tips for beginners

flummi

Question

hi guys.

im very new with rev. my bofried bought it for me after we saw them in portsmounth on a rev kite festival and i loved it. but the thing is im not very good YET and i have noone to give me advise or tips. i have read d manual and watched the dvd that came with the rev(i ve a 1,5 EXP). so far i have learned how to start d kite, to fly sideways and so.

but i have a problem to make the kite stand when i want to start it and when im alone thats a problem cause there is noone to hold it for me so that i can lift it to the air, so it just lies flat on the ground. any tips on that?

any other beginner tips you could give me. like if i should adjust the lines or something, anything..........

and could someone explain the difference between the different kites.

thanks for any answer

24 answers to this question

hi guys.

im very new with rev. my bofried bought it for me after we saw them in portsmounth on a rev kite festival and i loved it. but the thing is im not very good YET and i have noone to give me advise or tips. i have read d manual and watched the dvd that came with the rev(i ve a 1,5 EXP). so far i have learned how to start d kite, to fly sideways and so.

but i have a problem to make the kite stand when i want to start it and when im alone thats a problem cause there is noone to hold it for me so that i can lift it to the air, so it just lies flat on the ground. any tips on that?

any other beginner tips you could give me. like if i should adjust the lines or something, anything..........

thanks for any answer

Hi Flummi,

It would probably be best to meet up with local fliers.

If you are local to Portsmouth there are some people there I think who could help.

Felix

Hi Flummi

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Darkside.

First you don’t say where you live, because, I wouldn’t mind betting that it there is another Rev flyer within 50 miles of you, they will be inviting you to come a fly with them, we are a friendly, helpful bunch and we are very gregarious. Though somewhat dated the Rev instruction DVD is extremely informative but it is no match for a bit of face to face tuition, if you get such an invite be sure to take it up you will learn so much in a few hours spent with someone with a little experience, I was very lucky when I started out because I share a home field wit some of the UK’s best, a little help makes a big difference.

You say you first saw Revs at the Portsmouth festival, are you local or were you there on holiday because I know there is a small group of very experienced fliers just along the coast at Southampton.

Second, practice but above all ENJOY.

Welcome to the Darkside. :big_starwars:

Someone have a link to info about brake settings handy?

The EXP doesn't come with the adjustable leaders. :(

John

I thought of that, but I don't think there is one, not one suitable for a beginner anyway and to be honest I thought that may be a subject best tackled face to face.

i have a problem to make the kite stand when i want to start it and when im alone thats a problem cause there is noone to hold it for me so that i can lift it to the air, so it just lies flat on the ground. any tips on that?

thanks for any answer

The best way to get a kite to stand before launch is to use a kite stake, and lean the kite back so it will not self launch. then just grab your handles , and launch the kite.

I fly alone alot, and have trouble sorting out the Right handle form the Left handle after landing, so I have marked one handle with RED tape to tell Right from Left when flying alone.

To learn about all the different Kites I have provided this link

http://www.revkites.com/main/products

Links to leader lines & brake

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1783

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1358

Welcome to the darkside & the forum. :sign_welcome:

A kitestake is a mandatory accessory for quad line kites. You can use a large screw driver or ice pick for now until you are able to make or purchase a real kitestake. A kitestake will hold the handles in place while you are setting up and attaching your kite to the lines, and will allow you to "park" the kite while you catch a breather, eat lunch, or whatever. If you live in the UK, there are more Rev fliers there than you can shake a lamb chop at, you will find someone to fly with and get that extra instruction that will help make flying such a pleasure.

Good luck and welcome to the world of quad line kites! (aka "The Dark Side")

Although I *lust* walt's Marble Stakes, and a new Duck Stake, I always forget something behind. Typically my stake. So I stay "old-school" and use a screwdriver to hold my handles in place. Cheap enough, especially since I get em 2-for-$1 at my local dollar store. Think I've been through $2.50 so far (and that includes coming back next week and still finding it there :-) .

