Need ideas and thoughts

pitviper51

Question

Hi,

Well i made the jump and was able to find a used 1.5 vented here on the forum ( thanks you know who you are :) .). knowing what i do at this point about revs (little..) would it be safe to say if i got the normal 90x 90# lines and a set of 50x50s i would have a large wind range with that rig, it is going to have a 3wrap frame. I am also considering getting a 1.5 SUL to run on those 50x50s as well for even lighter conditions, does this make sence?? thoughts welcome. yep i have been bitten and dont even have a rev yet..

mike

If you're going to get TWO sets of lines, I'd go for 120 ft. lines so you're prepared when you eventually fly team with other people (120 is the standard length when you're flying team because you get more sky), and then anything from 50 to 90 ft. as your second set of lines. My personal favorite is 25 ft. lines though because they set up really quickly, however you need to respond quicker to things as well so it might not be good for somebody just starting with a rev.

thanks, for flying at the rc field 120s would be great, but for back yard flying i use 100s on my power kite and that still has me standing in the nieghbors yard, much longer and itll be interesting. i was actully thinking 85ft for my normal line for the back yard so i am closer to the kite.. then again i could rig up a few bike hubs as pullys and try that flying in front of my face stuff ( looks so cool!) well im off to hopfully fly a sle 1.5 that a friend has :mf_party:

mike

ps should have more questions when i get back.

Mike,

As Angie says, you'll likely need 120 foot lines for team flying. But, they also have the advantage of giving you a larger wind window and slowing the kite down ... both characteristics are an advantage for learning to fly. Think of a large trainer plane.

Different areas of the country seem to settle on a second, shorter length for small field/team flying. IKE uses 80 foot lines ... Kite Party used 75 foot lines ... Shanti prebuild lines seem to come in 85 foot lengths. Consider 75 to 85 foot for your second set of lines. This length of line set makes the wind window smaller and makes the kite react a little faster. Think of your second or third RC plane ... low winged, tail dragger, 52 inch wing span ... it demands more attention.

Your third set of lines should be in the 35 to 50 foot range. With a reasonable wind, things happen quickly. Think of your low winged, overpowered, unlimited vertical performance plane. You have to pay attention to stay ahead of the kite. The weight and drag savings going to 50# lines is minimal ... buy bulk line in 90# and make your own line sets. I like the 50 foot length, but a 1000 foot of Shanti will yield a 120 foot set, an 80 foot set, and the final one a little short of 50 foot.

Having these three line sets will turn a single kite into three ... that's the cheapest way to expand your kite bag.

Again, these are simply my opinions ... other's will vary!

Cheers,

Tom

Oh, another point I just though of.

The weight of lines actually makes the kite fly different.

To quote JB, if you go up to 150lb lines it is like going up a rod wrap if that makes sense. Heavier lines slow the kite down a bit.

So if you fly on equal length 50lb after getting used to 90 lb it will liven the kite up.

hope that makes sense, now I have read it back not sure that it does??

hope that makes sense, now I have read it back not sure that it does??

Bear,

The funny thiing with 50# line sets is that it doesn't take much for a newbie to get in trouble ... about 30# of pull will, in theory, break the lines. So, I'd rather see someone learn with 90# line sets.

Once you become really proficient, you can effectively fly with clothsline ... you don't need the 50# lines. I'm constantly amazed when I see Mike Kory flying in low winds with the wrong equipment. I can't get my race rod equipped SUL off the ground and he's flying a standard sail with three wraps and 120 foot 90# lines. Even JB will tell you it's not the equipment as much as the skill set ... that's what he told me early on when I was fussing about equipment.

So, for most flying, 50# line sets are not really needed. Indoors and very short line, low wind outdoor flying would seem to be the best opportunities for 50# lines.

Cheers,

Tom

I know there will be a lot of people who will disagree with me on this, but if I were you I would just go for the 90 x90 for now. You can only fly one kite at a time so you only need one set of lines. 80 or 90ft is a good length to start out with, go much shorter and the kite will be way too frisky for a newbie.

