Rev flying

KiteLife

TaK - thanks for sharing a great personal story so well.

Physically, I have only minor arthritis in lower back and neck. It dissolves from consciousness whenever I am doing something I enjoy. Flying duals and quads both qualify (until I bend over to dismantle the kite after a session). I always try to fly to music, both to relax me and to give me a target to fly to.

I have been concentrating on quad flying - my challenge and chosen goal. It is fun, amazing, and satisfying to see some progress.

But I recently discovered that flying a dual, approaching sunset, with music, is the most relaxing activity in my world. It is the most mentally therapeutic thing I do. Surprisingly, after a year of very little dual, almost all quad air time, I find my timing and confidence with a dual line is improved. So, I believe quad line flying improves one's reflexes in ways that spill over into other areas.

• 3 weeks later...

HAVE TO ADD MY OWN TWO CENTS WORTH!! Had BOTH HIPS REPLACED A YEAR AND A HALF AGO!! Suffered A STROKE 10 YEARS AGO!! Still flying!! Before hip replacement walking on loose sand wasn't any fun, but now there is no stopping me!! Flying is so relaxing, and time just goes by so effortlessly. Quads, duals, it all works, just don't give up!! You may learn to be a better flyer in the bargain!! Flying is supposed to be fun, not work!! Enjoy!!!:blue_wink:

Edited by stroke victim

It dissolves from consciousness whenever I am doing something I enjoy.

Funny, my husband says the same thing about me -- that I can be in bad pain for weeks leading up to a festival, and for weeks afterward, but while I'm there, I seem fine.

I have psoriatic arthritis that affects my legs, back, neck, sacro-iliac joints, shoulders, and on, and on. Huge quantities of drugs (NSAIDs, tumor necrosis factor inhibitors, etc) generally keep it in check, but there's no question that kiting helps keep me more limber and generally in better physical condition.

Hi JB and everyone on the forum,

It's been ages since i posted but i continue to lurk on the forum from time to time and still fly my rev(s) whenever i get chance.

Some of you know my story, in 2008 i was diagnosed with cancer, Non-hodgkin Lymphoma, and whilst i craved being out in the fresh air and running and cycling, flying my rev was the thing that got me through 6 months of chemo. We're incredibly lucky to live by the beach and on days where i felt like i'd been given a gallon of weedkiller to drink, getting out and flying was the thing that cleared my head, and body, ready for the next onslaught of chemo. Plugging in to my ipod and flying for a couple of hours did wonders for my mental health during that time.

Now i'm in remission and training for my second triathlon having completed a half marathon, 140 mile charity bike ride, bungee jump and about to complete the 15 Snowdonia peaks above 3000 ft all for charity, but i will always value the joy that flying rev's gave me during that time and still give me, but above all it was this amazing community of people that gave me love and hope at a really crucial time in my recovery. All this is probably why i've not been so active on the forum!!!

Love to the family,

Martin

www.marti-thon2010.blogspot.com

Hi JB and everyone on the forum,

It's been ages since i posted but i continue to lurk on the forum from time to time and still fly my rev(s) whenever i get chance.

Some of you know my story, in 2008 i was diagnosed with cancer, Non-hodgkin Lymphoma, and whilst i craved being out in the fresh air and running and cycling, flying my rev was the thing that got me through 6 months of chemo. We're incredibly lucky to live by the beach and on days where i felt like i'd been given a gallon of weedkiller to drink, getting out and flying was the thing that cleared my head, and body, ready for the next onslaught of chemo. Plugging in to my ipod and flying for a couple of hours did wonders for my mental health during that time.

Now i'm in remission and training for my second triathlon having completed a half marathon, 140 mile charity bike ride, bungee jump and about to complete the 15 Snowdonia peaks above 3000 ft all for charity, but i will always value the joy that flying rev's gave me during that time and still give me, but above all it was this amazing community of people that gave me love and hope at a really crucial time in my recovery. All this is probably why i've not been so active on the forum!!!

Love to the family,

Martin

www.marti-thon2010.blogspot.com

Way to go!!! Kite flying is soooo soul - soothing! Coming back to kiting has re-invigorated me and given me another outlet for all the energy inside! :) It's good thing!!:blue-grin:

• 9 months later...

Wow, I know this is an old thread, but thought I would put my two penneth in.

I'm a registered UK Osteopath (bit different to a US osteopathic practitioner). As an Osteopath I see my patients as a 'unit of mind, body and spirit', each one effects the other in some way. Rev flying, and kite flying in general, I see as an excellent activity.

Physically you are moving continuously, something we don't really do in modern life, improving circulation and the efficiency of the immune system (as well as core strength). This in turn improves cerebral function, both through circulatory improvement and the splitting of the normal 'balance' mechanisms - your eyes are not always held on the horizon or kept level, leaving the sensory nerves in your joints to take the bulk of balance duties. The hormonal changes brought about by an increased level of physical activity improve your emotional state, as well as the inevitable distraction of keeping £200 of washing and sticks in the air.

I now have a couple of patients I am considering taking flying to help with their health. Incidentally, psoriatic arthritis and polymyalgia are two of the things I hope to help.

• Like 1

Hi all, I'm curious to hear back...

1. Has Rev flying been therapeutic to you, with regard to existing injuries or health issues?

2. Have you found Rev flying provides you with beneficial calasthenics or exercise?

Yes, and Yes!

Will be able to do this for my entire life unlike skiing (now forbidden). Add music and it's a dance workout :blue-music::blue-love:

YES!! For my Mental Being!!!, As Balloo said...Inner Peace!!!........And Plenty of it!!!.........Can't get enough of it!!!

