Quad sticks

nckiter

I have been kind of afraid to try this because I can just see the vertical spar separating from the spreader and having the spreader go thru the sail. :o

I just ordered a new 1.5 yesterday so perhaps I will get the courage to try it now with the old one. It may be awhile but when I do, It will be fun to have them both set up and do some back and forth to compare.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Family I need your help, as you know my good friends Sherri and Steve P. have sent me a set of sticks and a video of how to make them and what I need to know from all of you out there if I go thru of all the tooling to make the parts for this and get them out there is there a market? I will say that I personally think they have there place even if I don't use them but can we warrant having them made, <_< hmmmm if only I could see into the future. We are a business so as always I have to look at the big picture, so Family let me have your thoughts on this matter. Also the new Rev T-shirts are being printed as we speak and your going to love them, so remember the only solution is a Revolution........... B) Ben

I think there is a market for this addition, but I'm only one voice Ben. Many of us on the right coast use them and if they were available commercially I wouldn't have to do it myself for those who want them and have tried out my own kites! I've done dozens of installations, usually on my own nickel too. I often have to give 'em a replacement/custom bridle also, (built closer to the frame for more responsiveness, with a tinier hinge where the two pieces join)

As far as John's question about framing lighter with sticks on the back,

I live inland, so we either get the swirling gusts or no wind at all. The "training wheels" allow a 2 wrap frame in the leading edge and down spars (I prefer Skyshark tapered tubes personally, they're lighter & cheaper), but the kite can withstand a big blow long enough to fly high or move off of center whilst still giving good performance in a dead calm. I enjoy being able to fly while most everyone else watches & complains about the location or conditions. When the District of Columbia gets a steady 5 mile per hour breeze they close the schools for week! Honestly six months out of the year we fly indoors with nature sunlight and unlimited ceilings.

The kite is a lot tighter w/sticks, the sail can't move on the frame as easily, it's just a clean tight sail in a rigid structure. Any stress that is encountered is distributed over a greater surface area. Personally, I don't fly smooth precision generally anyway, I use long throw handles with severe inputs on short lines. You don't want to stand to close to me for fear of accidental impact. I fly aggressively using sharp movements and plenty of them. Flicking it around, dumping the air, jerking it out of the sky, bouncing it off of surfaces like roads, signs, goal posts, sidewalks.

Do you need these structures?

NO, probably not, but you may find them very pleasurable. The worst case senario is, you can remove them with very little wasted investment. Imagine you go to the beach and the wind is howling so hard your pant legs are flappin' madly and the sand/dust being raised obsures your vision below waist high. 35-40 mphs steady + gusts. You put in the SLE tubes, and maybe a set of 3 or 4 wrap down tubes. Your kite is going to handle this abuse and you can fly even everyone else watches. You can even give lessons confidently! The kite is going to crash hard and leading edge down, but the most damage I've ever seen inflicted is the bungies tearing thru the reinforcement patches on the tips of the down spars. That's okay, no frame replacement parts or damaged sail that can't be fixed in an hour with some 3M 9460 Adhesive. Maybe you replace the stretched-out elastics, add a bigger carbon fibre washer behind the knots, or punch new holes. Nothing is torn though, most likely the bungies just passed thru the hole and can be reaffixed right there on the field.

I love teaching quads better than anything else kite related, so these magix stick structures are beneficial to both me and the student. I don't teach the way I fly myself either,.... I want 'em to experience a nice relaxed feeling of control, find your own neutral comfort setting, let the kite do all the work, and for God's sake don't you worry about any damage either! Revs are almost impossible to break over grass or at the beach. Little else is as rewarding as folks telling our membership that they have to join us (WOW Kite Club) and get a Revolution for themselves.

One area of concern is whether to epoxy the stand-off endcaps in place, to prevent loosing the sticks when packin'-up. I prefer to wrap up all the sticks separated from the truss system/sail, then roll it up and hold it closed with a strip of velcro. This way there little chance of a tangled mess next time I set-up. Others glue 'em in place (on the caps) and roll everything together, worrying about untangling later.

About half of my quads are sporting these sticks, the half I use most of the time it seems. On a stack I don't use them because flying a stack isn't about slack lines or aggressive techniques. They'd cause more trouble (tangles) then benefits.

Okay Family I need your help, as you know my good friends Sherri and Steve P. have sent me a set of sticks and a video of how to make them and what I need to know from all of you out there if I go thru of all the tooling to make the parts for this and get them out there is there a market? I will say that I personally think they have there place even if I don't use them but can we warrant having them made, <_< hmmmm if only I could see into the future. We are a business so as always I have to look at the big picture, so Family let me have your thoughts on this matter. Also the new Rev T-shirts are being printed as we speak and your going to love them, so remember the only solution is a Revolution........... B) Ben

I think I would eventually buy a set of sticks. But it will be after I have established a good collection. :)

Ben, I think there's a market. As always, the cost would have to be known. I think the market is relatively small though, compared to the number of Revs that are sold.

Jim

Ben, I will call you.

Hi Ben!

I get requests for these sticks once in a while. So while Scotty Weider was here at The Shoppe a couple weeks ago, he helped list all the parts and components and measurements for me that he uses when he makes a set of sticks for his Revs. You should give him a call. :)

Looking forward to seeing you soon! We have Open House at The Shoppe Friday night @ 6pm to whenever.....so hoping you get an early flight on Friday! I have room at the house for you too! :)

Talk to you soon!

T

ben ill say it again..its a great idea and if you do make them im in for a set but if you do make them will the be just the sticks them selves?? or the tension lines too?? a whole set would be great (sticks tension lines and connectors) but the only down side here is that the current kites rev makes being able to take the quad sticks without renforcement to the sails to accomidate the quad stick set

ben ill say it again..its a great idea and if you do make them im in for a set but if you do make them will the be just the sticks them selves?? or the tension lines too?? a whole set would be great (sticks tension lines and connectors) but the only down side here is that the current kites rev makes being able to take the quad sticks without renforcement to the sails to accomidate the quad stick set

Take a look at the way the 5 time European Quadline Champion, Guido Maiocchi does it. He uses this at all competitions.

There is no modification to the actual REV sail.

I would say that a kit would need at least these parts:

- two standoffs

- two end pieces for the tension lines

- two T connectors for the down spars

- tension line set

- instructions for installation

I'll try to buy some eventually, but I'm gonna be flat out of money here in a bit. I'm buying a new 1.5 sail and some headphones (My MP3 player with my headphones went through the washing machine. My MP3 player still works(and now it's squeeky clean), but my headphones don't)

I'll try to buy some eventually, but I'm gonna be flat out of money here in a bit. I'm buying a new 1.5 sail and some headphones (My MP3 player with my headphones went through the washing machine. My MP3 player still works(and now it's squeeky clean), but my headphones don't)

i Pod ? :rolleyes::rolleyes: