REV II(2) Rainbow colors - 1991 to 1996

johnnmitchell

The REV II Rainbow was produced from 1991 to 1996 and had the curved logo. There were narrow versions produced of which Felix has one. Almost all had black logos, however there is a known instance of a Red logo(Felix has this one). The logo was only curved.

The 1991-1996 REV II Rainbow is a 7 panel piece sail in 3 to 4 colors that had various logo colors. The colors known to me are:

post-41-1239745068_thumb.jpg

Center - Outer - Middle - Inner - logo color

teal - black - purple - blue (cold rainbow) - black logo

yellow - red - orange - gold (hot rainbow) - black logo

blue - pink - white - teal - black logo

blue - blue - pink - yellow - blue logo <--- FortFlyer

yellow - teal - pink - yellow - black logo

yellow - red - orange - gold - red logo (narrow sail)

white - black - aqua - blue <--- Steve808 (AWAITING confirmation of colors by Steve808)

white - black - aqua - purple <---Stone in Shoe Bob

Thanks, John

edited: 2009-05-17 17:10 EST

Blast, dont have a Rainbow!!

I do! Cool rainbow. Though I'm confused by the dates John lists...in the subject for the thread he says 1992-1996, and in the body of his message he says 1990. I thought the II came out in in '91 (my recollection is that I got my cool rainbow in Ocean City, MD at SunFest of '91). The Into the Wind catalog from 1990 does not list the kite, but the 1992 catalog does have the II and calls it the "new" kite from Revolution. Sadly, after digging in my files, I haven't yet dug up a copy of the '91 ItW catalog!

I do! Cool rainbow. Though I'm confused by the dates John lists...in the subject for the thread he says 1992-1996, and in the body of his message he says 1990. I thought the II came out in in '91 (my recollection is that I got my cool rainbow in Ocean City, MD at SunFest of '91). The Into the Wind catalog from 1990 does not list the kite, but the 1992 catalog does have the II and calls it the "new" kite from Revolution. Sadly, after digging in my files, I haven't yet dug up a copy of the '91 ItW catalog!

I meant 1992 not 1992. I will edit the original text.

I have asked, however it is not quite clear whether the REV II Rainbow came out in 1992 or a year earlier in 1991. However if you believe it was 1991, I shall bet on 1991 and correct all the 1992 to 1991. OK?

I meant 1992 not 1992.

I'm not sure that's any more clear!

I have asked, however it is not quite clear whether the REV II Rainbow came out in 1992 or a year earlier in 1991. However if you believe it was 1991, I shall bet on 1991 and correct all the 1992 to 1991. OK?

Here's what I've learned since my last post: I built my first custom Rev II in June of '92 (hooray me, for dating everything I build!). I used my factory cool rainbow II as a pattern. I'm still fairly certain I got my factory II the previous September at SunFest, but I suppose there's a slim chance that I picked it up at MASKC in April '92.

I'm not sure that's any more clear!

For me it is clear as mud!

Try "I meant 1992 not 1990"

Here's what I've learned since my last post: I built my first custom Rev II in June of '92 (hooray me, for dating everything I build!). I used my factory cool rainbow II as a pattern. I'm still fairly certain I got my factory II the previous September at SunFest, but I suppose there's a slim chance that I picked it up at MASKC in April '92.

Okay, I'll buy 1991 for the release year of the REV II Rainbow.

Thanks, John

Hi John-

Did all of the Rev II's from that time have the Patent # on it and a stamp on the back from San Diego CA?

So far, I have not seen a REV II that had a patent pending on it. All the REV II's, I saw, had a REV tab on the back. I have not noticed a patent number or pending on any of the REV II tabs.

So far, I have not seen a REV II that had a patent pending on it. All the REV II's, I saw, had a REV tab on the back. I have not noticed a patent number or pending on any of the REV II tabs.

For what it's worth my II has the patent number on the face under the curved Revolution logo and the Claremont Drive stamp on the tip reinforcement...

That's exactly what I was referring to. I guess that was the norm for them... for how long, though?

As far as I can determine it stayed that way through 1996. Even the 1997 straight logo we found had the same tabs on the back without any reference to a patent. The patent number is on the front of the sail as with previous REV II's.

The REV II was not produced again until around 2003. It assumed the rainbow panel layout at that time with very different colors. In 2008 there was a panel change just for the progressive train and in 2009 this new panel layout became the standard panel layout, though the older one is still available.

OK found a better crappy cell phone pic. Course it has been slightly customized B)

This one is faded but it has a twin that's got better colors.

I would call the original color as being:

center blue with possibly a blue logo

Outer to inner = blue - pink - white

Is that anywhere close to the original colors?

or was it originally blue and the two vertical stripes added later?

I would call the original color as being:

center blue with possibly a blue logo

Outer to inner = blue - pink - white

Is that anywhere close to the original colors?

or was it originally blue and the two vertical stripes added later?

From out to in is, Blue,Pink,Yellow with Blue Center and Blue lettering. This one is old and very used the material is paper thin.

I have the brother to this kite in much better shape i'll try and get a decent pic for you.

Course it has been slightly customized B)

Forty, Forty, naughty Forty ;)

Are you responsible for crop circles too ? ;)

John> will you be doing a similiar thread with piccies of the vented Rev IIs from the different eras ?

Forty, Forty, naughty Forty ;)

Are you responsible for crop circles too ? ;)

John> will you be doing a similiar thread with piccies of the vented Rev IIs from the different eras ?

Rev II's were only vented (finally) last year I believe, until then we had to do weird things like crop circle kites :blushing:

Funny thing is all those holes have a strange side effect, They also make Rev II's fly in lighter winds :wacko:

Rev II's were only vented (finally) last year I believe, until then we had to do weird things like crop circle kites :blushing:

Funny thing is all those holes have a strange side effect, They also make Rev II's fly in lighter winds :wacko:

The REV II Neo Classic made only in 1997, I was told, was also vented. I heard Penny has one.

The REV II Neo Classic made only in 1997, I was told, was also vented. I heard Penny has one.

That sounds right -- I'm pretty sure I saw a factory vented II around that time because I built one in time for the '97 Wildwood Convention, and I don't think it would have occurred to me to use the vent design I did if I hadn't seen it on a factory kite!

That sounds right -- I'm pretty sure I saw a factory vented II around that time because I built one in time for the '97 Wildwood Convention, and I don't think it would have occurred to me to use the vent design I did if I hadn't seen it on a factory kite!

1997 would have been the year of the first factory vented REV II.

The first factory vented REV 1.5 and REV I were in January 1996. In 1997 the vent on the REV I changed from single vertical stripe vent on each side to a single triangular vent on on each side. The REV II, I understand had the same vent.

My first vented REV was a REV I, which I made in August 1993. It had 3 vertical stripe vents with covers on each side. The next one I made was completed in January 1995, which I could not fly for another couple months because I had broken my arm. It had two vertical vents on each side, similar to the factory venting used today on all the REV 1.5's and the 2009 REV I.

The first factory vented REV 1.5 and REV I were in January 1996. In 1997 the vent on the REV I changed from single vertical stripe vent on each side to a single triangular vent on on each side. The REV II, I understand had the same vent.

Yes, the original vented II had the triangular vent, which is what I modeled mine on (I was poking around online to see if there are any pictures of the two I've made floating around, but I don't see any; I'll have to check at home). However, I didn't have access to a kite on which to measure the vents, so I just guessed, based on my recollection. My vents work well, but not as well as the current B vent design.