Cold hands

My local Costco has gloves in the sporting goods section that are decent for the mild cold Las Vegas experiences. $10, made by Head, nice feature is they have a slight rubber grid covering the palm and fingers to aid in gripping, and they have a special material on the thumb and forefinger that interacts with a touchscreen cell phone very nicely. They stretch a bit and fit tight (different sizes available) so they don't interrupt the feedback from the Rev too much. I don't think they would be suitable for really cold conditions, they break the cold wind off my hands nicely though.

While I've been flying kites for a couple years, before picking up on the Rev this year I never flew that much during the winter - I'm a cold weather wimp. This year, because of the Rev, I have the bug in a major way, and I'm determined to get out there every day and pursue my hobby/sport/relaxation/passion, regardless of conditions. I have some gear questions:

The weather in Las Vegas gets down to about 38 degrees Fahrenheit, usually no more than 30 percent humidity.

Can anyone recommend a nice, soft set of thermals (underwear or "fashion" thermals, tops and bottoms)? I've bought 3 different thermal tops now, and I swear they were all made with cactus needles and sandpaper.

Anyone have a recommendation for the best way to keep my ears, cheeks, and nose warm while flying? When I search online I see scarves, balaclavas, ski masks, etc. just wondering which works best while actively flying a kite.

You can start out with a hoodie(hooded sweatshirt) and then a windbreaker with a hood over it. If it really gets cold you need artic type with hood. Check out www.sierratradingpost.com . They regularly have good deals. The thing is there, when you see what you want, buy on the spot, because tomorrow or even an hour later it may be gone.

Can't give you any tips for the cheeks.

For gloves, I use sailing gloves until it really gets cold. Then I use ski gloves.

For thermals. I used some silk ones with normal thermals over them. Very warm and no itch.

My local Costco has gloves in the sporting goods section that are decent for the mild cold Las Vegas experiences. $10, made by Head, nice feature is they have a slight rubber grid covering the palm and fingers to aid in gripping, and they have a special material on the thumb and forefinger that interacts with a touchscreen cell phone very nicely. They stretch a bit and fit tight (different sizes available) so they don't interrupt the feedback from the Rev too much. I don't think they would be suitable for really cold conditions, they break the cold wind off my hands nicely though.

While I've been flying kites for a couple years, before picking up on the Rev this year I never flew that much during the winter - I'm a cold weather wimp. This year, because of the Rev, I have the bug in a major way, and I'm determined to get out there every day and pursue my hobby/sport/relaxation/passion, regardless of conditions. I have some gear questions:

The weather in Las Vegas gets down to about 38 degrees Fahrenheit, usually no more than 30 percent humidity.

Can anyone recommend a nice, soft set of thermals (underwear or "fashion" thermals, tops and bottoms)? I've bought 3 different thermal tops now, and I swear they were all made with cactus needles and sandpaper.

Anyone have a recommendation for the best way to keep my ears, cheeks, and nose warm while flying? When I search online I see scarves, balaclavas, ski masks, etc. just wondering which works best while actively flying a kite.

Hi,

Worked a lot of Norwegian winters, and the only cold weather liner for me is DEVOLD impossible to get cold even when wet .

They also do all of the undergarments you will need for layering up.

Love my rev too, hoping father Christmas has been kind to me for my second kite :)

Take care and stay warm.

Terry

Thanks for the recommendations, John and Terry!

While I kind of feel goofy for asking how to keep warm, I can't afford my usual "trial and error" method after spending for this Christmas.

Oh, so THAT'S what that hood was for on the back of my sweatshirts!! LOL seriously, it didn't occur to me till I read it....... kid_frustrated.gif

Ah, ok, silk thermals sound like the way to go. Again thanks for the recommendation!! I've never had a need to buy one till now..... And like I mentioned I bought 3 uncomfortable ones already.

Sierratradingpost.com is a favorite of mine, though I've never bought clothes there. Bensbargains.net has "20% off" coupon codes for sierratradingpost.com right now, makes the deal even sweeter. Thanks for the recommend!

Thanks for the info on Devold! I had problems with their website, so I requested a catalog.

