New advanced Rev tutorial video... Soliciting ideas!

KiteLife

Hi guys,

Just got off the phone with Lolly at Revolution, and we're both agreed that it's high time Revolution released another, more up to date advanced flying video for Revolution Kites... With this in mind, I'd like ya'll to give me ideas on some of the things you'd like to learn from such a video.

The list so far...

Equipment:

• Line length adjustment

• Handle lengths

• Handle adjustments

• Using different rods and sails

• Introduction to spar types, and interchanging them

• Tensioning the kite (bungees)

Flying techniques:

• Clockwork turns

• Inverted hover

• Side slides (inverted and upright)

• Reverse flight

• Light/zero wind flying

• High wind flying

Exotic styles:

• Flic flacs & axels

• 3D flying (toss, catch)

• Dogstaking

• One handed flying

Please, be specific about what you want to see... Single-topic items, that I can work on, one at a time.

I'm guessing, if all goes well, we'd be releasing this video later in the year or at the 2008 KTAI trade show.

Production of the video will take some time (filming, editing, etc)... I could really use your help here, so post your ideas! ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you should put in a small segment that shows team flying.

I also think you should show how to stack revs and how they fly.  

If it is an advanced video, you should explain the differences in the spars (rev equip - professional - ultra light etc...) and how to interchange them for different wind conditions.

I also think it would be good to show the different types of rev's - vented vs. standard vs. sul - speed series & possible tricks vs. rev 1/1.5.  Power series (2-4 & 4-8) vs. standard sizes.

Ok, I just thought of another.  You should show some basic repair - changing bungee's, proper tension, adjusting lines, adding knots to handles for personal adjustments in flying.....

Just my two cents...well, with inflation I guess it would be about a buck worth.

All great suggestions, thank you!

Two things I won't be doing however, is the stacking and power/speed series facets... Not my specialty, not my interest, to be frank... Sorry. ;)

I'll be focusing on flight aspects of the 1.5 (STD, Vent and SUL) and a brief touch on the differences between them and the Revolution I, as well as good coverage on the different handles and spars (along with my theories on them)... Also, I would include team stuff, precision and the tricks I know (flic flac + axel).

Still, I welcome further suggestions in these realms... Just developing a specific bullet-point list of topics will help me a great deal.

John there is a trick in Europe that my team call an under axle.  

If the kite was facing left at centre window 10% up, aggresively pull the left hand whilst pushing your left thumb forward.  

The kite rotates very quickly (like an axle) and ends up - if you've got it right - landed leading edge facing up.

If you fly the same move higher in the window alternating the hands initiating the move you get a downward cascade like move.

I hope this helps?  What do you call this move?

simple modifications to be considered?

no bridle

different bridle (less slop = better low wind performance)

addition of training wheels/magix stiks

moveable weights system

advantages of a heavy stiff leading edge

advantages of a flexible, light weight leading edge

These are questions I'm asked frequently, ....

How to confirm lines are equal lengths

How to determine how much "REVERSE' to add in your handle tuning

How do you practice for one-handed flight

When should I use short handles vs long

the use of sleeving discussion

Did you know that Guido Maiocchi from Milano Italy has been working on such a video over the last several years.

Guido is probably the best quad line pilot in the world, already winning the European Cup, 5 times in the last 8 years.

It is a bi-lingual video using both English and Italian.

I have been involved in the work of this video by reworking almost if not all of the English text.

I know that this video is at least 85% completed.

I am also aware that they need some financial assistance to perform the final editing and release of this video. Guido had mentioned to me that he would contact Lollie concerning this.

I would suggest going in contact with Guido and save reinventing the wheel again.

John there is a trick in Europe that my team call an under axle.  

I hope this helps?  What do you call this move?

I've played the with L-R alternating (cascade) version of this... Never had a name for it, except the cascade when done L-R-L-R.

Did you know that Guido Maiocchi from Milano Italy has been working on such a video over the last several years.  Guido is probably the best quad line pilot in the world, already winning the European Cup, 5 times in the last 8 years.

I did not know... I'd love to fly with him sometime, see how our skills compare... I don't have a chance to fly with the side of the world very much, in the last few years I've only flown against Scott Weider, Lam Hoac, Ron Despojado, Carl Robertshaw, Shawn Tinkham and Zach Gordon, to name a few of the more well-known fliers.

I know that this video is at least 85% completed.

