. hmm you know what no work tomorrow I think I will :kid_devlish:

LOL, I actually feel like going back out and flying again at 12:45 am lmao I'm such a kid. hmm you know what no work tomorrow I think I will :kid_devlish:

Ah, you're starting to sound like an iQuad member... We'll be sitting around at 1 or 2 am and get a bug up our tail to go fly, pretty much no matter where we are. :)

Hahahahaha! Nice. :kid_smartass:

What kind of field are you flying in at night, what kite(s) are you flying, and what is the wind like?

The wind last night was variable 3 to 8 according to the wind meter so I used the SUL and I was out on a point at the Fort. Like 5 minutes from my house :kid_smartass:

It’s nice to see others enjoy fly at night too!!

The last time I went was extreme. There is a bar on the pier that is normally closed by the time I get there but I went flying earlier than usual that night. I had 4 finger lights on and totally got into the zone. When I stopped the whole pier broke out clapping. So funny! I hadn’t notice that it was still open so, what a surprise. One lady came down to ask the normal questions {is it hard, where did you get it,, bla bla bla…}and told me the band was a bit miffed because everyone was paying attention to the kite and not them

Night flying offers:

1. The wind is normally much steadier.

2. The temperature is always cooler.

3. No sunglasses, sunscreen, or hats ever required.

4. Tons of room to fly.

5. No parking problems.

6. Did I mention a steady wind?

Bring a white light to help seeing the lines to set up. I found the blue finger lights mask the colors of the sleeves. The only thing I don’t like is I seem to have more of a problem with depth perception.

Someone will have to come up with a good name for us night flyers.

Someone will have to come up with a good name for us night flyers.

Vamfliers :kid_devlish: aka nocturnal knuckleheads

I think Bazzer should paint us up some UV sensitive designs on all white sails so we can set up UV spotlights on a small generator and watch them GLOW.

OK I need a nap this lack of sleep has totally gotten to me :kid_frustrated:

Lesser madmen have turned out to become some of the biggest Genius's in recorded history, unfortunately we don't fall into that category :kid_brooding:

Oh, I dunno about THAT Jim - you people who can make Revs do what they're supposed to do are geniuses (genii?) in MY book. :kid_content:

ok so I just got in my lights I ordered and thought I would take the Rev for a spin.

I highly recommend putting your finger lights on Velcro, as someone else mentioned. The rings they come with are ok, but not great. I lost 2 lights somewhere in the night. I pointed the lights outward, which lit up the ground nicely, but i think it would have been nice to have lights pointing at the kite as well.

I am working on putting velcro on all the lights I got and I hope to get some video once I do.

Another recommendation, dont night fly with less than 4 hours flight time and in 22 mph winds with gusts of 27+, boy was it fun though. With continuous winds like this I may just buy some of the keychain mag lights and attach those.

ok so I just got in my lights I ordered and thought I would take the Rev for a spin.

I highly recommend putting your finger lights on Velcro, as someone else mentioned. The rings they come with are ok, but not great. I lost 2 lights somewhere in the night. I pointed the lights outward, which lit up the ground nicely, but i think it would have been nice to have lights pointing at the kite as well.

I am working on putting velcro on all the lights I got and I hope to get some video once I do.

Another recommendation, dont night fly with less than 4 hours flight time and in 22 mph winds with gusts of 27+, boy was it fun though. With continuous winds like this I may just buy some of the keychain mag lights and attach those.

You know I was looking at those micro Mag Lights thinking hmmm those would be great for high wind nights :kid_devlish: unfortunately they don't flash and come in colors, I'd still like to see the ones someone got from Walgreen's that are different than the finger lights.

HI Everyone, I have been trying to get the finger lights but can't find them anywhere. Please fill me in as to where I can get them. I'm out in San Francisco. THanks

Jason

I just scored a batch at walmart. They were by the checkout. It is iffy I check all the time and they are not always there. I just googled them and it came back with a ton of places and at better prices too.

I am looking at a more robust set of lights, not as heavy as a mini mag light, but more expensive then the cheap finger lights (which i busted 2 of the other night). And my hopes are that the purple will have enough of a UV effect to make the white center of the kite really stand out.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/phmiiimimaco.html

I will be removing the key rings, and glueing velcro straps to the light to easily attach to the spars, that or maybe try to jsut tape them on with black duct tape so they dont slide up and down the spars.