How long should it take

Mikey

bit embarresed but iv been learning on an EXP for about 3-4 hrs now and can still hardly keep it off the ground - either im doing somthing realy wrong or i just plain suck - the other explanation is that i havnt been trying for long enough

how long did other ppl take to pick it up?

ps: very happy for general tips on learning

Hi Mikey,

To be honest learning to fly the rev really does vary from person to person and also depends on the conditions you try in and what you are learning from (experienced flyer vs video).

If you have any experienced flyers in your area, they are the best bet to learn from, as there is no substitute for someone actually telling you why something is happening and how to correct it.  If you don't have that luxury, I would say watch the rev video and then each time you go out just try to work on one aspect at a time.

Also, look for a nice steady wind, probably in the 6 - 10 mph range to do your first flies.  This makes control so much easier.

I hope that helps to get you started, but if you have any questions fire them back, as this forum is great for getting info.

Good luck

Mark.

ok thanks for the tips dude - will look out of that wind range

and then the next call is:

Are there any experienced flyers in surrey who fly at epsom downs? - i have seen 1 flyer but i dont know wether he is on this forum

ok, well thanks again for the tips and thank you for any replies :)

Hi there, there are some ex European Champions not too far from you!  The challenge is finding them on the field at the same time as you.  Epsom is not as popular as it once was but you should find someone there to help.

I am a bit further north in Bedfordshire.  Try contacting STACK UK who run coaching days and also provide liability insurance as part of the membership fees or try the forum Fractured Axle.  This is a UK forum about kites in general and there is bound to be someone local to you on that form.

the links are  

http://www.fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/

and

http://www.netspaces.com/stack/index.html

Good luck with that and if you need any more local help send me a private message and we can chat.

Hi Mickey

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner but it’s taken me a while to sort out a registration so I could post.

I don’t claim to be an expert flyer, far from it, but as I was where you are now 18 months ago, so I have an idea what you are going through now.  I have seen you have taken Stephen Hoath’s advice and registered on FA, but as you hadn’t posted your question there I have PM’ed you through FA with some tips.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mikey

I don't claim to be an expert flyer by any matter of means, however I have had to learn by myself, without any help, other than the training and advanced Revolution video and with help from the guys here on the forum.

Before I even started flying, I had watched the videos over and over and over.

When I set up my kite and lines for the 1st. time, I noticed my lines were not all the same length. (This could be worth checking out)

I had little problem with my 1st, Flight as I knew everything was set up right from the get go.

That been said, the learning curve on Rev kites will vary from person to person, but with some perserverance and practice, you WILL get it and soon be buring up the sky in a fully controlled manner :)

Practice makes Perfect! ;)

If you get frustrated, give it a break and watch a couple of I QUAD videos, that will give you inspiration to perservere. (That's what I did and still do :))

Also picking the optimal wind condition for learning is also very important. I found around 8 - 10 mph steady winds to be perfect for learning.

Keep at it and soon we will see pics and videos of you with your many Rev kites ;) (Been there! ...Doing That! ;)

Rev Kites & the Family ROCK!

Not much good myself Mikey.

My biggest frustration is getting the right wind when I am able to use it.

I am at the stage wher I can make it take off and land. Either way up. Backwards and forwards ir reasonable. Spins no problem.

Holding it in a stable hover is a big problem. Any of the "tricks" are still out.

However I enjoy myself which is OK by me.

• 1 month later...

The biggest help for me is flying with others, shoulder to shoulder, following and interacting. The more the merrier and it improves your timing and skills in general. It gives you a sort of reference point. Try to hone those fine control skills too when you take a break from zooming all over the sky!

No one else to fly with here. Would be great to be able tolearn in "real time" was good to meet John who helped but the winds were a bit high. Could do with living next door to him!!

Just need some wind, in the doldrums at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

My 1st purchase of the Revolution was a Super Blast because I am a power addict flier, flying NPW9, Flexifoil Blade 3 4.9, Bullet 3.5 with buggy.

Took me a while to get used to flying the Super Blast, with the video, it helped a lot and as what Stryker said, practice makes perfect. I kept practising until I can control the Blast.

Later, bought my 2nd Rev, a 1.5SLE which happen to be all time favourite, enjoyed every minute of it when flying at 8 to 15mph.

Now I can hover the 1.5SLE upside down with ease, from left to right and vice versa. Even flying forward and backward is easy.

Just love the dive stop, awesome !!!

With friends flying together and sharing, the urge to learn is even more.

Later, bought another 1.5SLE to stack and now my Barresi will be arriving this week, can't wait to fly it.

Practice, practice and more practice, in no time, you will be as good as the iQuad team.

Revolution Rocks !!!

chris

Me flying the Super Blast in December 2006 while on holiday with my family to UK visiting my brother in Cambridge.

It was quite difficult to fly the Super Blast in gutsy cold winds, after half an hour of flying, my hands were so tired, no joke !!!

Overall, I needed the exercise as well.

Revolution kites ROCKS !!!

post-727-1178036073_thumb.jpg

post-727-1178036102_thumb.jpg

post-727-1178036120_thumb.jpg

post-727-1178036140_thumb.jpg