REV II(2) Rainbow colors - 1991 to 1996

johnnmitchell

That must have been a one time thing until lately, for years I was trying to get a vented RevII for those 30+ days and for awhile there getting a Rev II in itself was difficult because they only made them at the end of a run.

I'm happy at the fact that the II is now a reg part of the lineup as well as the vented, The Vented with race frame is a sweet little animal much more precise although learning to keep a II in control in high wind was a major help in honing my skills early on.

• 3 weeks later...

Aloha

Just picked this used Rev II up the other day.

I really like the color combo

I included picts of the corner, upper line bridle loop and one of the rods.

All the rod end looks like it has a piece of tape or some sort of clear wrap on it.

The other end of the rod has a crack in it.

The bridle looks like it was possibly set up to be used with clips or?

Since I have not seen or used clips, I really don't know

It is knotted differently than the bridle on my other rev. kite.

It doesn't have a knot to connect the top lines to the kite, just a loop.

Any idea of year, rod end treatment, bridle etc?

Thanks

Steve

post-2300-1241195275_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1241195286_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1241195303_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1241196570_thumb.jpg

Aloha

Just picked this used Rev II up the other day.

I really like the color combo

I included picts of the corner, upper line bridle loop and one of the rods.

All the rod end looks like it has a piece of tape or some sort of clear wrap on it.

The other end of the rod has a crack in it.

The bridle looks like it was possibly set up to be used with clips or?

Since I have not seen or used clips, I really don't know

It is knotted differently than the bridle on my other rev. kite.

It doesn't have a knot to connect the top lines to the kite, just a loop.

Any idea of year, rod end treatment, bridle etc?

Thanks

Steve

That is a real beauty! It is the first REV II rainbow I ever saw with a white center.

Most everything was leading me to believe it must have been made in 1991 however the rods have inner ferrules which tell me it must have been in 1992 or the following year. I'll place bets on 1992, because of the bridle.

When the rods are made, a cellophane wrap is placed around the graphite wraps to hold the graphite wraps in place for the baking process. After the baking process the cellophane is usually removed thus leaving an imprint on the rod that looks like a thread was wrapped around the rod. What you are probably seeing is some cellophane that was not fully removed. It is nothing really to worry about.

For the bridle, I would suggest adding pigtails to each of the four bridle points.

Aloha John

Thanks for all the information.

I really appreciate it.

I too think this is a beauty.

Maybe Rev should re-issue these colors.

Thank you

Steve

That is a real beauty! It is the first REV II rainbow I ever saw with a white center.

Most everything was leading me to believe it must have been made in 1991 however the rods have inner ferrules which tell me it must have been in 1992 or the following year. I'll place bets on 1992, because of the bridle.

When the rods are made, a cellophane wrap is placed around the graphite wraps to hold the graphite wraps in place for the baking process. After the baking process the cellophane is usually removed thus leaving an imprint on the rod that looks like a thread was wrapped around the rod. What you are probably seeing is some cellophane that was not fully removed. It is nothing really to worry about.

For the bridle, I would suggest adding pigtails to each of the four bridle points.

• 2 weeks later...
white - black - aqua - blue <--- Steve808 (might be the same colors as below)

white - black - aqua - purple <---Stone in Shoe Bob (might be the same colors as above)

I don't think so my purple panels are defiantly purple there is no way anyone could mistake them for blue. I also have a cool Sedgwick with an aqua centre panel and blue and purple panels side by side. The aqua and purple panels are the same colours as are in my Rev II.

686545669_0fdc78296d_m.jpg

Here’s mine, white centre panel then black, aqua and purple, looks blue in this photo I think it may be the evening light.

Bob, you've got a stunning collection including this rev II,

mainly as you've kept to the same colours throughout,

bravo :D

I don't think so my purple panels are defiantly purple there is no way anyone could mistake them for blue. I also have a cool Sedgwick with an aqua centre panel and blue and purple panels side by side. The aqua and purple panels are the same colours as are in my Rev II.

686545669_0fdc78296d_m.jpg

Bob,

When you look at the photos of Steve808's REV, what would you call the colors? He did not state what the colors are, so what I wrote is my assumption from how they appeared in the photo. If you think they are the same as yours, then I shall go for purple on both, because photos can be quite misleading.

Many thanks for your feedback.

