Interesting discussion

KiteLife

"Due respect always Bruce, but there's a different perspective when one has seen and been a part of successful competition events..."

Yup, I have a certain perspective, successfully competed on wheels and water for quite a a while, different pond.

"At one time, competitions were LOTS of fun, and drew a great deal of public interest."

As you say "at one time", the world has moved on.

"As competition rules became more and more defined (over-defined if you ask me) and artistry was less rewarded, the overall appeal reduced... Coupled with the current economics of organizing and entering competitions, we're not running the same kind of competitions that we used to."

Wrong folk in charge of the competition rule book?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Competition experience duly noted, although if I understand water/wheels right, different competition dynamics at work.

As for "moved on", I'm going to pass on circular discussion, thanks though.

Wrong folk... LOL... They're the folk who stepped up and got involved, right or wrong.

Why are you prompting a joust anyway? All I asked for as moderator of this forum was to create a dedicated thread on a topic.

This particular thread was initiated by North American pilots and AKA topics, regarding how to revitalize what we've got, the discussion prompted new ideas from the other side of the pond (namely Felix) which warrant a spin off exploration on this same forum.

No need to tear down, let's just get the new discussion rolling... Sheesh.

As I recall, the commentators at Bristol on the Saturday could not see that the kites were lined up and ready to go. They were 'side on' and carried on talking....

Eventually there was a wind shift which left the fliers on the left at the very edge of their wind window and with no where to go as the fliers on the right maintained their position, because they still could.

Felix

Yup, understand there was poor communication available between the field and the PA, but why? a few yards of walking would have sorted that out.

I have the many Mbytes of video showing all those flying around in circles on the right of centre (reversed from the fliers viewpoint)while a certain group including Anniversary kites were patiently parked to the left, problem is there is little of use.

I'll be interested to read how the Novice Class multi-line comps go this year - not long to go now? It's clear to me that the assumption that all quad-line flyers "graduated" from dual-line (and therefore could not be classified as novices) was fundamentally flawed. Likewise, it's my understanding that some pretty experienced flyers also compete in novice categories for other disciplines anyway.

No doubt that I would class as an outright Novice in competition, but (for me) life is just too short to commit limited fly time to solitary routine figures, when there is otherwise an opportunity for sociable flying in team / group learning situations.

Team, for me, promotes the desire / aspiration for precision, but it's a less isolated way of progressing. I'm sure teams do 'compete' - informally - where two or three are performing at a festival: comparing their music choices, the routine, accuracy, etc.

Please keep us informed on the new (quad-line) competition classes and how they are for both competitors and - equally important - visitors / audience.

<snip>

This particular thread was initiated by North American pilots and AKA topics, regarding how to revitalize what we've got, the discussion prompted new ideas from the other side of the pond (namely Felix) which warrant a spin off exploration on this same forum.

No need to tear down, let's just get the new discussion rolling... Sheesh.

OK I was thinking aloud earlier and now, after Berck, there 'is' an agenda. There were a number of teams at Berck and they all did Arena Presentations as far as I am aware. These were not billed as a competition but I am 'very' aware that all of the teams were trying to present themselves in the best possible light.

We know that some of the teams are able to fly together on a regular basis and so one would expect them to be able to put on a more sophisticated display. The post festival release of videos by some of the teams is actually an extension of the event... and may reach a wider audience again.

The collaboration between the teams in the mega fly was apparently repeated some 26 times during the course of the 9 days of the event. I do not know how many times the teams flew their own arena presentations, but I suspect it was quite a few!

We know that competitions have been formalised to the n'th degree in the past and I would not want to advocate any attempt to impose those type of conditions on the scenario outlined above.

I am asking if anyone could propose a means of judging without impeding the flow of events that seemed so successful at the Berck event. I am thinking that the fliers determine the agenda and ask the judges to respond... <grins>

My main concern about the Berck event was that the arena was packed with parked kites and fliers and that there was a long line of tall closely spaced banners on one side of the arena. Finding space to fly outside the arena was not easy at hight tide. (The Rev arena at Portsmouth was very successful I thought, less so at Bristol due to the constraints of the site and wind direction.)

It is a long time since I have been at STACK event so I will be watching how things go at Rougham on 16th & 17th May taking particular notice of public attendance!

Felix

This came in from the Eastern League!!!

Announcement: *Novice Multi-line for 2009-2010 season!!!! *I'll discuss

this more in the upcoming EL newsletter, but the Eastern League board has

voted to introduce Novice Multiline Precision (NMP) and Ballet (NMB) as EL

disciplines starting with the BASKC competition in the 2009-2010 season.

The goal is to show the AKA that there are folks out there who want to

compete in multi-line, but want to be brought in as novices with the same

consideration as is extended to novice dual-line competitors.

It's time for all the novice fliers to pick some music and work on the figures!

Great way to improve skill set, and less of a chance not to take others out on the line. There is not a huge number of fliers so, there is a good chance to win, place or show, from my experience it is a great way to work on skills, that most, just free flying ignore.(IMO) Everyone wants to fly better so the precision moves are a great training tool. they look easy on paper. I have heard many times when suggesting a specific move or exercise, "Oh I can do that already". teach me an axel. Comp is not for everyone but I know if you want to get better, this is one way how to. fly it once and ask to be scored! no second chances, If you take the time to enter to the comp field you might look at the 6 choices they give 30 days in advance, practice them all ( enhance your skill level ) you will find your weak spots and If you care how you fly you will work on them! PERIOD..... Even If comp is not for you and it will take the fun out of it. These moves will improve your skill set. Unless your a mutant!!

The clinics John has been running do not teach you how to control your kite, (OWN THY HOVER) comes from getting excited to join a team fly and practicing CONTROL.

My best advise is to get a look at the precision moves and try em on your own and see exactly where your skill level is.

post-1950-1241707919_thumb.png

My main concern about the Berck event was that the arena was packed with parked kites and fliers and that there was a long line of tall closely spaced banners on one side of the arena. Finding space to fly outside the arena was not easy at high tide.

Nothing like a challenge: high tides; tall banners; crowds of beach/shell combers and with Stephen's new rev in my care. ;)

Maybe you should think about what the competition flyers do at events in the UK, utilise the morning for the comps (?),

and stick to the usual schedule (as in Berck's case) with the afternoons for the demos (just a thought) :confused!:

hope those who wish to do competition get all they want out of it, including judging and behind the scenes stuff, as there is a lot of involvement and organisation of these events. Good luck.