Rev 1 flying techniques

Choccy

Have you noticed if you apply a different kind of flying technique whilst

flying a Rev 1 compared to say a 1.5 ?

With a standard sail & 2 wrap frame I have experienced the need to change how I fly,

especially when making turns with a Rev 1 (in moderate wind).

Pulling the brake to make a turn especially if the wind picks up or gusts is quite hard for me to do.

Push turns are going to be a less of a strain on my funsized wrists!

Think I'll try more brake next time.

I've observed that the Rev 1 is not responding in the same way as the 1.5 would. :confused!:

It is really slow, is this normal ?

I've noticed that the bridle appears to be sagging on both sides at the top of the LE during flight...

Is this usual ? Does it need 'tuning' ?

Anyone else had any similar experiences ?

Just trying to get the best out of the much raved/revved about Sedgwick ;)

The ''1'' is a slower kite

try the three wrap, I think it is ten times better than the two

no where near as much flex so turns are more precise and sharper

I dont know if its a fault or not but my ''1'' has the loose bits on the ends of the bridle as well

Have you noticed if you apply a different kind of flying technique whilst

flying a Rev 1 compared to say a 1.5 ?

With a standard sail & 2 wrap frame I have experienced the need to change how I fly,

especially when making turns with a Rev 1 (in moderate wind).

<snip>

We gave up on the 2 wrap frame for team flying although we were probably using them at WSIKF 1994. 4 wrap centre and 3 wrap ends and verticals became our standard set-up.

The overall slower characteristic is potentially a bit of a challenge. However, familiarity with the difference between the 1.5 and speed series kites may help!

I am looking forward to trying the Race Rods in the Rev 1 soon!

Felix

Anymore I fly my 1's with the same handle set up as I would with my B. Max brake and then some. I only have the 4 wrap frame, so I don't know how it handles with the other frame sets. The 1 is definatly slower than a 1.5. It does the same things just slower. It's more of a finesse Rev for me after flying 1.5's.

Dean

Nice with Race Rods at Low winds.Once youve dialed into slow mo.Best kite on the planet in winds 2mph upto 5or 6 as a Max.Love it[VENTED] with 3wrap up to 8 or 9mph.After That.Thers nicer stuff to fly.The guys above are on the money with Floppy-ness ...lol,Also...

Its an aquired Taste.The frame mix Felix mentions is sumat i hadnt thought about,sounds like a great idea.Will try that.

Thanks for the ideas folks

BRIAN...31GERUPS

Rev makes a SUL bridle for the Rev 1. I also felt the one it came with was a bit thick and heavy for the kite so I got the SUL bridle and like it. I'm sure it would be easy to make your own but I got the Rev made one to be safe and it was easy to replace.

Slow down Choccy, have yourself a Cadburys Caramel (remember the advert)

The 1 is as different an animal from the 1.5 as the 2.

Yes to the leisurly flight, that is what I love about it. All mine have the slightly loose bridle also.

I would think the tickness is due to the fact you can fly it in fairly high winds, pulls like a train so need the added strength.

I also prefer mine in lighter winds. Although they will keep you on your toes in higher ones.

And yess to flting with loads of brake still.

Just relax and enjoy. Go with the flow.

Slow down Choccy, have yourself a Cadburys Caramel (remember the advert)

Hee hee.

Remember the advert, I was the Cadbury's caramel Bunny (I used to do a great impersonation at College anyway) ;)

Ok, so I do need more brake.

However when I was trying to turn the rev1, it just wouldn't turn... that's what I mean about it being delayed (slow) to respond. :confused!:

Sure I know the whole flight of a Rev1 is much slower and elegant than the rest of the rev-family :P

Interesting you mostly didn't like the 2 wrap, but raved about the race frame (what's the difference).

Will try various other set ups and in much lighter wind... :blue_wink:

Thanks.

"Take it

"

Hee hee.

Remember the advert, I was the Cadbury's caramel Bunny (I used to do a great impersonation at College anyway) ;)

Ok, so I do need more brake.

However when I was trying to turn the rev1, it just wouldn't turn... that's what I mean about it being delayed (slow) to respond. :confused!:

Sure I know the whole flight of a Rev1 is much slower and elegant than the rest of the rev-family :P

Interesting you mostly didn't like the 2 wrap, but raved about the race frame (what's the difference).

Will try various other set ups and in much lighter wind... :blue_wink:

Thanks.

"Take it

"

Well I like the Rev 1 with Pro use spars but only as Bri says in light winds

Well I like the Rev 1 with Pro use spars but only as Bri says in light winds

Me too that's what I bought mine for, but it is a different animal to the 1.5 and it does take a bit of getting used to, be gentle with it, don't over control it, it's very much a case of less is more with a Rev 1.

Hi Fiona, don't forget how many hours practice you have put in with your Rev 1.5. I'm not saying that it needs the same amount of practice time but it certainly does help the more hours you put in. Think of it like buying a new car, you don't need to learn to drive again but it does take a little while to work out what buttons to press.

Keep having fun.

Stephen

The reason I got my Rev 1 is easy:

He make the kite look like it is flying so effortlessly, slow and smooth. I even asked John exactly what he was flying. He told me a Rev I Sedgwick Series with a 2 wrap. No problem that is what I got so I could fly just like that. When I came, imagine my surprise when I found it wasn't trained yet. Knowing what this kite can do keeps me coming back when ever I get that nice light breeze off the water. Of course it doesn't look just looks the video :wacko::wacko::wacko: , mine is different colors.

It was the Rev that I started with and didn't get on with it for ages. In my experience they fly very differently to the 1.5. Much more arm movement is needed to get the best out of a 1. Also I find it best to let out the top lines a good couple of inches more so that the kite is really sitting back. There's nothing wrong with the 2 wrap frame in very light winds -- worth persisting with for sure.

The Rev 1 has a very narrow centre ^ notch compared to the Rev II and 1.5, so it doesn't get as much forward drive out of the centre sail section.

It needs careful tending of both wings, as they are more independent of each other than the other models.

The stock bridle on mine was very saggy on the outer legs, so I tied up a new one out of Spectra core bridle line with slightly different geometry so it's not as slack.

Hi Fiona, don't forget how many hours practice you have put in with your Rev 1.5. I'm not saying that it needs the same amount of practice time but it certainly does help the more hours you put in. Think of it like buying a new car, you don't need to learn to drive again but it does take a little while to work out what buttons to press.

Keep having fun.

Stephen

I found that switching to the speed series (Shockwave and Supersonic) was very useful in informing my flying of the Rev 1 and Rev 1.5.

Occasionally I have been asked to fly other 4 line things and have been able to do so even though line lengths were all over the place. It's the mindset that counts.

If a kite is set up with 'too much forward' it will be a struggle to control, for sure. Rather than adjusting line lengths it can sometimes be helpful to radically change the way you are holding the handles as a quick check!

I would be interested to know the weight to sail area ratios in comparing the Rev 1 and Rev 1.5. I would also be interested in finding a way to establish how much additional 'drive' can be imparted by the flier for a given physical movement. It seems to me that it is 'easier' to 'throw' the 1.5 around but I may just be comparing old stretched sails against new crisp ones.

As I recall, the outer bridle legs were loose by design, pulling tight when needed in flight. We've never bothered to change them, that is for sure!

Felix

Probably un-questioning Felix!

Well, whatever! As we have seen in Polo's excellent videos, there is scope for a higher degree of precision. I am wondering if this will be achieved across the whole Rev range or will it be limited to an ideal weight to sail area ratio? Picking up a Rev 1 with 'too much forward' on it was something I did on 10th January 2009. It is an alien feeling <grins>

Felix