Stolen Kites

sirrom

They are all Home :P:P:P:P

Monday I went to the police department and they brought out MY Kite Bag. I really was not sure if it was going to be mine, but there it was. I went through the bag and could tell someone had been through it, but looked like everything was there. Today I took all the kites out for a wash job and made sure there were no broken parts.

The police said it was the photo of the kite bag that really helped. The description was OK, but the photo did the trick. The morning of the theft my wife pulled up a photo from an Internet kite shop of my bag and printed it for the officer. It does pay to have photos of all your stuff. They did arrest a 22 & 23 year old for 4 counts of theft and unlawful entry of a motor vehicle. One was also charged with meth possession and parole violation. Both have bail set at $10,00 & $14,000. They live a couple miles away and were probably going house to house looking for whatever they could find.

Anyway thanks for all your support and hope to see you sometime on the beach. I'll be in Lincoln City for their indoor kite festival in a couple of weeks. Thanks again Amy for everything!

Great news.......

Everyone should thank the Medford Police Department. Let them know how the "kite community" spread the word to support Brett, and how nice it is that they followed through and got the kites returned. Not many outside our "family" understand this kind of loss, and what it means to get these kites back.

You can thank them here: http://www.ci.medford.or.us/FormPage.asp?FormID=24

Hi Brett,

Congratulations !!! Glad you got back all your kites esp the favourites and the Police Dept who recognised the kite bag, not forgetting your wife did a great job of printing out the picture for the police, plus all the kiter friends praying for the safe return of your kites intact.

Anyway, all end well. Also a lesson from here, please do not keep all your kites in your car, maybe 1 or 2 just in case you want to go kite flying.

As a precautionary measure, please do keep an inventory list of all your kites incl pictures, just in case when something happen again to us which we hope not.

I had one bad experience myself, lost my Prsim Stylus foil to a car thief, which I now seldom keep my kites in the car.

Again, I am very happy for you, Brett, remember kiter friends, Prevention is Better than Cure !!!

Cheers

chris tan

They are all Home :P:P:P:P

Monday I went to the police department and they brought out MY Kite Bag. I really was not sure if it was going to be mine, but there it was. I went through the bag and could tell someone had been through it, but looked like everything was there. Today I took all the kites out for a wash job and made sure there were no broken parts.

The police said it was the photo of the kite bag that really helped. The description was OK, but the photo did the trick. The morning of the theft my wife pulled up a photo from an Internet kite shop of my bag and printed it for the officer. It does pay to have photos of all your stuff. They did arrest a 22 & 23 year old for 4 counts of theft and unlawful entry of a motor vehicle. One was also charged with meth possession and parole violation. Both have bail set at $10,00 & $14,000. They live a couple miles away and were probably going house to house looking for whatever they could find.

Anyway thanks for all your support and hope to see you sometime on the beach. I'll be in Lincoln City for their indoor kite festival in a couple of weeks. Thanks again Amy for everything!

Great news.......

Everyone should thank the Medford Police Department. Let them know how the "kite community" spread the word to support Brett, and how nice it is that they followed through and got the kites returned. Not many outside our "family" understand this kind of loss, and what it means to get these kites back.

You can thank them here: http://www.ci.medford.or.us/FormPage.asp?FormID=24

I am just so thrilled to hear this Brett.. and you know.. give your wife a huge hug from all of us.. she is a great lady. I cannot wait to meet you both!

Jim and Lynn wrote to the Bend police as well and thanked them for recovering my kites... and I know they really appreciated it... Thanks for the link !!! Email sent!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Wanted to give you an update on the theft and return of my kites. The thief (21 yrs. old) is still in jail with 4 counts of theft-1, 2 counts of theft-2 and 3 counts of UEMV (Unlawful Entry of Motor Vehicle). His bail is at $14,000, but he is still in jail. :) No word yet if and when a trial is set.

This the best news: :):) I was talking to a neighbor of mine, who is also a member of the City Council. He told me that last month this case was brought up by the Chief of Police at a city council meeting. The police chief told the city council what had happened and that they had found the kites because of the photo of the bag. There was an arrest and the kites were returned to the victim. My friend told the council "That's my neighbor, and he's very grateful". The police cheif also told them that the kiting community had e-mailed over 50 thank yous and well done letters to their office. :P

My friend said the police chief was very impressed by these responses from all over the US and world. Thank you everyone for your support. I know our police department had no idea of all the kite fliers out there and the support and communication we have with each other!

Again I wanted to say thank you and a special thanks to those of you that sent in a response to the police department.

I will keep you posted if and when there is a trial. :sign_kitelife:

• Like 1

Hi all,

Wanted to give you an update on the theft and return of my kites. The thief (21 yrs. old) is still in jail with 4 counts of theft-1, 2 counts of theft-2 and 3 counts of UEMV (Unlawful Entry of Motor Vehicle). His bail is at $14,000, but he is still in jail. :) No word yet if and when a trial is set.

This the best news: :):) I was talking to a neighbor of mine, who is also a member of the City Council. He told me that last month this case was brought up by the Chief of Police at a city council meeting. The police chief told the city council what had happened and that they had found the kites because of the photo of the bag. There was an arrest and the kites were returned to the victim. My friend told the council "That's my neighbor, and he's very grateful". The police cheif also told them that the kiting community had e-mailed over 50 thank yous and well done letters to their office. :P

My friend said the police chief was very impressed by these responses from all over the US and world. Thank you everyone for your support. I know our police department had no idea of all the kite fliers out there and the support and communication we have with each other!

Again I wanted to say thank you and a special thanks to those of you that sent in a response to the police department.

I will keep you posted if and when there is a trial. :sign_kitelife:

lol.. did you tell them they had better use the extra large courtroom??? I can just see all the kiters marching in there with SLE rods.. eeeeeeeeeks.

Congrats again, it was great flying with you at LC.

hugs mousie

In the navy there used to be a practice called "running the gauntlet" in which the thief on a ship would be led before his crew mates, each of whom would lash him with a piece of rope from the scraps locker. In an environment where trusting your mates was often vital if you were to live, a thief was simply intollerable to the men.

I guess this is the sort of thing you had in mind for this chap Mousie :) If so, may I be included in the line. I have a rev I SLE which would suit the purpose. ;)