As far as the knots go, I love this link http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1046 for talking about the knots and making my own. If its good enough for iQuad and the best flyer in the world, its good enough for me. I basically made a set of knots centering around 6.5" difference between the top line and the bottom line. On rare occassions I've appreciated more, on more occasions less. So I'd guess a set of knots between 7.5 - 4.5 suits me fine (though you'll find plenty more diverse opinions here).

But the best advice? Find some friends to fly with. Its definitely more fun with friends, and since its ultimately a physical skill, fly, fly, fly.

hi guys.

thanks for any answer

Magic Sticks!! You can get them at Flying Smiles Kites in Corolla, NC, go to flyingsmileskites.com and call them they're real good! Good Luck! :)

Although I *lust* walt's Marble Stakes, and a new Duck Stake, I always forget something behind. Typically my stake. So I stay "old-school" and use a screwdriver to hold my handles in place. Cheap enough, especially since I get em 2-for-$1 at my local dollar store. Think I've been through $2.50 so far (and that includes coming back next week and still finding it there :-) .

Losing a screwdriver in the ground isn't too good for a field that may have mowers cutting the grass.

I almost lost a screwdriver stuck in the ground at one event on soccer fields, and had to spend a good deal of time looking for it. I didn't want anyone to run it over and get hurt or damage something.

My advice, if the "stake" you use is not easily visible, tie something to it so that it is. And never leave one in the ground when you leave.

no im not from Portsmouth, i was only there for a long weekend. i live in northe west london. we go kiting (me my bf and friends-they r landboard kiters) to different areas but unfortunatly havent met any other rev kiter yet (a part form the ones in portsmouth). so if there is anyone from london willing to help. pls let me knowwwww :)

well thx everyone for your tips and advice. i will try to practice and practice and fly fly fly.

Hi Flummi

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Darkside.

First you don't say where you live, because, I wouldn't mind betting that it there is another Rev flyer within 50 miles of you, they will be inviting you to come a fly with them, we are a friendly, helpful bunch and we are very gregarious. Though somewhat dated the Rev instruction DVD is extremely informative but it is no match for a bit of face to face tuition, if you get such an invite be sure to take it up you will learn so much in a few hours spent with someone with a little experience, I was very lucky when I started out because I share a home field wit some of the UK's best, a little help makes a big difference.

You say you first saw Revs at the Portsmouth festival, are you local or were you there on holiday because I know there is a small group of very experienced fliers just along the coast at Southampton.

Second, practice but above all ENJOY.

Welcome to the Darkside. :big_starwars:

no im not from Portsmouth, i was only there for a long weekend. i live in northe west london. we go kiting (me my bf and friends-they r landboard kiters) to different areas but unfortunatly havent met any other rev kiter yet (a part form the ones in portsmouth). so if there is anyone from london willing to help. pls let me knowwwww :)

well thx everyone for your tips and advice. i will try to practice and practice and fly fly fly.

Hi there

I am in Watford so am not too far away from NW London. I go to Dunstable Downs and there are quite a few flyers get up there who will all be willing to offer advice and help you out. its onlty 10 mins from Junction 10 of the M1.

Like you I had not met up with any othe Rev fliers before i went there and they are a great bunch.

They have good facilitiers up there, hot drinks, food and toilets.

If you would like to go up there you will be made more than welcome

Regards

Keith

Another place you often meet Rev fliers in the London area is Blackheath. I think Felix flies there quite a bit. He is a member of The Decorators who fly team. Also a few others on here often go there.

I rarely fly with others, on the few times I have it is much easier to learn from direct advice. I am sure you will find someone to fly with.

Losing a screwdriver in the ground isn't too good for a field that may have mowers cutting the grass.

I almost lost a screwdriver stuck in the ground at one event on soccer fields, and had to spend a good deal of time looking for it. I didn't want anyone to run it over and get hurt or damage something.

My advice, if the "stake" you use is not easily visible, tie something to it so that it is. And never leave one in the ground when you leave.

Hi Jeff-

I agree with you.

Have you ever tripped over one of them? That's not fun, either. It's not fair for anyone going for a nice walk or kids running around to trip over it, as well.