Guido had mentioned to me that he would contact Lollie concerning this.

I've forwarded the info to Lolly... Obviously I have a self-interest in producing a video of my own design, but won't cut off a nose to spite a face here. ;)

In many ways you have a very similar flying style to Guido.

Guido does use long handles, which he adopted from me years ago. This along with his slightly larger REV 1.5 and stand-offs on the back make for fantastic tricks which I only know from one other person and that is Paolo Ceresa also from Italy.

Your and Guido's ages are also about the same.

If you can get to Cervia, Italy for the competition around 1 May, you will surely meet Guido.

How about a combo video with and done by both John Barresi and Guido Maiocchi?

I've always focused on flight control, and have just now started to really play around with axels and flic flacs this year... Getting multiple flat axels of 6-8 rotations, 1/4 turn flic flacs... All on the 13" handles, using 2 or 4 gram weights in each of the bottom tips.

I'm working on a modification which may eliminate the lower wing wraps coming out of flic flacs... Will keep ya'll posted after I put it through some heavy testing this weekend.

Also, I'm playing with doing a single insane (like the dual line trick, the insane) on my Rev 1.5, where the kite is put in a fade, then it does a single spin while dropping a few feet, then snaps back out into flight position, facing up.

I'm working on a modification which may eliminate the lower wing wraps coming out of flic flacs... Will keep ya'll posted after I put it through some heavy testing this weekend.

I played around with this some years ago by eleminating the knots on the bungees or hiding them. I tried:

- sewing the ends of the bungee to the back of the sail.

- knotting the bungee ends together and putting the down spar over the knot.

- sewing a triangular piece of material over the whole knot section.

- and there were some others which I don't remember at this time

Guido does not have this problem, but I am not sure how he solved it. I suspect the standoffs on the back of the sail is keeping it rigid enough that the lines don't have a chance to wrap around the tips.

His flik/flaks are perfect every time.

The mod I'm trying involves stiffening the lower leg with a straw, from end cap to first knot... It resembles a swing arm.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, I'm curious about Guido... Is he using Rev branded equipment, or homemade kites? This would have a lot to do with whether or not his footage is of use in a Revolution branded video.

The mod I'm trying involves stiffening the lower leg with a straw, from end cap to first knot... It resembles a swing arm.

I'll let you know how it goes.

That is an interesting approach to it!

Also, I'm curious about Guido... Is he using Rev branded equipment, or homemade kites? This would have a lot to do with whether or not his footage is of use in a Revolution branded video.

I have seen him with both.

In competition Guido usually flies with his own sails, using original Revolution spars which are 82cm long versus 79cm that the REV 1.5 has. His sails are slightly larger.

I have not seen any of the video parts, so I don't know whether Guido flies originals, copies or both.

You would have to ask Guido. Guido knows of this forum, however I am not aware of him making any postings yet.

Very little ever seems to get shown or mentioned on the actual fliers movement when flying the Rev.

You could possibly include that as something original (unless it aint) -

Step back when going up, move forward when flying down etc etc...

In fact i'm still not sure myself which is the best way to move in every circumstance  :?

ps, hi  :D

Has anyone mentioned maybe including some of the more difficult STACK figures?

And maybe some tips on flying in these choppy midwest winds! :wink:

I like the idea of slack line tricks with a rev, I was just excited to do flic flacs, I am now struggling through axels. Can do them once in a while, but not consistently...yet!

Good idea, I hadn't thought of it... I can include a half dozen or so of the compulsories, from easy to difficult.

As for slack line... I've been able to do the axel, a 720, flic flac, falling leaf and a lazy susan. ;)

I'll be sure to include all of these.

John, it just occured to me that very little is ever said about care of the kite.  Whilst we all have our own little ways :oops:   there are deffinately ways of prolonging the life of your kite.  

Not leaving in the sun all day.

washing off salt water after use.

check the bungees for wear every now and then.

Rotate the spar positions every now and then.

Keeping a few spares in the bag

dry the kite before putting it away for any extended period

etc and so forth

Does anyone else do anything extra

Maybe rev should market a "spares kit"

A branded hand towel etc.  think of the marketing opportunities!

Has anyone mentioned maybe including some of the more difficult STACK figures?

Actually, they aren't the STACK figures.

They are the IRBC figures or more correctly the ISK Compulsories. AJSKA, AKA and STACK worked together to create these compulsories through their combined committee, the IRBC.