Rev flying

KiteLife

Not sure about exersise John. I am afraid I dont move around much, I know I should. If I have not been flying for a while I do feel it though so I must be getting some exersise.

What it gives me is inner peace if that is the right way to explain it.

At least now that I can keep the Rev in tha air most of the time. There wasnt much inner peace when I had to do the long walk every few moments.

Speaking for myself.. yes it is. Outdoors, if you are really into your music.. and indoors.. Well, Connor and I have been flying 3-4 days a week for the past 3 months. After 2 hours of solid indoor flying, we are both sweating.. so I know it's physically good for us. And it has improved my back pain.. which physical therapy did nothing for, a tens machine does a little for , and other meds have done NOTHING for.. so I guess my answer would be a definate yes.

It has also pushed me to get back into working out daily, because I am not in pain.. so it improved many aspects for me.

speaking of which.. my nordic track just stared me down.. it needs its daily outing lol.. darn it.

I think when you're first start learning it's quite exhausting and then calms down as you settle into a groove. However, I also think it's a sneaky form of exercise...before too long you realize that you've been on your feet an hour or two or more and then fatigue hits you.

Hi John-

As I mentioned in the mental health section of your questionairre ;):lol: , this thing called Rev flying has been a major blessing in my life and a huge change for me. I've found something I can physically handle. I love it, as you know, and it's my competitive nature that pushes me to learn more and become a better flyer. The only way to do that, of course, is to get out there. With flying at the beach, mostly, those walks in the sand are a key factor in my leg getting stronger. It's in no way a cure all, but anything that will get you moving and you can see physical changes is a good thing. I don't know of medical proof, but I am quite certain that the eye/hand coordination required to fly the Revs must stimulate the brain in many areas. As everyone knows, if you don't use it, you lose it and I'm sure it's helping our brains....in the long run!

For me it's both mentally and physically.

I sometimes try everything I can to stand still no matter what the wind is like and just can't do it. Dual line habit I don't seem to be able to break. Not that I wanna break the habit. I'm so into the tunes and kite that physically I almost seem to cease to exsist.

From indoors to the warp 9 winds in Long Beach I constantly move back and forth, side to side. After I'm done flying I can feel how much I've worked my knees and lower back. (For what ever reason my hands end up around my feet at times in low wind floating turns. Some may have seen that at the first RevGuild fun fly.)

Mentally it's a pretty good release. A couple of beers, music and my Rev and the whole world goes away for a while. After, my stress is reduced noticably no matter how bad the day has been.

I guess the answer to the question depends on the person and HOW into flying they are.

Dean

Yes

I started flying because of back surgery. Due to the pain I couldn't do my normal activities and I wasn't exercising the way I should therefore I wasn't getting much better. I lived a block from the beach so I figured I could "go fly a kite". Walking in the sand was a chore but I played with 2 line beach kite for about a week when I saw a guy flying a Rev. I had to get one. After that, I wasn't going out to exercise my back, I was on the beach flying until my back couldn't take it any more. Seven years later that pretty much sums up how I do it now. Living where I do I'm able to get out several times a week to fly although I rarely stay longer than an hour. When weather or other obligations keep me from flying I feel myself that getting sore all over feeling which goes away after a few days back in the air/sand. I just ordered another one so if I can figure out how to take these Rev$ off my income tax :devil: as a medical expense life will be extra good.

There's nothing like a supersonic in a good wind for a workout, excellent upper body & it will put your toes in the tips of your shoes trying to hold on. I use to fly supersonic & then 1.5 for cool down, now mostly 1.5 unless it's really crankin!

JOHN

Hello John, I think the answer to both would be yes, I suffered a serious sports injury to my leg which in turn caused a back problem, kite flying (not just Rev's) has helped with both, while researching back pain on the Internet there was an article by a Doctor about how kite flying helped with core stability which in turn help's with back problem's. Kite flying is one of those sneaky exercises a bit like Gardening, you do not realise you are exercising while you are doing something you enjoy, I am also sure that being outside in the fresh air and hopefully Sun can only be good for mind and body, certainly helps to take your mind of any problems you may have, it also brings enjoyment to those watching and that can't be a bad thing.

I think when you're first start learning it's quite exhausting and then calms down as you settle into a groove. However, I also think it's a sneaky form of exercise...before too long you realize that you've been on your feet an hour or two or more and then fatigue hits you.

Carolyn said it very well ...

The only change is that I seldom fly for just an hour ... and usually it's hunger that gets to me first.

