Home-Made Kite Bags

Jon aka Spz0 has engineered a home-made dualie bag... and I a Rev bag...

Thought we all could share some thoughts and ideas and possibly come up with some useful information for a manufacturer to duplicate... OR just share some patterns for those who'd like to make one themselves.

Check out the Kitelife site for our ideas... http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3194&st=0

How about yours?

:confused!: + :g: = :ani_idea:

Jon aka Spz0 has engineered a home-made dualie bag... and I a Rev bag...

Thought we all could share some thoughts and ideas and possibly come up with some useful information for a manufacturer to duplicate... OR just share some patterns for those who'd like to make one themselves.

Check out the Kitelife site for our ideas... http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3194&st=0

How about yours?

:confused!: + :g: = :ani_idea:

hey, the link didn't go ....

I'll have to take some pics of the bag I made for our Revs. I did a few things that you might want on future kite bags like simple secure places for stakes and a wide shoulder strap.

Hey Mel...

Your bag is perfection, personified!

It's very, very well thought out for all of your Rev needs.

Hey Mel...

Your bag is perfection, personified!

It's very, very well thought out for all of your Rev needs.

Melanie ~

I'm really interested in seeing your Rev bag before I make any more. Getting additional ideas from the "more experienced" fliers can only help. Thanks!

Melanie ~

I'm really interested in seeing your Rev bag before I make any more. Getting additional ideas from the "more experienced" fliers can only help. Thanks!

You saw it at Treasure Island, silly!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting senile in your old age????????????????

Scott promised to post pics....hopefully he will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott promised to post pics....hopefully he will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder no more. Pics and commentary below

post-2557-1238590236_thumb.jpg

I sewed the strap on first. Crossing the strap with additional stitches only makes it stronger. The material I chose was Jute webbing. Note: the material choices for this bag were made in keeping with the militia theme of our club. (which is now an AKA affiliated club)

post-2557-1238590253_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the way I set up the pockets. Since the flap on top will keep the kites from going anywhere when the bag is rolled up I felt no need to have the kite pockets deeper than half the length of the rolled up kite. This allowed room for an extra pocket above every 4th kite pocket. Actually I started with an extra pocket above the first one. In other words...gear, kite, kite, kite, gear, kite, kite, kite, gear, etc. The total for this bag is 9 kite pockets and 8 gear pockets.

post-2557-1238590265_thumb.jpg

Close up of one of the gear pockets above. An extra line of stitching along the side of the pocket made a place to keep a kite stake.

post-2557-1238590274_thumb.jpg

Back of the open bag. The Velcro on the back had to be put on before sewing any pockets so as not to sew them closed. It is longer than the velcro on the inside edge so as to allow the bag to close snug with varying numbers of kites in it. I used heavy duty sticky backed velcro. The sticky back makes it easier to place for sewing. It also will immediately bind up the thread and make machine sewing impossible and hand sewing excrutiating. Not to fear...after some experimenting, and consulting with Melanie, the solution was found. Take a can of spray silicone, and soak the bobin and the spool just before sewing the velcro. After that, it sewed down pretty as you please.

I'm not sure that it's actualy "perfection" as Laura said, but it sure made me feel good to get the compliment. Thanks Laura.

The one thing I wish I had done was to make at least the bottom of the kite pockets mesh to let sand out. At home that's not an issue, but when we travel to the beach that's a different story.

Scott and Mel ~

Though I prefer a bag, rather than a roll-up... I picked up two great tips from you guys...

As you said... A wider strap (and I like how you secured it).. and the pocket/s especially for stakes.

Certainly going to add those embellishments if and when I try this again! Well thought out bag!

Thanks for your imput... and your photos are great!

• 9 months later...

My dual line stunt kites, travel in a home made bag, similar to a golf bag. The bag is made out of heavy denim fabric, and designed to put the kites (in their individual sleeves) in at the top of the bag, as you would a golf club. I also added a shoulder strap and a cover, that snaps over the top. Doubles as a storage bag, when I'm not flying. I have made several of these, different sizes, but this is my latest creation.............cool.gif

post-2742-12627082975_thumb.jpg

How easy would it be to design 2 shoulder straps into the bag. Then it could be carried like a backpack, properly giving you both hands free?

I find that with a single back strap the bag keeps slipping round if I sling it across my shoulders, or slipping off if I put it on one shoulder.

Of course the two strap idea might not work due to the length of the bags, just thought I would throw it in as a question.

My dual line stunt kites, travel in a home made bag, similar to a golf bag. The bag is made out of heavy denim fabric, and designed to put the kites (in their individual sleeves) in at the top of the bag, as you would a golf club. I also added a shoulder strap and a cover, that snaps over the top. Doubles as a storage bag, when I'm not flying. I have made several of these, different sizes, but this is my latest creation.............cool.gif

I like your design much better than having to unroll the whole bag to take a kite out :kid_frustrated:

Cheers

Mario

My NEW and IMPROVED REV bag which I made for $7.

Canvas, with a wide shoulder strap and adorned with a Rev patch (thanks to Rev) and a DOTA patch (thanks to Dean).

post-2498-12627535126_thumb.jpg

It holds 8 Revs. The lower pocket is for stakes, 2 line sets along with 2 sets of handles, and it's super light weight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now Jynx's new red bag is right up my ally. I love the roll up for storage and car-trunk protection, but I've just been looking around for a bag to carry a few revs, some duelies and maybe an SLK or two out to the field. I thought of a light golf bag, but this is better. Load 'em from the top. maybe two straps to free up my hands. Simple is good. Thanks Jynx.

Now Jynx's new red bag is right up my ally. I love the roll up for storage and car-trunk protection, but I've just been looking around for a bag to carry a few revs, some duelies and maybe an SLK or two out to the field. I thought of a light golf bag, but this is better. Load 'em from the top. maybe two straps to free up my hands. Simple is good. Thanks Jynx.

Thanks Mitch... It works for me!

Forgot to mention that both the top and bottom flaps have Velcro strips for a secure closure.