Read and pass along...

KiteLife

With the code of ethics that the kiting community shares and respects, let's just keep passing this message along to our friends and just boycott companies like them. If they won't listen to any requests for common decency, hit them in the wallet; then they'll get the message.

Its pretty sad that a company can do something like this and feel they are not in the wrong whatsoever, Through my surfing I have seen copies of many dual, quad and single line kites.

They say imitation is the biggest form of flattery but doing it for profit is just unethical and plain wrong.

Sure make a kite for yourself or a friend hey that's cool you accomplished something and your proud to display it power to ya.

There are currently Rev rip offs on EB@Y from China and Canadian companies that are not only inferior but don't even come close.

I've seen copy cat duals that look like Lam's kites I've seem copies of Bazzer eyes and a few other masterpieces on the web that I think are just personally made (not sure seeing as they were in china) usually its followed with a quote saying "Can't afford a masterpiece so made my own" OK that's cool as long as they are not mass produced.

Engal makes a really cool quad that looks similar to a blast but with many many differences and are selling them, Not sure how the patent thing runs there but with most patents that get ripped off all they have to do is modify it slightly and there is no recourse.

It's a greedy world out there and everyone tries to make a buck off someone else s hard work, To me that's the saddest part of this whole ordeal.

Unfortunately when you look at Kite Festival pictures you see them in the air. Funny part is they are really obvious and stick out like sore thumbs.

Good luck in the fight against the scumbags, My part will be heckling anyone I see with one of these if I happen to come across one.

Spread the word and inform the public.

I would heckle the idiot that tells me about the (insert kite designer name here) knock off they bought.

I am sure other times you will see a person that bought the kite not knowing anything about it. That is also the person that has no idea of the effort or costs that go into the kite.

I guess I don't blame the flyer But I would blame and make a stink at the store/vendor & distributor of said crap.

Kind of like when Ben says people come into the office with a knock off rev and ask for help. (they usually have no idea its not a rev).

The other thing is to keep supporting your local & respectable kite dealers.

If it sounds too good to be to be true....buyer beware - unless Ben goes mad again...and you know he will:)

posted my opnion in kitelife ..as i said there .. what is going on in the kiting world anymore???bring back the old days when kiting was all about kites and good times and not all these greedy people trying to rob ideas from one another.. i have been seeibng this alot lately and i dont like it .. its gonna make people walk away from out sport.. i will never quit kiting no matter where it goes but we need to stop this madness before it spirles out of control

hi all.

this is how i see it, yeah it is wrong.

i feel sorry for the people who put time and effort into producing a quality product.

but in this world of ours it will happen, people will copy something if they think they can make money from it, or sell it cheaper.

most of us who fly have a ipod, mp3 or mp4, where did you get your music from?.

did you pay for every tune you have on it, or go to bearshare or limewire and download it free.

chocky did you all a dvd from portsmouth and bristol.

did she ask your permission to film you?.

how many of you have made a copy and sent it to a friend.

it's the same with guitars, how many are copys of a Fender Strat or Gibson Les Paul.

you see my friends what i am saying.

it does go on and will go on.

there is no way you will stop it, yeah like he says a patent takes time and money to get.

yeah it is wrong, but then again, how many people have made a rev like kit, or got one.

i have made a few, people on here have them.

so all we can do is educate people into not buying cheap kites.

but guess what they will buy cheap made kites, because they know no better.

that is how i see it.

sorry to go on, thanks for reading.

it's my son's birthday today, i'm of to have a go on guitar hero, which we got him.

guess is what is written on the headstock of the plastic guitar Gibson. (i know sponsors of the game, and a few others) but you see what i mean.

Happy New year to you all.

all the best steve(pudsli).

chocky did you all a dvd from portsmouth and bristol.

did she ask your permission to film you?.

how many of you have made a copy and sent it to a friend.

Yes we got permission.

If you had requested a copy for yourself you'd see that no one is supposed to copy and distribute the DVD.

There are so many little cliche lines to be tossed at this one. I'll include a couple starting with one that comes from an American auto manufacturer......"The quality goes in before the name goes on" (if only that were true!), which leads nicely into "buyer beware" and then "you get what you pay for".

Take from that what you will, but the great majority of buyers (kite buyers in this case) (kite buyers like myself who do not have the mad skills to craft their own) will buy up to the $$$ max they can afford to buy because they want the best right out of the box. Most people will do that.

When inferior products (copy cats & the like) are introduced into the market place by less than respectable people trying to pass them off as A #1 or the "real deal", they are often sold and bought by folks who are always scheming to find the next "something for nothing" deal and then trying themselves to pass it off as something it is not. Usually resulting in the "you get what you pay for" category.

I'm not saying that there aren't good folks out there trying to find good value for less or a bargain, rather those folks are doing their due diligence to find that good deal and are turning away from something they feel is inferior and therefore not buying it.

The point is that, as Pudsli stated, all sides are guilty here, the "manufacurer (sic)", the seller, and the buyer. It becomes our job to continue to get the word out there to support the companies and artists and craftsman/woman we belieive in so their works don't get ripped off. It is always a grass roots effort and will continue to be so. It starts right out on the field when someone comes over and says what kind of kite is that and where can I get one?....and the response is go to revkites.com, etc.

