Race Rods vs 3 Wrap frame?

lasapcheong

Question

Hi,

I've a quick question regarding the use of either race rods vs 3 wrap frames in a VTD B-Series sail.

In winds of say 8 - 10mph where you typically use the 3 wrap only in a VTD sail, would it be the same as using race rods instead? Say under the same wind conditions and forgetting about the flex characteristics, if I were to use race rods instead of 3 wraps, do I have to worry that the race rods are more prone to breakage from sudden wind gusts as opposed to having 3 wrap frame? Would I see the same degree of flex if I"m using race rods (even though they are as strong as a 3 wrap)

Am asking because I'm contemplating having race rods in my VTD sail as a default and adding another 3 wrap only when winds get ballistic. Currently I have 3 wraps as a default in the VTD and add an extra 3 wrap to double the leading edges. Trying to squeeze a little more out of the lower wind range of the VTD but also mindful of the tolerance the race rods can handle when a sudden big gust comes along.

Thanks for the advice.

-Darryl

7 answers to this question

I love Race Rods (bought 3 sets so far), but I prefer to use them at the lighter end of the wind range.

They might be able to survive quite a bit more wind, but how many times do you want to take a chance?

If there's enough wind that the Race Rods are deflecting a lot, there is plenty of wind for 3 Wrap ULs or even 4 Wrap Equipped.

I have been using RR up to about 15 in the vented. Then I go to 4wrap. It seems to work fine. I am flying next to the mountains and winds are not steady so I like RR because it seems to handle a wide range. I use it up to about 10 to 12 on a non vented. So my kit is really just RR and 4 wrap now.

I also made an indoor REV 2 and use the RR on that indoors. Have used them up 30 on the REV 2 at WSIKF last year.

They sure seem tough for such a light rod set.

RR are the buisness.Get them for your vented.It will improve your feel and range without a doubt

I have also tried mixing rods.Race centre shaft and 2, 3, or 4 wrap outer shafts.I have to say i realy like RRCentre and 3 wrap outer in my B Series.When the winds around 10/12mph.

In a Rev One ther also v,very good.Try mixing them ther also as above.again the RR Centre and 3 wrap outer is a nice combo i think.

Dont be afraid to try diffrent stuff with um.

Have fun

BRIAN...It may say MARS on the wrapper,but it doesnt come from ther

In lower winds (say 5mph) there is nothing, nothing at all, like a vented or semi vented with a race frame. Sublime.

Throw away your fears of breaking them. I have had them is a vented in way too much wind. They were far from ideal but I couldn't be bothered to change. But the point is that they didn't come close to breaking. Smacking into the ground with a tip many do it as carbon doesn't like shock loading. But breaking them by simple bending isn't easy.