Cheers,

Tom

The Jersey Crew generally has drinks, snacks and sandwiches (especially during the winter when not much is open). The fatigue thing doesn't seem to be a big factor, overall. When the adrenaline's kick'n, we're like the energizer bunny and we do just keep on keep'n on! That's probably why it's soooo good for us....easily five to six hours of flying... average each day we flew this winter (it will be longer as it warms up and is light later :) ). That has to be good for endurance and all of the other stuff.

The other day I was flying in Houston, Out all day in the beautful weather. got a little hungry so ended up practicing one handed flying eating pizza with the other hand. So pizza is good for you, it's a health food I'm sure. There had to be some fitness involved, well mentally it was the best day all winter.

supposed to be nice out tomorrow can't wait to fly, maybe I'll leave out the pizza B)

Yes

I started flying because of back surgery. Due to the pain I couldn't do my normal activities and I wasn't exercising the way I should therefore I wasn't getting much better. I lived a block from the beach so I figured I could "go fly a kite". Walking in the sand was a chore but I played with 2 line beach kite for about a week when I saw a guy flying a Rev. I had to get one. After that, I wasn't going out to exercise my back, I was on the beach flying until my back couldn't take it any more. Seven years later that pretty much sums up how I do it now. Living where I do I'm able to get out several times a week to fly although I rarely stay longer than an hour. When weather or other obligations keep me from flying I feel myself that getting sore all over feeling which goes away after a few days back in the air/sand. I just ordered another one so if I can figure out how to take these Rev$ off my income tax :devil: as a medical expense life will be extra good.

Holy cow.. let me know when you figure out how to do that..will ya???? I will be right behind you !

The Jersey Crew ....easily five to six hours of flying... average each day we flew this winter

Hey Laura, you lot must be really, really good by now ;) ;) :blue_wink:

Physical :-

1. flying kites, yup expends energy, gotta be good, it's also built up muscle tone and strength.

2. dreaming about kites when asleep also expends energy, gotta be great ;)

3. making kites, also surprisingly is good exercise, expends energy....it's not all sitting at a sewing machine !!

The only bad thing is my wallet has become skinny :blink:

I bought my first Rev whilst convalesing from a leg op that put me out of power kiting for a summer - It really helped with that - just enough gentle exercise to get me mending quickly. But ultimately the mental benefits far outweigh that - I can totally zone out form all of life's problems whilst I'm flying!

Ant

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm curious to hear back...

1. Has Rev flying been therapeutic to you, with regard to existing injuries or health issues?

2. Have you found Rev flying provides you with beneficial calasthenics or exercise?

I just noticed this thread, so had to reply, as I've mentioned it in my latest post HERE ...

In 2004 I was in an auto accident. I ended up with pretty serious spine and nerve injuries out of it. I have also been diagnosed with fibro myalgia and have some arthritis in my neck, elbows and shoulders. I was pretty much set on having to take huge amounts of pain meds (15mg of oxycodone 4x a day is pretty extensive.) and physical therapy for the rest of my life. I'm also a whiner. I hate just about everything and everyone...lol (I'm the non paid version of Lewis Black.) I spent almost all my time sitting in front of a computer, or laying in bed.

In July of 2008, my wife (my better 3/4) and I happened across the only kite shop in Alaska and I bought a prism Quantum dual line kite. I fought long and hard to learn how to get that thing in the air, let alone fly it, as the launching of a dual line kite is the one movement I just can't do without causing extreme pain.

During our search for new kites, my wife happened across a demo video for the rev. We were, understandably, quite in awe, and I made the decision to nab one of those weird kites, which we did in September.

I have been sitting out with my now various 1.5 revs since then. Just about every day...just about all day. Rain or shine, 70 degrees or -35 degrees. I am now the president of AlasKiters, (the state kite club) and have gotten pretty decent with the rev, though we're limited on people coming to our events from outside the state, so I think I've gotten as far as I'm going to get as far as tricking goes. We have been the reason that many people up here have bought revs. The store has a couple, but none of the people there really fly them much. We are now begining to start a rev team, even if we only have a few people anywhere near as obsessed with them as I am.

At the time we got our first revs, I was going to phyiscal therapy 3 times a week and weighed 352 pounds, along with the pain meds...

I no longer need the physical therapy, because flying the revs is pretty much the exact same movements. I weigh, today, 246 pounds, and I have cut my pain meds in half.

I know this might sound sappy, or even tacky to some, but to me, the revs have saved my life. My better 3/4 complains that I stay out flying too much, and I complain that she doesn't come out enough, but overall it has been a good thing.

The only thing missing is a TENS unit powered by my rev... :P

--TaK

Edited by SynTaks
  • Like 1