Aqua vs. Teal?

Jasper21

Question

8 answers to this question

I am looking at getting a vented kite and was wondering if the teal and the aqua are the same color? I like the JB series in aqua, and the SLE in Teal/Black. As near as I can tell they are the same color.\, albeit in different patterns.

Yes, they were one and the same.

However....now it's called Caribbean.

When you really look at the RGB color number in relation to the "acceptable" name, Aqua and Teal are quite different.

Aqua - 0-255-255

Teal - 0-128-128

Take a look at, for example: http://web.njit.edu/~kevin/rgb.txt.html and other web sites. Just google "RGB color names" for more web sites.

You will notice that both, each, have matched values of the Green and Blue with zero Red. You could call teal and aqua are lighter or darker shades of the other.

As for the colors names used for Spinnaker Nylon and Polyester, I would say that the name choice is more a marketing issue then the true color name.

I wonder if Revolution INC uses or can use this color format to make sail color because if these colors can be matched

a Neon colored sail would be sweet.

I think it is down to first finding a mfr that can supply the material, then there is the consideration of the demand for the color in reference to how much material is produced and purchased. Material is usually purchased in large rolls and if it is not a commonly produced color at the time then it would mean a special run of that color which would obviously jack up the price even more.

Neon colors such as pink, yellow, green and blue were common spinnaker nylon colors back about 12 years ago. Some colors were also made in spinnaker polyester. I guess it died off with the fad and the fact that all neon colors colors loose their brilliance very rapidly going towards white.