John

John

To be honest, his and mine do look identical from the photos, but I know the colours in my photo are not a true representation, that’s why I posted the photo of my Rev I for a comparison as it gives a better colour representation. I think you will need clarification from Steve to get a definitive answer as to weather his has blue or purple stripes, mine are defiantly purple.

John

To be honest, his and mine do look identical from the photos, but I know the colours in my photo are not a true representation, that’s why I posted the photo of my Rev I for a comparison as it gives a better colour representation. I think you will need clarification from Steve to get a definitive answer as to weather his has blue or purple stripes, mine are defiantly purple.

Thanks Bob, let us see what Steve808 says!

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a vented II I saw at Wildwood last weekend...

post-1792-1243780095_thumb.jpg

Do you know anything about this REV II vented? Do you know if it was originally vented by Revolution?

I know it was definitely made before 1997 due to the logo. I was not aware that a REV II "vented" was made before 1997, however I suspect it could have been possible.

Aloha

I pulled my kite out an yep, purple stripe. Checked the pict and it shows blue, weird.

Never even thought to check the pict for proper color register.

My panels are the same colors as Stone in Shoe Bob's. Great name BTW

Just ordered a new bridle and the new "travel 3 piece rod set" for it.

I know someone who has a vented Rev II. I'll see if I can talk him into digging it out to take a pict.

Steve

Anybody else see the rods in the vented REV II pict and wonder what are they and what do they do?

I assume you're talking about the "quad sticks"/"magic sticks"/"training wheels"/pick-a-name rods which are orthogonal from the verticals and propping the kite up on the beach?

Lots of people use 'em, including RevFlyer and Scotty A.; you can find tons of posts about them on the forum. Those who use them say they give the frame more structural strength and aid in tricks like flic flacs.

I've never been a fan myself, but there are plenty of Rev flyers I highly respect who hate flying kites without 'em!

Revolution has never produced a kite that includes them as a stock feature.

My panels are the same colors as Stone in Shoe Bob's. Great name BTW

Glad we got that sorted out. I love the colours too, I bought it over the net on a tip off from Big Bri, the guy who sold it to me advertised it a "Blue" then contacted me just before dispatch with the actual colour scheme I was well chuffed I matches the rest of my Revs.

And the name, it's a bit of self deprecating humour, Hay Bob you’d walk an awful lot better if you took that stone out of your shoe”

I have a limp, can't complain though I don't think I would have discovered Revs, if I hadn't broken my leg, they say the lord moves in mysterious ways, thanks to the Big Guy for that one.

Aloha

Anybody else see the rods in the vented REV II pict and wonder what are they and what do they do?

Known as "Quad Sticks" or "Training Wheels" some people think they aid reversing, can't see it myself but there you go. Oddly enough when I got the Rev II there was a set fitted, I tried them for a while but took them off, I didn't like them each to has own I suppose.

Aloha jburka

Thanks for the information.

I had heard of the magic sticks before, but have never seen them in person or in a picture.

What I noticed and reason I asked is it looks like the vertical rods have the gold rev. label on them with the addition of the kickstand or propping up pieces.

I probably should have included that in my question in the first place.

Thanks again

Steve

Aloha jburka

Thanks for the information.

I had heard of the magic sticks before, but have never seen them in person or in a picture.

What I noticed and reason I asked is it looks like the vertical rods have the gold rev. label on them with the addition of the kickstand or propping up pieces.

I probably should have included that in my question in the first place.

Thanks again

Steve

The Gold labels have been on the rods since 1989, maybe some in 1988.

The Silver labels first appeared in 2008, starting first with the race rods, then all of the rods.

The gold labels usually are labeled:

- Revolution Equipped being a 4 wrap rod

- Ultra Light (3 wrap)

- For Professional Use Only (2 wrap)

- Stiff (usually 6 wrap) - rarely seen as they are normally special order.

Sometimes there have been rods with the Advantage label which is made by Revolution, not for Revolution as some have thought.

On older rods there was only one label being "Revolution Equipped". If the label was in the center it was a 4 wrap, on the end it was a 3 wrap, mid way between the end and the center it was a 2 wrap.

The new silver label rods indicate more clearly how many wraps the rod has.

• 2 months later...
Do you know anything about this REV II vented? Do you know if it was originally vented by Revolution?

I know it was definitely made before 1997 due to the logo. I was not aware that a REV II "vented" was made before 1997, however I suspect it could have been possible.

We found a twin to this one at Revolution last week. It appears, very few were made, possibly only two.

post-41-1250568731_thumb.jpg