Get a holster and hang on to it... Bob. In the long run, you won't be leaving 'em behind, so there won't be any extra $$ spent!

Dunstable is my home field two, you will be very welcome to join us, we usually meet Sunday afternoons and a few of us also meet up on Friday evenings but if you are coming any distance it would be better to come Sundays as there would be more time to make your trip worthwhile.

As I said you will be very welcome but it’s best to post on the forum first as we are starting to get into the festival season now so we may be well be elsewhere.

As I said you will be very welcome but it’s best to post on the forum first as we are starting to get into the festival season now so we may be well be elsewhere.

What like Berck :lol::) ( 2 days and counting if the French fishermen let us :angry: )

Another place you often meet Rev fliers in the London area is Blackheath. I think Felix flies there quite a bit. He is a member of The Decorators who fly team. Also a few others on here often go there.

We are on Blackheath c10:30 - 12:30 most Sundays except when at festivals. Usually a couple of fliers from the Team and other, 'not now beginners' as well.

Felix

The very first lesson I provide is "how to cartwheel the kite".

If you crash, this is the position the kite will be in. If you land the kite after flying awhile, this is the safety position to leave it. Knowing how to roll the kite over gently is the first skill to acquire. Then you don't need an assistant to help you launch!

Start with the kite resting on the leading edge (inverted). Look down the lines and determine which handle is on top. Typicvally the lines are crossed over the top of one or the other. Push that "top hand" THUMB at the kite slowly. Insure you have all the tension applied (no slack!) to each line,... walk backwards slightly if necessary. Leave the other handle "neutral". The kite will roll-over as one wing drops forward and grabs air pressure. Practice doing this technique slowly, as the kite rolls over to vertical (leading edge is now pointing directly up) bring both handles back to your neutral position,... otherwise the kite will keep right on rolling across the soil.

You will determine how much "DOWN" to tune into your handles after you replace the leaders. Take a piece of braided dacron (my preference is hi-test bridle line 100 pound strength as it's easier to tie and untie. It's both spectra and a dacron combined).

Fold the line in half and larkshead to the top leaders.

The length of these two legs should reach to beyond

the end of the bottom leader attachment points. The longer the handle throw is the longer the leader should be. Now add some knots spaced equally no more than an inch apart starting at the outer most edge towards the kite.

The length of the bottom leader will be determined by testing.

You want the kite to back-up when inverted. This is a skill-set of some significant experience though,.. Hence the need for a coach or fellow REV pilot with more experience. You have the "DOWN" properly tuned when the kite will back-up with the leading edge inverted. Keep adding down until this takes place. The forward drive will now seem severely restricted. GOOD! That's the objective. Every kite will go forward, many will stall too, but a quad needs to back-up to be flown to it's maximum potential.

Make certain all four flying lines are perfectly equal (1.)

Adjust your "down", adding new leaders if necessary (2.)

Practice rolling over the kite (3.)

Practice flying the kite smoothly as you back-up while inverted (4.)

don't discouraged, this ain't gonna happen in the first attempts. Start with lower expectations. Like backing it up 3 meters and holding it. Eventually we all want to see it go to the top of the wind window like it was moun ted on railroad tracks,.. Races are run against a stopwatch in REV games using this technique. This is a quick way to separate the boys from the real manly men too!

Go to the trouble to find a coach! It can cut years of frustration away in a single afternoon.

I have to say, early on, Paul stressed to me about holding an inverted hover for as long as I could and just keep repeating that, then gaining altitude and doing the same thing. It most definitely helped build my "muscle memory". I still do it just to keep "honing" my skills.

Thanks, Paul ;) great advice!!

I have to say, early on, Paul stressed to me about holding an inverted hover for as long as I could and just keep repeating that, then gaining altitude and doing the same thing. It most definitely helped build my "muscle memory". I still do it just to keep "honing" my skills.

Thanks, Paul ;) great advice!!

Muscle memory is good to know and the inverted hover is the place, as with the transitions, to learn it. We have a gentle routine on Blackheath, nothing formal; but will be happy to help anyone who arrives within our time frame.

Felix