As for 120’s, that extra large window doesn’t come without cost. If you go too long with the lines you start to introduce inertia into the control and reduce the feed-back you get from the kite.

If you want to fly team you will need 120’s but before you can fly team you need to learn to fly the kite. Also you have to remember that every foot you add to your lines adds two foot (one there and one back) to the walk of shame. Learn to fly your kite and get to know her then start thinking about 120’s and team flying.

thanks alot folks, i am used to the forum atmosphere as far as many opinions go, on my other sites im one of those 6000 post guys hahah. unfortuneatly i didnt get to fly tonight the wind went to zip when i got there and he didnt have the rev ready due to work schedule, but i think i have it narrowed down and im going to get a 90# set at 90 ft and 50ft,, this is a world of change since i am used to flying 350# lines haha

mike

In addition, try to find other fliers to fly with. It speeds up the learning curve.

I don't know where in Kentucky you live, but try to make the kite festival formerly known as Airwaves.

It's now called "Otto M. Budig Kite Fest" and it's just north of Cincinnati on April 4-5. A google search will turn up details.

There will be plenty of Rev fliers there you can learn from.

Lynn and I each carry a set of 75', 100', and 120', all sets are 90# Laser Pro.

75' for when space is limited, 100' for everyday use flying together, and 120' for team flying.

At Kite party we did have 11 fliers in the mega fly on 75' lines, but that gets a little crowded. :huh:

Neither of us are excited about flying in real light wind or indoors, so shorter lines or 50# are not for us.

As far as kites, you will probably end up with an SUL, a standard full sail and a vented. You can get by many times by putting a two wrap frame in your standard sail Rev in light wind. We did that for years before getting our SULs.

In very heavy wind, you can add a two wrap leading edge to the three wrap in your vented kite. This configuration flies very well.

Like Mike says, one of the best things you can do is seek out other Rev fliers. You will learn a lot, and besides, flying with others is just way too much fun.

Bear,

The funny thiing with 50# line sets is that it doesn't take much for a newbie to get in trouble ... about 30# of pull will, in theory, break the lines. So, I'd rather see someone learn with 90# line sets.

Once you become really proficient, you can effectively fly with clothsline ... you don't need the 50# lines. I'm constantly amazed when I see Mike Kory flying in low winds with the wrong equipment. I can't get my race rod equipped SUL off the ground and he's flying a standard sail with three wraps and 120 foot 90# lines. Even JB will tell you it's not the equipment as much as the skill set ... that's what he told me early on when I was fussing about equipment.

So, for most flying, 50# line sets are not really needed. Indoors and very short line, low wind outdoor flying would seem to be the best opportunities for 50# lines.

Cheers,

Tom

Sorry Tom (et al), and I do realise an apology is not needed as it added to the discussion anyway, I was'nt trying to suggest that Mike got a 50lb set. I was trying to point out that both the length and weight of lines makes a difference. I personaly would not dream of flying on 50lb lines. I am still a novice. Most of my flying is on 80ft 90ld Laser Pro. If I fancy more exersise (walking) I go for 120's I do have lines all the way up from 30 to 120 though, just to suit my mood. Those 30's realy make you think a couple of mooves ahead of yourself. :lol:

While I agree that there are down sides to 50lbs line, don't discount them. They are stronger than you think and with care and treatment (sewers aid) can be used for team. And they don't half reduce the drag. Tiger woods could beat me at golf with an old piece of hose. So you are right that skill is the key ingredient. But when he is on the PGA circuit I have heard that Tiger uses the very best, top of the range, only just within the rules golf bats. So maybe equipment has a role too ;)

While I agree that there are down sides to 50lbs line, don't discount them. They are stronger than you think and with care and treatment (sewers aid) can be used for team. And they don't half reduce the drag. Tiger woods could beat me at golf with an old piece of hose. So you are right that skill is the key ingredient. But when he is on the PGA circuit I have heard that Tiger uses the very best, top of the range, only just within the rules golf bats. So maybe equipment has a role too ;)

It's often said that "a good workman never blames his tools" but that's because a good workman understands the importance of choosing the right equipment and taking care of it.

