Cheap Spars When you break yours

chrsfincher

Ok i dont know if anyone has done this before or if the kite is even rated to do it, but i flew my rev 1.5 like the original one, in 45 gusting to 60 mph winds yesterday. The spars that i use r from a gocart flag like the kind you buy at wal-mart. if you take the metal part off the bottom and cut just below the flag, you can cut the bar directly in half and use the two halfs as the downrods. they have plenty of flex so you dont have to worry so much about them snapping. i have had them pop out a couple times but i just went and found them and put them back in and was back in the air. i cant find a link for them but walmart has them they r only 5 dollars so its way cheaper than buying new spars but be warned you lose performance for being able to fly in such high winds. and i have broken lines before. so be carefull. and dont hurt yourself

Ok i dont know if anyone has done this before or if the kite is even rated to do it, but i flew my rev 1.5 like the original one, in 45 gusting to 60 mph winds yesterday. The spars that i use r from a gocart flag like the kind you buy at wal-mart. if you take the metal part off the bottom and cut just below the flag, you can cut the bar directly in half and use the two halfs as the downrods. they have plenty of flex so you dont have to worry so much about them snapping. i have had them pop out a couple times but i just went and found them and put them back in and was back in the air. i cant find a link for them but walmart has them they r only 5 dollars so its way cheaper than buying new spars but be warned you lose performance for being able to fly in such high winds. and i have broken lines before. so be carefull. and dont hurt yourself

I paid good money for my REV thus I expect a good flying kite. I personally prefer the stiffer original rods that give me decent and precise control.

I personally would not degrade it's performance by using cheap flexible rods, probably made of fiberglass, just to save a little money which in the long run will turn out to be thrown out money as you will most likely revert back to the original rods later.

If you want to flying in gusty and strong winds, you should use a vented REV not a standard REV. Not only would you break rods on the standard REV, you would stretch the sail too much thus damaging the REV. As to how you broke you lines, that would not "normally" happen with quality lines such as Shanti and Laser Pro.

If you bought cheap lines, it is understandable.

On a more tangible note... No full sail Rev 1.5 is rated for 45-60 mph.

It might survive (if you don't crash), but the sail can receive irrevocable damage through stretching or compromised seams.

They never come back 100% from something like that.

I'd strongly urge you to look into a vented model, anything that's rated for those conditions. ;)

No question buy a second hand vented or teabag an old EXP but in addition you should see if you can purchase some second hand SLE rods .... I think I might know a few people who could be persuaded to part with theirs for a very reasonable price ;)

Have to agree with all above.I think your in a learning curve.Weve all,been ther,done that,and learnt with some help and guidence from the guys above.

Only ends up costing both more Money in the end and Dilutes the Quality of the flying experiance.Buy the best ya can.

Would fly on on parcel string either as a replacement for lines,

Wouldnt fly with chair leg handles

Original kit works best

BRIAN...

Best rig I've ever flown in big winds such as being discussed above is Elliott Shook's mesh Revs.

If you haven't tried it, you are missing the smoothest kite that's ever had the factory's name on it. With a Race frame I can fly it 6 or so, but it can also take a 30 miles per hour gust. (bigger winds just mean going to a heavier frame)

It's not as fast as the two vent wing we all know and love, but man does it even-out bumpy gusting air.

If you're really trying to save money, . . . For less than five bucks each you could buy Skyshark (blemished) tubes.

Why compromise with lesser quality than a wrapped carbon-graphite tube?!?

When one is living with a budget one has to cut one's cloth accordingly; and that may mean walmart frames are the only alternative if you are to keep flying. But 5 bucks for a tube that is really up there in quality (REVflyer suggestion) is a pretty good deal it has to be said. As people (and the OP to be fair) have said the cheaper option may lead to performance reduction. However I would be more concerned about the potential for damage. A shattering rod can punch right through a leading edge or sail - even if the sail is an EXP the investment you have made in it is considerable. Personally I would rather find the money to invest in a 'safe' frame than take unquantified and potentially catastrophic risk with an 'unknown' frame.

Well chrsfincher,

It's pretty impressive that you were able to fly at all in those near hurricane winds.

I guess most folks disagree with your idea though :lol: .

Since this is a Rev forum, we're mostly die-hard, brand loyal, fliers. We love the Rev.

I hope that doesn't keep you from posting again. It's always good to throw new ideas out there, and it sounds like you had fun--and that's what's important. It's just kites.

Your post doesn't say where you live, but if you're ever in an area where any of us are flying, we would be happy to give you a go on one of our vented kites. Just walk up and say "hi"

Well chrsfincher,

It's pretty impressive that you were able to fly at all in those near hurricane winds.

I guess most folks disagree with your idea though :lol: .

Since this is a Rev forum, we're mostly die-hard, brand loyal, fliers. We love the Rev.

I hope that doesn't keep you from posting again. It's always good to throw new ideas out there, and it sounds like you had fun--and that's what's important. It's just kites.

Your post doesn't say where you live, but if you're ever in an area where any of us are flying, we would be happy to give you a go on one of our vented kites. Just walk up and say "hi"

Just had a READ/ review of the thread Mike.I agree,we have Boxed his ears a bit.Im sure JB would have been in amungst us with an SLE rod if we had been OTT though.Hes a fair Policeman.Hope we havent freightened the fella off .

Paul[Revflyer] mentions BLEMS.Ive used those in the past.The Blems are nice enough.Wouldnt do the Arrow shafts again though i used once.The kite kept aiming for Animals and other targets...lol

All a learning curve and i think one ya sorta have to go through sometimes.

BRIAN... You can lead a horse to water,but a Pencil must be Lead

Ok i was just puttin this out there cause its how i fixed mine. in lighter winds it flys just fine. i dont have alot of money right now and this was a cheap and easy way for me to be able to get back out there and fly. i live in oklahoma and there r NO kite shops around here or i would gladly go get some new original spars. i got my kite when i was about 13 im 21 now so its been around. and with the "cheap" spars i can fly in high enough winds that it becomes a traction kite. i actually built a small buggy and ride around in our field on windy days. i never thought the rev would have the pull to do that but it does. and i dont know ANYONE around here that flys i turn alot of head when i go fly by the highway. might have actually cause a couple fender benders lol. and i would gladly come fly with any of you. my dad and i fly together he has just a 2 line alpha i think not sure. we r startin to get brave enough to fly standing next to each other and doing the twists and stuff where we have to unwrap our lines its fun but man its hard.

You might want to look at the American Kite Association web page for a listing of festivals and clubs near you.

There's this festival in Tulsa coming up:

http://aka.kite.org/cal_dtl.php?event_no=4481

There isn't anyone who flies in my town either, so I started my own club! You're welcome to join. There's no dues and you don't have to live in Illinois. Just click on the link in my signature, register on the forum page, and you're a member!

• 2 months later...

i know they r cheap but i have never had any problems with them. i have been reading some of the post and it sounds like they might be a good idea for beginners since they will just bend and not snap. i have been teaching one of my friends how to fly and he was amazed at how durable it is. they are also a quick fix should you break yours and you dont have backups or cant afford to order new ones