Again, the desire to own something for less than it's percieved value or the desire to sell something at a price that will be percieved as a great deal are emotional and are looked at by both sides as acceptable if their own indivdual needs and goals are met. Sad reality but true reality.

It is up to each person on their own to determine what their threshold for acceptibility in the global society will be.

I think the Topic in Question Steve, has nothing what so ever to do with IPod,copying music ,or any other old negative rubbish for that matter Steve.Two wrongs, wont and dont make it wright, and shouldnt be used as an excuse not to bother sopporting these folk.Its a constuctive atempt to warn people of the situation firstly.It would be naive to beleive that it doesnt happen in the kite industry/sport/,but this is a chance for the individual to make ther minds up on wher they stand on this particular matter and help make a diffrence so to stamp it out within kiteing.

It concerns one said,shop/company,selling copys of Original kites/equipment/plans/work and fake,inferia goods.Without as much as a kind word to the Original builders/designers .The Original designers and builders are,after much debate ,genuine effort,and fruitless comunication with the said shop/company are,,,, asking for HELP and sending a WARNING.to the Kite Community Making sure tha people are aware and that these type of shops/companys arent allowed to profit from other peoples designes, plans and con folk into buying fakes.

More importantly.

Its in everyones best intrests to try and support the guys that need our sopport and not just turn a blind eye or pass it as the norm.

BRIAN...for wrongs to win,only takes good men to do Nothing...

Yes we got permission.

If you had bothered to request a copy for yourself you'd see that no one is supposed to copy and distribute the DVD.

And since I received a copy of the dvd, AT NO CHARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I see this as a great gift to us all. No reason to even bring the dvd into play here. You are grasping at air there .

*********************yeah it is wrong, but then again, how many people have made a rev like kit, or got one.

i have made a few, people on here have them.******************************************quote

And Yes Steve, I have also made some.... HOWEVER, you will NEVER EVER see me selling one of them unless it goes DIRECTLY THROUGH THE REVOLUTION KITE COMPANY. All requests for any custom work I do on a rev shaped kite are sent directly to Benny. That's how I do business. With respect for the people that designed the kite.

DVD was just an example, ultimately.

There was lots of discussion around it before hand, Rev had no issues with it, and performers typically sign a waiver that allows photo/video as par for course of being in a public event venue... The only one who appears to have an issue is pudsli, there is no one to convince, although he did get the bees nest buzzing. ;)

Let's stay on topic with more important things, and not muddy the mission at hand, eh?

Happy son's birthday pudsli. ;)

hi all.

listen i am not getting at anyone, chocky did a great job on the dvd, if she had charged people for the dvd people would have paid for one, i would.

but that is my choice and your choice.

what this firm is doing is Wrong, but i'm afraid it will go on.

at the end of the day if people want to buy a cheap kite copy or otherwise, guess what they will.

at festivals you always see joe public with cheap single line kites.

all we can do is like i said educate.

i am just saying what i think, maybe right , maybe wrong.

i am not slaging anyone off, not my style.

just having my say, that is what a forum is about, is it not.

if i have offended anyone i'm sorry.

it's just the way i see things.

take Lady Diana's wedding dress, a copy of the dress was in the stores the next day.

all the best steve (pudsli)

And since I received a copy of the dvd, AT NO CHARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I see this as a great gift to us all. No reason to even bring the dvd into play here. You are grasping at air there .

Gota be jokin,

If weight of opinion is worth anything and personal achievements taken into account.Along with fair play.The quote that Mouseio correctly questions, should be removed/deleted.

I totally agree with Mouseio.Its a cheep shot.I read the post and found that part out of order.Completely not on.A bad atempt and a very poor example.

To even atempt to do down the hardwork,time,and effort that Choccy and Groz made in making the DVD for everyone who tookpart or anyone that wanted a copy is nothing short of Cheep,negative rubbish.Its a GENUINE part of kite history,nothing less.

I only hope.That Choc and Groz dont take offence to much and say stuff the lot of ya.If people are tobe shot at.These two peoples efforts,credability should not even be in question here.The fine record made by them of the event shouldnt be allowed to be dragged in subject. It needs to be REMOVED from the post,

I only hope one or two more Bees start Buzzin now and get that part removed.

BRIAN...

It's a great vid and stands on it's own merits, whatever is said about it. As such don't think anything needs removing Bri. Puds is right about one thing though. Education is key. And that is what they guys who signed the open letter are trying to achive; ensuring we are aware of what this company's ethics are.

I personally think we should focus on the open letter and it's objectives rather than on puds POV and whether we agree with it or not

(ps they didn't make Diana wedding dresses in my size :( )

It's a great vid and stands on it's own merits, whatever is said about it. As such don't think anything needs removing Bri. Puds is right about one thing though. Education is key. And that is what they guys who signed the open letter are trying to achive; ensuring we are aware of what this company's ethics are.

I personally think we should focus on the open letter and it's objectives rather than on puds POV and whether we agree with it or not

(ps they didn't make Diana wedding dresses in my size :( )

I agree with the merits and will focus on the Job at hand my freind.

Happy New Year btw,,,,

BRIAN...im sure Pudders knows someone that can sort the Dress for ya mate