I'm hoping father Christmas drops off a Rev Indoor for me!

Thanks for the info Terry! It will help me stay warm and stay flying. Best wishes, I hope you can do the same smile.gif

I haven't compared prices, but Winter Silks (www.wintersilks.com) keeps sending us catalogs. I don't tend to need such things - I might wear a jacket over my short-sleeved cotton shirt three or four times a winter. (In Michigan.) OTOH, I rarely spend long periods of time outdoors in the winter.

You can start out with a hoodie(hooded sweatshirt) and then a windbreaker with a hood over it. If it really gets cold you need artic type with hood. Check out www.sierratradingpost.com . They regularly have good deals. The thing is there, when you see what you want, buy on the spot, because tomorrow or even an hour later it may be gone.

Can't give you any tips for the cheeks.

For gloves, I use sailing gloves until it really gets cold. Then I use ski gloves.

For thermals. I used some silk ones with normal thermals over them. Very warm and no itch.

For those outside North America, Sierra Trading Post is quite experienced shipping overseas.

I haven't compared prices, but Winter Silks (www.wintersilks.com) keeps sending us catalogs. I don't tend to need such things - I might wear a jacket over my short-sleeved cotton shirt three or four times a winter. (In Michigan.) OTOH, I rarely spend long periods of time outdoors in the winter.

That looks like good stuff!

Some years ago (read that as many years ago) I got a pair of "driving gloves". Very soft leather, a little fuzzy on the inside. They are not too bulky, so they live in the pockets of my favorite jacket. They have served me well at WSIKF, Pismo Beach, and any other place where I may want gloves while flying. I can not attach or take apart lines whole wearing them, but otherwise they are great.

Some years ago (read that as many years ago) I got a pair of "driving gloves". Very soft leather, a little fuzzy on the inside. They are not too bulky, so they live in the pockets of my favorite jacket. They have served me well at WSIKF, Pismo Beach, and any other place where I may want gloves while flying. I can not attach or take apart lines whole wearing them, but otherwise they are great.

That is what I liked about the sailing gloves. Fingers tips are free to handle the knots. Sure the tips will get cold in time, but know where near as quick as without them.

@--Pete - Winter Silks is a great recommendation! Competitively priced for sure. I have a warm jacket, but it is way too big and bulky to comfortably fly in. A thermal and a good hoodie should set me up for the winter.

@ mbro - I know, I know laugh.gifsmiley-blushing.gif and it's not even close to 38 degrees yet either, not till late January - been around 50 for the last week or so! 50 degrees and I'm freezing my kid_cussing.gifoff! I'm not cut out for the cold weather, but I am glad we are having a decently cold winter in Las Vegas this year.

@ Jim Foster - Ah, I will check out a pair of driving gloves next time I'm at the store. Thanks for the recommendation!

@ RevWizard - I will check out some fingerless sailing gloves too. Thanks again for reminding me about the usefulness of the hoodie smiley-blushing.gif I wasn't trying to be a smartie with my last reply; I own 2 hooded sweatshirts, and it honestly didn't occur to me to use the hood for warmth, till I read your reply! wacko.gif I was using them as "fashion" hoodies laugh.gif

• 3 months later...

Found some great gloves a couple of months ago: reasonably warm, very thin, windproof and water resistant. Best of all, they allow me to feel my Rev handles or dual straps much better than any of the other gloves I have tried.

I found them at REI for $30. They are made by Manzella. Here's the URL: http://www.rei.com/search?search=gloves&jxBrand=Manzella&hist=query%2Cgloves%5EjxBrand%2CManzella

Or just go to REI and search for Manzella gloves.

I've had pretty good luck with a pair of "convertible" mittens when it gets well below freezing. These are fingerless gloves with a sort of foldover mitten that stays in place or out of the way with velcro. I fly with the mittens in place and fold them back out of the way to expose finger tips if I have to deal with knots, etc. They do isolate you a bit from the feel of the handles, but they've allowed to me to fly for hours when my hands would have been to numb to feel the handles otherwise.

These are similar to what I use.