stains on my sail

antman

well i took my ghost out to keansburg and i havent been able to get a few stains off of it .. i dont want to try anything other then soap and water untill i get advise here .. dont want to ruin a new sail!!! i dont knowthat the kite caught but its there and it wont go away.. you dont see it in flight but i know its there and i like my stuff lookin good and want to keep it that way so anyone out there that knows something.. please let me know .. thanks alot

well i took my ghost out to keansburg and i havent been able to get a few stains off of it .. i dont want to try anything other then soap and water untill i get advise here .. dont want to ruin a new sail!!! i dont knowthat the kite caught but its there and it wont go away.. you dont see it in flight but i know its there and i like my stuff lookin good and want to keep it that way so anyone out there that knows something.. please let me know .. thanks alot

Watch out for the Goose poo! It does it every time.

Has JB borrowed your kite? Sorry in joke.

This may help.

Www.ultralightnews.pilotslounge.cleaning_Dacron.htm

Also look at sailmaker sites. North sails is good. But remeber that when it comes to spinnaker cloth UK sailmaker use the term nylon for both nylon and poly.

Has JB borrowed your kite? Sorry in joke.

This may help.

Www.ultralightnews.pilotslounge.cleaning_Dacron.htm

Also look at sa

Jeremy,

Two wrong postings don't make a right address ... this is what the address looks like.

http://www.ultralightnews.com/pilotslounge...ning_dacron.htm

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Tom

Can't speak for sail cloth, but I can speak for Nylon tents and Polyester tent material. That website seemed mostly correct, except for Acetone. Acetone will damage most synthetics, and I would *not* use it under any situation on nylon or polyester.

I think I would try a gentle soap and water solution; a bleaching solution should also do well, and not affect the sail. I would even let it "set" and soak for awhile, and a mild solution should do no harm unless cotton thread was used to sew the sail (but that should not be the case; cotton thread should not be used on a synthetic sail). Finally, rinsing with *cool* water and let it thoroughly dry is the rule.

Beg top differ on acetone. It should not damage the fillers in ripstop - We have a big tub of the stuff we use to clean over-runs of glue off sails after we have put the branding and such like on. Works great on the spinnakers. Possibly tents use a different set of fillers and coatings - well not possibly, they do which is why the cloths are softer.

As always the golden rule is to try out on an inconspicuous area first of course. And always start with the weakest solution, soap and water, and work up to the stronger stuff from there.

Beg top differ on acetone. It should not damage the fillers in ripstop - We have a big tub of the stuff we use to clean over-runs of glue off sails after we have put the branding and such like on. Works great on the spinnakers. Possibly tents use a different set of fillers and coatings - well not possibly, they do which is why the cloths are softer.

As always the golden rule is to try out on an inconspicuous area first of course. And always start with the weakest solution, soap and water, and work up to the stronger stuff from there.

It'd be great if someone would check out acetone on Rev material ... poly and nylon. All the waste from the holes cut out of experimentally vented kites would do ...

My kites are too new and clean to need a drastic approach ... you know, only flown on clear days by a grandpa type of usage ... but, someday it'll happen and the advice would be helpful.

Cheers,

Tom