Wildwood Int'l Kite Festival '09

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you have the van back in working order, Mel! Wooo Hoooo!!!

Melanie,

I'm pretty sure that if you wouldn't have make so many weekend trips to fly with the east coasters, the transmission wouldn't have worn out!!!

Cheers,

Tom

Hey guys! It was really nice to meet all of you and to have the opportunity to be in the mega fly! Back here in Quebec, we'd never be has much! We had a blast and I really hope we can do this again before next Wildwood. :)

And keep posting pictures, like Dominic said we didn't have the time to take some!

Jes the canadian :)

I think the funnier, not said, part of your guys rant about your hotel's location is the mere fact that, while where you guys were might've been eh, the Oceanic's website, for all it's nicety, doesn't even begin to show what a dive IT is!

I'm no elitist or anything but man o man that place is in need of some major work and is "not as described" on their website!!!!!

That said.........WW was awesome and the people there, whether staying at the Oceanic or not, were equally awesome!!!!! Good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the funnier, not said, part of your guys rant about your hotel's location is the mere fact that, while where you guys were might've been eh, the Oceanic's website, for all it's nicety, doesn't even begin to show what a dive IT is!

I'm no elitist or anything but man o man that place is in need of some major work and is "not as described" on their website!!!!!

I totally hear ya Rich and I agree, but ALOT can be forgiven if I can get a decent night's sleep. The hotel I stayed at was by no means posh, but my drunken neighbors never seemed to pass out before 5am! I was so freaking sleep deprived this trip it wasn't even funny. If I can't get a room in the Oceanic next year then I'm going to find a decent place in the North or on the Crest. I have a few places bookmarked with good traveller ratings/feedback.

That said.........WW was awesome and the people there, whether staying at the Oceanic or not, were equally awesome!!!!! Good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Oceanic has KITE HISTORY in it's walls tho! And the bar is a howl too. :D

This year we stayed at the Adventurer, which is located at the end of the boardwalk at the sportkite end, and it was a thousand times better than the Oceanic. It was an easy walk to the festival's fields, even with all the gear. We had a suite that had a king size and full size bed and a kitchenette with a pullout sofa. The best part was it was spotlessly clean and very quiet, and it included breakfast everyday! It was the best Wildwood Hotel we ever stayed at and we've been going since 1986!

We'll be there again next year!

Sue

You too could stay in an Airstream, the Starlux Hotel in WW has three of them that are attached to the hotel. Quite pricey and hard to get...

Oh I knowwww. I can't justify the cost of a pricey hotel considering how little time I spend in them when I'm down for the festival. Their airstreams are fixed up real nice inside: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucindalunacy...57603301765262/

the one main thing i miss the most was the wednesday before the festival when me and ben had a nice 2 man fly on the beach.. that is what i always enjoy and im glad ben got to see how peaceful wildwood is in the off season..

Thanks Ang... the comp was a blast!! I'm looking forward to the NJSKC in July!!! "Who'd a thunk it!!" :P;)

Thanks, Carolyn, I fire away as I'm walking to straighten out a mess, or when I was dead center of the "Mega Knot" as it's being called, I had nothing better to do than fire away; or any other chance I get!! I just can't pass it up. During one of the strolls for something cold to drink, I found my way over to the big kites, finally!! I missed it last year. Next time around, I can promise you that I will get some KAP shots!!! I had every intention of doing that this time, but this little thing called a Revolution Kite kept calling me away from it! ;)

As always, great photo work Laura,

and, . . . .... as far as REVs keeping you from other kites or activities. Well, that's just a part of their addictive process. Some of us wind up with lots of things that just never seem to get pulled out and used. I personally travel lighter than ever now. One bag, just stuffed with rev products, a place to sit and my lunchbox/coffee cup combo. If I have to truck too far across the tundra it's slipped into a golf cart for ease of transport on my aching back.

Competition is like about anything else in life. You get out of it exactly what you put in! If you really want to improve, you need to shadow judge a couple of times, to get a feel for what is expected in scoring well. Others of us fly for our own enjoyment and don't care what happens on those five clipboards. I've never had a planned-out routine and only used music I enjoy recently, generally picking the song I'll use the morning of the event. I have allowed the sound guy and my wife to select music while I was standing on the field. Last year in the Outer Banks I even practiced for a couple of days and my score reflected that commitment. Next time out I was back to my old self though.

You get to see how everyone else deals with the pressure (or lack of it depending on the individual!) You see the latest developments, but also what others consider as their old reliable standbys. What modifications or techniques are being implemented that maybe haven't been seen before?

Wildwood's competition significance has all but vanished, compared to earlier in the festival's life. They used to run "heats" to see who was worthy of competition judging on the grand boardwalk stage. Dozens of fliers in categories instead of a couple of people, like it was this year. Change is a constant.

Laura, thank you once again for the marvelous photographic effort you put forth and the trouble you go to, to share it with us all!