Obliviots

albroswift

What can be done with the Obliviots, walking through the lines, riding rented mopeds through the lines, etc? We go up into the driftwood to get off the main tracks, even set up sticks with caution tape flying in the breeze, but still some people, oblivious to the rest of the world, seem to work their rented moped over miles of sand intent on running through camp and the lines! (Maybe these are the same people crashing rented jetskis into each other in the summer time, I don't know...) I thought the caution tape was a good idea, even though it tends to tangle up with the lines from time to time, and the sticks poking up have their own inherent issues, but I don't know, like the old saying, "Nothing is foolproof cause fools are so ingenious!"

Well, not expecting any solutions, but thanks for letting me rant!

AL

WELL I CAN AGREE WITH MY LAST YEAR,S DOG ACCIDENT!!!!!! no matter where you go their will always be somebody that is just to stupid to see what your doing and come and mess it all up.. its part of our hobby and i have delt with it for years.. i think its a way to test your aility to be a better person

i think its a way to test your aility to be a better person

Good point Ant. Perhaps every Obliviot (I like that word too) is a golden opportunity to improve your moral standing...............or ruin your day. Either way get over it and go on with your life, because you can bet they're not thinking about you right now.

Last year someone came very close to trampling my lines and getting all tangled up in them at our festival. I politely pointed out the lines they were about to mess up and they said, "We were told we could fly here". Well, gee, yes you can, but that doesn't mean you should be standing on top of me to do it. I was as far away as I could get for that very reason. There were acres of unused space they had to cross to get to where I was.

Bart

Good point Ant. Perhaps every Obliviot (I like that word too) is a golden opportunity to improve your moral standing...............or ruin your day. Either way get over it and go on with your life, because you can bet they're not thinking about you right now.

My moral standing is quite improved! Day not ruined by any means, just helps to rant a little, thanks...

(Maybe with the proper booby traps, next time they will be thinking about me, hehehe...)

We were talking about Ocean Shores today at work and Ray, the one guy who's never been there was asking about it, I was telling him you could rent horses, atv's , mopeds, pedal cars, you can fly kites, you could drive your cars on the beach, ride your bike or motorbike...

Mike added the only thing you better not do is lay on the beach!

Definition of obliviot :.

(o-blÄ­v'Ä­-ot)

1. (n.) Someone who is completely unaware of their idiocy. :big_bangin:

Thanks AL

Love that word!

Have used it at least a dozen times already.

I really needed this!

I sometimes like to keep a shockwave on 60' lines set up just for Obliviots 70 mph dive stops tend to wake (some) people up quickly usually followed by some mumbled swearing,

My response is usually well I was just trying to save you from having your legs "cut to the bone" from the $80 lines you didn't seem to care about stepping all over.

Actually I saw a nice sign someone had made up in the Kiteparty Pictures I would love to get a few of those set up :lol:

Of course now I can't find that pic :angry:

• Like 1

On sunday Jonesey pointed out to a lady that her dog was in danger of getting hurt if it continued to run through our lines. She got all arsey and complained that the dog couldn't see the lines so couldn't avoid them even if she told it to. I thought dogs had excellent eyesight, although I must admit I was surprise to learn they spoke English too.

Over here we call them gonks (when we're being polite that is).

So far I have been lucky, people at Kitehenge have been relatively aware of the lines laid across the grass. Maybe it is because it shows up better there than in the sand?

You need to come visit the henge someday Al, it is a lot closer then Ocean Shores too!

Walt it's strange how people get in Newport R.I. we can have 10-15 kites flying or parked at once and the ground looks like a giant cheese slicer the idiots think its a game of hopscotch :blink: and that's on grass.

I call it the Idiolympic games ;)

On sunday Jonesey pointed out to a lady that her dog was in danger of getting hurt if it continued to run through our lines. She got all arsey and complained that the dog couldn't see the lines so couldn't avoid them even if she told it to. I thought dogs had excellent eyesight, although I must admit I was surprise to learn they spoke English too.

Other uses of the word "Gonk"

A gonk in computer-speak is the user's least favourite piece of hardware.

In Northern Ireland, gonks are another name for underpants.

In the 1978 film Dawn of the Dead, "The Gonk" by Herbert Chappell was a piece of Muzak on the film's soundtrack. The song appeared in the soundtrack to the 2004 film Shaun of the Dead in remixed form, entitled "Fun Dead (Cheggars Vs The Gonk - Osymyso Remix)". Another version of the song is used during the ending credits of the Cartoon Network series Robot Chicken.

Gonk is slang for a cat with large eyes and poor balance.

Gonk was used to refer to a droid supplying power in Star Wars.

In the 1987 film Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, Elvira calls her poodle Gonk. It was intended to be short for 'Algonquin'

In Ottawa, Algonquin College is sometimes referred to as 'the Gonk'.

In the Republic of Ireland and Scotland "gonk" is a derogatory term

Gonk is British Army slang for sleep.

"Gonk" was a piece of music by UK DJ/producer Dave Clarke originally released in 1994 as part of the Red series.

"The Golden Gonk" is a musical project of UK-based multi-instrumentalist and composer Jamie Azzopardi.

During an in-studio audio recording, Orson Welles became irate when the audio engineer requested a retake due to an outside noise; which the engineer referred to as a "gonk".

Simon Gonk was the drummer in Antiproduct for 5 years from 2000-2005.

Gonk is a slang insult, for a droopy looking character.

800px-AaGoGonk_plates2.jpg

Actually I saw a nice sign someone had made up in the Kiteparty Pictures I would love to get a few of those set up :lol:

I would think that a sign or two on the beach that says, "DANGER - LANDMINE TESTING IN PROCESS" would give folks pause. Especially if you had a few duds piled up at your feet.

Cheers,

Tom

So far I have been lucky, people at Kitehenge have been relatively aware of the lines laid across the grass. Maybe it is because it shows up better there than in the sand?

You need to come visit the henge someday Al, it is a lot closer then Ocean Shores too!

Tell me where, brother!

End of the day, we have to be more responsible than they are... We know more than they do.

It may be sad, but it's to be expected that people will be unaware (much of the world).

I watch my kites and lines more in trouble areas, try to pick my spot for parking kites with some forethought, and I make sure my flight paths illustrate what is going on in that area... Nothing like thumping into the ground 50 feet away from someone who is approaching my flight area, they don't tend to come too close after that.

• Like 1

End of the day, we have to be more responsible than they are... We know more than they do.

It may be sad, but it's to be expected that people will be unaware (much of the world).

I watch my kites and lines more in trouble areas, try to pick my spot for parking kites with some forethought, and I make sure my flight paths illustrate what is going on in that area... Nothing like thumping into the ground 50 feet away from someone who is approaching my flight area, they don't tend to come too close after that.

Well said John and that is what I do alot of, scare them away....Ben :blue-cool: :blue-cool:
  • Like 1

Aye.

Another thing to remember, all it takes is ONE jerk who happens to have a seat or pull on the city council, then kite flying gets banned.

Again, we've got to be the bigger people, it's our responsibility, for everyone else's sake.

but we want to chase 'em all the way back to their vehicles John! Tangle their darn dogs into the lines, bop the little ones

I know, I know, just one person can screw it up for the whole bunch of us,... Still I want to chase 'em so bad!

but we want to chase 'em all the way back to their vehicles John! Tangle their darn dogs into the lines, bop the little ones

I know, I know, just one person can screw it up for the whole bunch of us,... Still I want to chase 'em so bad!

I think you've hit on a new Rev Game. We could call it "The most Dangerous Rev Game"

Ya, I know what you mean. :)