It's often said that "a good workman never blames his tools" but that's because a good workman understands the importance of choosing the right equipment and taking care of it.

Bob,

Previous post: Absolutely no need to apologize for having a difference of opinion that you defend intelligently.

The above post, however, I can't let slip by ... the implication is that good workmen choose the very best, up to date tools in order to achieve fine craftsmanship. Thus, a Rev flyer should have the latest stuff ... and, anything else labels you as a newbie. (I'm sure you're amazed that you stuffed so much between the lines.) Let's see, that would mean a Bazzer Pro, with the new secret tapered race rods and Pro handles ... probably won't even need lines with that set up.

I'm wondering where the old time furniture crafsmen kept their power tools. The Queen surely still has a piece or two that were made with the simplist of hand tools. And, as to Tiger Woods, the endorsement chase is too valuable for him to play with anything less than the stuff the common man lusts over. Maybe he uses the latest for the mental edge ... kind of the placebo effect.

The point I'm trying to make is that most of us would do well with the tried and true, middle of the road stuff ... and, lot's of practice to improve our skills. The newer, trendier, edgier stuff is fun to dream about and maybe purchase if you're able, but the majority of the fun is still contained in the mundane common implements. And, in the hands of a true craftsman, that mundane stuff can produce excellent

results.

Now, where does this soap box go?

Cheeers,

Tom

Tom

I think you have read something into my post that simply wasn’t there and I certainly make no apology for any opinions I hold. I wrote of “choosing the right equipment” I made no mention of “the very best, up to date tools”.

Take a look at my avatar my favourite kite, a four year old 1.5sul its one of a matched set of pre B Series 1.5s. I never felt the urge to rush out and replace them when the B Series was launched and good job too as what was once celebrated as “the best thing since sliced bread” has now apparently been reclassified as “Armature” by many since the launch of the B Series Pro.

I am very proud of my old girls, top notch all of them.

The above post, however, I can't let slip by ... (cut). Thus, a Rev flyer should have the latest stuff ... and, anything else labels you as a newbie.
Yep you seem on the money there Tom. I would say that unless you have the very latest masterpiece, let alone making do with old fashioned two tones, you must be noob ;) ;)

Tom

I think you have read something into my post that simply wasn’t there ... I wrote of “choosing the right equipment” I made no mention of “the very best, up to date tools”.

Bob,

I think you and I are arguing strongly from the same side of the fence ... we agree!!!

The rub is that many folks, new to the sport, don't have your experience. They want to buy one kite set up that does it all. And, they go off in search of the holy grail of kitedom. They need more folks like yourself who make it very clear (remember that we're separated by a common language) that the old tried and true, with lots of practice, is ultimately better than chasing the bleeding edge of technology. I noticed in his collection that Papa Smurf doesn't own a single B-series ... and yet, he flys when the rest of us are grounded. Hmmm, what's with that?

Please take no offense with my posts ... I have nothing but respect for your opinions.

Cheers,

Tom

Don't worry Bob. Next time we have a club fly, we'll take anything newer than a year out of Jeepster's bag and divide it among the rest of us...

Do that and I'll be flying my undies ...

Well, actually I do have a twenty year old delta ... but, yep, nothing else that's older than nine months. And, you know what, none of my latest and greatest stuff overcomes my lack of skill. I'll still buy it, 'cuz I like the way it looks ... the black centers and clipless handles look really sexy ... but, I'll not fool myself into thinking it'll make me a better flyer. Well, maybe the clipless handles will ...

Besides Jeff, how can I expect our British friends to treat me with respect tolerance when my own club mates are so abusive?

Tom