Although!! Every little bit Help's!! And That Little bit Goes a Long way!!!

It is nice to hear that Rev Flying has Helped others with Injuries, and Difficult Health Issues!!!

Conner doran's story---for example, Is Awesome, and Motivational, to say the least!!!

My heart goes out to all who ,Must deal with these Obsticals in their live's.........

If ANY , Right Now ...............GET WELL SOON............and GET THE REV UP!!!!..........smile.gif

Joy will come with the Morning Sun!!!!.....and God Bless the WIND!!!blue_inlove.gif

Yes on all counts.

My dad's shoulders started giving him trouble as he got older. Unfortunately, I have his shoulders, so a number of years ago they started giving me trouble. Lynn and I usually fly together 10-20 hours a week. If the weather is bad, or for some some other reason we don't get to fly for a week or so, my shoulders begin to bother me.

I'm sure that I could start some exercise program to keep my shoulders out of pain, but the Rev flying does the trick, and is so much more fun.

And no, I have never mentioned it to my doctor as trying to make him understand about Rev (kite) flying would surely be a lost cause.

Yep, my shoulders aren't too good either and it helps a lot.

If my patient(s) take me up on the offer then I may post a small 'case study' here if they give permission. The one stumbling block I can see at the moment is the parkinsons, although they do both have jobs that require fine manual skill so I have my hopes.

Parkinsons shouldn't be too much of an issue, since I seem to recall it's more like an ongoing vibration, generally all to the same scale - as opposed to other, more seizure-like movements which are more representative of a jerk or yank on the lines.

...And no, I have never mentioned it to my doctor as trying to make him understand about Rev (kite) flying would surely be a lost cause.

You might be surprised.

My doctor has been very open to the oddities of my life in regards to my general health. We look for ways that suit me (and might look like weirdness to others) that I can use to maintain and improve my health.

Explain the physics (varying pull on the lines, independent motion of the arms, etc) and the emotional benefits, and then ask him whether he thinks it's worthwhile. My bet is that he will endorse it for you, and might even ask if you can demonstrate for someone else who needs an enjoyable exercise regimen that can be done by someone with limited mobility.

Parkinsons does give some appendages a 'wobble', this is due to the degeneration of an area of the brain to do with movement. Unfortunately, this also means the patient can have problems initiating movement. So, a sport requiring fast hand/eye coordination may not be well suited but I am hoping the fine manual skill they have has preserved some of the degenerated area. Plus they are in the earlier stages.

• 2 months later...

I find that flying my Revs, and sport kiting in general, to be very therapeutic. With a new emphasis on "flying my Revs" ;)

Physically, I find that it helps my shoulders, back, and neck loosen up. My job has me working at a computer most of the time, with the other time spent in semi-comfortable chairs for hours on end. At the end of the day, my posture suffers, and my upper half is brutally tense. After a little stretching, flying the Rev seems to relax everything! Less visits to the chiropractor for me.

I can feel my actions and reactions to the kite's posturing across my upper back, as if all the muscles are given just the right amount of exercise to halt their daily atrophy.

As my arms move around, my shoulders begin to loosen up as they help make micro-adjustments to my flying stance and the Rev's posturing.

Staring at a computer and typing takes its toll on my neck by the end of the day. While flying the Rev, I am always looking straight out or up. By the end of my session, I stand up straighter, with better posture that's easier to maintain when relaxed.

Mentally...... Its very relaxing.

I'm doing quite a bit of math all day long, and while its simple math, its usually in my head. Couple that with all the analyzing I do at work, and by the end of the day I feel like a freakin' robot. Flying kites allows my mind to reconnect with my body, and to leave all the numbers and mental notes behind for awhile.

Guess I'm a little sentimental after flying today :blushing: I sure do wish it was easier to share these sentiments with more people.

:ani_whistling: I'd like to teach the world to fly, in perfect harmony...

I'd like to buy the world a Rev, and have them fly with me :ani_whistling:

Ok, so my sentiment has gone a little overboard :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Aloha

From JB snapback.pngKitelife, on 18 March 2009 - 10:20 PM, said:

1. Has Rev flying been therapeutic to you, with regard to existing injuries or health issues?

2. Have you found Rev flying provides you with beneficial calasthenics or exercise?

Yes to both

Long story shortened.... had evulsion fractures of 5 transverse processors from a fall just over 10 years ago.

Most of what I could do was no more then. Back spasms, and pain were only part of the story.

3 years ago I saw the iQuad at Berkeley kite festival, I was hooked. What I saw it was a kite that each "V" of the kite was a separate wing that could be controlled by the handles, loading or unloading the wing. Nice Just watching the flying of a dual line kite, the pilots movements of his control lines had me wincing then.

Flying revs has helped by me being outside more, having a direction, focus and more joy in my life and my wifes also too.

Build up endurance and tolerance.

Flying the Super Sonic ( my favoarite ) has been a challenge at times with more pull generated especially at high speed stunts and manuvering

Recently with winds over 30mph+, I snapped all four up my lines and ripped out the knots on my leaders stopping the SS too quickly. Was good fun though.

Recently my spasms have returned big time. Hopefully for a short time.

Keeping focused on flying has been a life saver and sanity keeper.

Flying or the thoughts and memories of flying can be enough to dull the pain and keep on.

Most of all flying has gotten me pushing myself even harder to get better and stronger so I can fly more

Just watch a kid flying or some one remembering their youth flying days and the joy, celebration and smile are very addicting.

Steve