Kite Lights

mrdenny

These Kite Lights look great in the ads. I can imagine how a Rev in a fast spin or shooting across the sky screaming to a stop might look. Has anyone tried these things? The 1.5 sure seems to have the power to handle it. The ad I am looking at says

• 360º visibility for miles
  • Weigh only 2 1/2 oz. with batteries
  • Uses common "AA" batteries
  • Installs in minutes

Sounds like several others have done it and it works well. I was hoping someone would do a picture, thanks. I like the looks of yours. The one I was looking at was at http://www.cuttingedgekites.com/u-lites.htm

The lite looks the britest of all the others which was a plus. The cost vs. a lite stick is a con.

I think I will run down to Wallie world and get some lite sticks to see if I like flying at night then if It turns out like I think, do the ultra lites later.

Thanks for all the help :D

Denny

Antman,

I was thinking of just getting one set and putting them on the bottom spars and see how much light that puts out. Could be enough. If it looks like more would be better,,, get another set. Heck it's only money. ( cool avatar )

I found some very small and lightweight LED lights that use 1 small watch battery. They are about 2" long with a lense and about 3/4" in diameter.

It's actually a tiny little book light with clamp. The clamp can just be removed, reducing the weight even more. These can be attached with rubber bands. I haven't tried them yet, but will soon when the weather improves.

I will keep you updated with pics.

I found some very small and lightweight LED lights that use 1 small watch battery. They are about 2" long with a lense and about 3/4" in diameter.

It's actually a tiny little book light with clamp. The clamp can just be removed, reducing the weight even more. These can be attached with rubber bands. I haven't tried them yet, but will soon when the weather improves.

I will keep you updated with pics.

I look forward to seeing it.

White would be the best reflective color and any light color. Dark colors absorb a lot of light and not as effective.

The white is also UV sensative, so using mini blacklights are also a possibilty.

Lights don't always have to be attached to the kite itself either. If they are light enough, they could also be attached to the bridle.

I'm going to be doing a lot of experimenting with lights this summer.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife wants me to get lights for my kite so I can do some night flying at the beach. I see I can I get the finger lights that John talks about at the Wally World, is there a brand name of the slider lights that Walgreens has?

I don't want to discourage her from asking me to fly my kite...

-Alden

no brand name. Just go to the automotive isle and look at the flash lights and laser lights. they are diamond kite shaped. Come in 4 colors and are bright!! i got some craftsman ones that have dual LED with switches. They are hardcore and were a stocking stuffer this past Christmas!