Different handles

Baloo

Question

Hi all,

I am starting to get a collection of Revs now. Rev 1, Exp, Rev 2 and a supersonic. The Rev 2 handles are shorter with a tighter bend. Rev 1 and Exp the same exept the foam bit is thicker on the Rev1. The Supersonic seems to have the same curve but a bit longer. Some have pigtails, (I know this is a usefull mod).

Can I reasonably use any of the handles for any of the kites or are the lengths/bends tailored to suit one better than the other? I have not been able to fly them all enough to do my own experiments as we are in the doldrums here at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards, Chris.

23 answers to this question

There are as many opinions on handles as there are shades of grey in an English summer sky!

However, in brief, the longer the handle the more effect it has on the kite. So use the Rev 1 handle on your Rev 2 and you can flick=flack and and a whole host of other tricks, but it is much harder to control until you get acustomed to it as any error is effectively magnified at the kite end.

Most fliers will use as long a handle as possible as it allows for greater precision and control (indeed Mr J Mithchell uses extended-extended handles).  There is a flip side, long handles are a b****r in really strong winds as there is a great deal of pressure on your wrists.  

So, short answers, long is good,  shorter in strong winds, longer in light winds.  The best advice is to try some options and always go with what is best for you.

Hope that helps

i have 13 inch handles and 8 inch handles i also made a 15 inch set i huse the smaller handles for my speed series and my 13 inch for my 1.5s and 1 and exp my 15 inch ones are good for my blast but longer handles do make for better reverse you ll have to see what you like but you can use the 13 inch or 8 inch for any of the kites

I guess I'm kinda in the minority.  I usually like to fly with the handles that "come" with the kite, with few exceptions.  

I use the standard Rev handles on the Rev I, 1.5, Shockwave and Supersonic.  Then the "extended" handles (perhaps 13"?) on my 1.5 SUL.  The Rev II handles on the Rev II.  

Exceptions are when the wind is light, I'll usually go up a handle size.  Also, when flying with 2-wrap spars on my Rev I, I'll use the very long (think 15"?) handles.  Also, when flying my Rev II stack, I need to use regular handles to get them to turn effectively.  I've also used my Blast handles on the Rev II stack when the wind was up a little.

The point of all of this is that you should use the handles that feel right for you.  I'm probably not a good enough flyer to use the very long handles because I tend to overcontrol the kite in those conditions.

Later, Doug

When it comes to handle lengths, it is everyone to their own preference.

The top US flier John Barresi prefers shorter handles.

The top European flier Guido Maiocchi prefers longer handles.

It more a matter of what you are used to and prefer.

I personally prefer the longer handles, which Guido adapted from me about 10 years ago.

As for your 13" inch handles, you can extend them relatively easy and see if you like them. If not you can remove the extension.

To extend them, you need a 2" or so piece of metal tube, stainless looks better and tougher, but aluminum will work. Important is that the id(inside diameter) are the same or very close. Then you need and inside solid ferrule which could be fiberglass, carbon or some type of metal such as aluminum. For the outside, if the outside diameter is not the same, you will need bevel the inner end of the extension to keep the line from snagging on it. This is assuming that the extension has a larger od then the original stainless metal. If it has a smaller od, you might develop a weak point on your handles.

For the test, you might want to use some type of glue that does not hold that well. (e.g. rubber glue) If your satisfied with the length, use something like epoxy to hold it into place permanently.

If you need and explanation of how to assemble the extension, I am sure one of us can explain.

Thanks John, that makes sense and quite easy to do thanks to your explanation :)

I'm definitely going to experiment with different handle lengths, as well as line lengths.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Your right John it's the flier that should decide, I use mostly the 13 inch unless it's very light then I go to the 15 inch. John I remember those long handles you had the last time I saw you and they were just different, neither better nor worse just different and that what I always tell fliers experiment and find what works for you. This is all about you and what works for you not what works for me.......................Ben

If I have anything spare, I'm always willing to share, however in this case, I will still need them, as I am trying my darndest up here to attract people to this exciting sport and hopefuly get someone to fly with. I have been actively trying for 8 months now, even advertising in local publications, still without success. Lets just say that kiting up here is about as popular as skydiving WITHOUT a parachute :blink: - Not very popular! ;)

That been said, it has not dampened my enthusiasm, and I continue to do my very best to attract others to the sport.

If I haven't been successful within the next couple of months, I will reconsider how's that? :)

As for my beautiful custom kevlar handles (a VERY GENEROUS gift from BEN - Thanks again Ben :)) ...... I'm ONLY going to be using them, I just LOVE them :D

Now come on Stryker, make your mind up. In your earlier post you said you wouldnt be using your other Rev handles much!!

I was going to say that you could give some to me but now you are saying you will need them in case anyone else wants to try flying with you.

I would have thought you would have wanted them to try your best handles to get the best feeling from the experience.

In which case you dont need any other handles than the Ben ones.

(hope you can follw my logic here alleykat)

Hi all,

I am starting to get a collection of Revs now. Rev 1, Exp, Rev 2 and a supersonic. The Rev 2 handles are shorter with a tighter bend. Rev 1 and Exp the same exept the foam bit is thicker on the Rev1. The Supersonic seems to have the same curve but a bit longer. Some have pigtails, (I know this is a usefull mod).

Can I reasonably use any of the handles for any of the kites or are the lengths/bends tailored to suit one better than the other? I have not been able to fly them all enough to do my own experiments as we are in the doldrums here at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards, Chris.

I have heard that the longer handles are meant for lighter winds (I suppose this is because of the more movement you need to make in light winds). But if you are anything like me, you will disreguard this and play around with different handles and see what you like.

i spokw with john on yim he said the handles were 15 inch the pic was of joe h jim f ben d and i forget the foruth guy but i want to make a longer set of handles for my lomax tail spin the 13 inch doesnt have enough reverse so i gotta go longer

i spokw with john on yim he said the handles were 15 inch the pic was of joe h jim f ben d and i forget the foruth guy but i want to make a longer set of handles for my lomax tail spin the 13 inch doesnt have enough reverse so i gotta go longer

The fourth guy is Mark Lummas from the pair Bi Dance and the former multiple world champion team Sky Dance.

The handles that Joe had in his hands in that photo are actually my private handles. I made those particular handles about ten years ago using a set of handles from revolution that I reworked with longer stainless tubes.

The distance from ring to ring is 14.5 inches. The handle length straight across is 15 inches.

The actual rod length is 15.5 inches.

I have also taken original Revolution 11 and 13 inch handles and extended them to 15 inch. You can use as an internal ferrule, solid rod materials such as fiberglass, aluminum, carbon and other reasonably strong rod material. I have used fiberglass and after 10 years they are still fine. For the outer I used the same stainless tube, but you might get away with aluminum if it was solid all the way. That is up to you.

well i made a set today that are 18 inch for my lomax tail spin quad line kite they do well with it but i might take an inch off for a little better control ther were 13 inch rev handles witch i used slightly larger tubeing and some tape and glue they hold up well i have a pic of them in the kitelife forum