MasterPiece or B Series... ouch!!!

crunchie

Question

I'm up for a rev this year and I'm really stuck between two tough choices... I like flying and I like looking at my kite ;)

I find the B series the best value for the buck

Pros :

* They come with many extras.

* Fly in low of mid wind perfectly.

Cons:

* I dont really like the art work on it, the B pro's artwork is better since you can custom it...

On the other hand, the masterpiece series are SOOOOO nice to look at that if I could make it fly somewhat like a B series I'd rather choose that instead. I'm a little biased against the SLE spar but its possible to change the spars when you order so I could order it with race rods instead.

So the question is, if I purchased a masterpiece edition with a race rod set, do you guys think it will fly just as good as a B series (I assume at least the fabric is different than the B series)?

Crunchie

both the b and the b pro are great kites.. the b series is a buget friendly kite designed by the master john baressi. the b pro is more costly but it is like a b series that has be rehauled by a master kite mechanic bazzer poulter .. to decide what you want will determine on what you want to fly and how your gonna fly it .. either way both kites are great and youll love them like i do.. a masterpiece is always great to own to but that is mor of a (looks) kite then a peformer

Is this your first Rev crunchie?

i.e. are you liable to still be crashing, or are pretty comfortable on one already?

Reason I ask, a flier's first Rev generally takes a fair amount of abuse during the learning curve...

Something to consider when looking at a $500-$800 kite versus a $300 kite. ;)

Yup, this will be my first rev. I was hoping I could learn gradually and not crash it too much, but you are probably right. I should maybe go the the cheaper side, learn a bit, and then get myself a masterpiece afterwards.

I was hoping to get the best of both worlds and I'd be pretty mad if a nice masterpiece kite got damaged.

I think its going to be too expensive for me to get both in one shot(!).

Crunchie

Yup, this will be my first rev. I was hoping I could learn gradually and not crash it too much, but you are probably right. I should maybe go the the cheaper side, learn a bit, and then get myself a masterpiece afterwards.

I was hoping to get the best of both worlds and I'd be pretty mad if a nice masterpiece kite got damaged.

I think its going to be too expensive for me to get both in one shot(!).

Crunchie

Crunchie ...

Welcome...

I learnt not to crash (as often) on a standard B and then 6 months in I bought myself one of Bazzer's vented eyes with race rods which I treat as a 'special' occasion kite ..... my vote ... start with a B

Bazzer's Eyes fly better than the "B" series.

hi, are you referring to the standard or vented eyes ?

oh welcome crunchie,

You could always contact rev and get your own custom B I suppose but that'll come at a price.

Thank Crunchie it's nearly Friday :kid_content:

Hi Crunchie,

Welcome to the world of Revolution, if you have not get one which probably you will soon, a slight bit of warning, it is very addictive, worst than playing video games, once you are hooked to flying Revs, you eat, work, sleep thinking of when will be my next flying day. I had my days when I started.

Anyway, welcome to Rev flying. You will love it.

cheers

chris

Welcome to the forum, Crunchie. There are lots of great folk here, you're gonna be glad you joined! :)

Your first Rev should be one that you can use and abuse. Then you can move up to a sweeter model or masterpiece. Unless you're a natural phenom like John Barresi or Watty...

I am setting myself up as a Flame Thrower target, but I know at least one person that agrees with me;

Bazzer's Eyes fly better than the "B" series.

Rx

Well, if nothing else regarding the Bazzer Eyes........

Of all my kites, my vented eyes always elicits the most comments form onlookers.

Crunchie,

The sail material and your most frequently used locations should be considered,

as well as the skills of the pilot.

In low wind areas(or wet conditions) the polyester kites will work better (B-Series and the B-Pro).

All the masterpiece kites to date have been created out of nylon. A vented masterpiece model is highly unusual as well.

Nylon wears out quicker, gains water weight & the color fades in UV light, . . . but it is Cheaper to buy the fabric!

In our local club we advise folks to not buy a kite for the first year!!! Instead come fly ours whenever we're around. After some experience you'll know what kite types interest you, what designers rock your world and will be more comfortable shelling out the necessary dough to get exactly what your little heart desires.

Wow! I never expected this amount of advise. You all convinced me to get a B as first starter. I'd sure like to pilot the kites of my local kite sellers, but most of the time I just want to practice in my local parc and just the thought of maybe damaging someone else's kite makes me shiver.

Now I'll go and make my order :)

Crunchie

honestly?,

The Rev products are remarkably durable when we first learn how to fly them. Oh the beatings they will endure until your brain just takes over automatically when the handles slip into your grip. Every single one of us went thru the same thing you're facing! You might break a tube, . . . but I doubt you can punch a hole thru the sail without sticking it into a barrier, fence or something equally distructive.

I'm getting off topic... but... is sand a problem when crashing? I mean, its pretty abrasive. Does anyone have any experience with crashing rev's in the sand? Does it considerable increase the risk of a tear along the crash surface?

Crunchie,

The sail material and your most frequently used locations should be considered,

as well as the skills of the pilot.

All the masterpiece kites to date have been created out of nylon. A vented masterpiece model is highly unusual as well.

Actually, not all of the Masterpiece kites were made out of nylon, there were a couple that were made out of Poly and even Icarex. The Martin Lester is one of those that is made out Icarex. There were a couple others but I will have to look to see which ones. I believe the Elliot Shook revs are poly. the 20th Anniversary Rev Masterpieces are a mix of Poly and Icarex.

Most masterpiece are nylon and only a few of those were available as vented.

Well, if nothing else regarding the Bazzer Eyes........

Of all my kites, my vented eyes always elicits the most comments form onlookers.

That kite is a freak of nature, I'm thinking it's a 1 of a kind but i'll find out the day I get one ;)

I'm getting off topic... but... is sand a problem when crashing? I mean, its pretty abrasive. Does anyone have any experience with crashing rev's in the sand? Does it considerable increase the risk of a tear along the crash surface?

Hi Crunchie-

Welcome to the family.

I fly probably 75% of the time at the beach. Honestly, I haven't found the sand to be an issue regarding damage to the sail. I do have problems (with one kite, mostly) of sand getting in the endcaps and then having a difficult time removing it at the end of the day. Flying on pavement, concrete or rocky areas would probably cause the most problems, especially for a new pilot. If you can start out in the sand or grass, you will limit the "injury" to your sail, until you gain the control and then this won't be an issue.

Good luck and have fun.