My version of No Snag Handles

LS Kite Stakes

Got busy out in the shop, these are fresh off the lathe. I replaced the metal triangles and black caps with a machined and polished aluminum end, with one hole drilled and deburred for the pigtail to tie to. Here is the result:

post-2174-1228279313_thumb.jpgpost-2174-1228279347_thumb.jpg

I haven't had the chance to use them yet, will give them a try a Chambers Henge the next time I get out there to fly!

I like these, but is there any way to get the hole (where the line runs through) closer the the end?

As animated as I am, I'd actually swing the top leader around the tip at times... If it was closer, wouldn't happen.

Let me know, and I may be interested in paying you to mod some handles for me, if you're up for it?

No problem getting it (a lot) closer, I can also tune the handle length by making the tips longer or shorter. I am not going to make a bunch of these, mainly because of limited matierial on hand, and I need the handles on hand to modify. I also have other irons in the fire I need to tend to. But for you John, you bet! ;)

Awesome, thanks!

We'll want to look at setting those plugs up so as to not effect the over all length of the handle (position of the leaders too)... It's amazing how comfortable I've become with the stock measurements, down to the actual thickness of the foam and tubing, I've become very sensitive. :)

Drop me an email, when you're ready to take a whack at it.

No problem getting it (a lot) closer, I can also tune the handle length by making the tips longer or shorter. I am not going to make a bunch of these, mainly because of limited matierial on hand, and I need the handles on hand to modify.
But you could do the ends alone for people to insert themselves. Just a thought

The problem with a kit is it would require the buyer to have certain tools to modify their own handles, way more than the simple screw driver, pliers and hammer. I had to cut about 1/4" ( 1cm) from each end with a cut off tool, then dress the ends with files and countersinks so they were straight and square. The inserts are a press fit and had to be carefully hammered in. I had made a wood block with a hole drilled in it just the right size so I could clamp the handles in the vice without damaging them. Due to differences on the handles out there, I could not guaranty the inserts would actually fit, and the possibility of destroying the handles in the process is very high.

Another thought for a "kit".

And I accept you may well not want to make them up for any number of reasons.

Thought it might be another income for you!!

Not sure how accuatly Rev handles are made. I would presume that are made to a certain tolerance.

If this is the case, what about a push in fitting with a roll pin which needs tapping into the existing clip hole in the handles. Then use the plastic sleeve to cover this up.

Hey presto no need for pressing the ends in. you end up with a tidy, no snag set.

Disadvantage, it would alter that length of JB's handles so they would feel strange to him.

I honestly think non Super Humans will not feel the difference.

Just a thought!!

As Walt says for an end plug type kit to work you would need some decent metal working kit, the handle ends I have seen have been quite burred by the cutting and drilling process.

Revflyer, I did try a set of inserts with end drilling on one of my handle sets (not Rev handles) problem was the amount of rotation or torque I put on the handles when flying showed wear on the leader in just a mornings flying due to the line constantly swiveling around over the end of the plug under load, it did not feel good either, the inserts were replaced with something nearer to those Walt has shown, my inserts are made from Nylon 66, as I say not Rev handles, 12mm aluminium tube.

I do have one set of handles with a nice set of hardwood inserts made by friend Pete, they make for something a little different.

The rounded end cap with the leader coming out the end sure seems like the best solution for eliminating those wraps and snags on the handles when you're whacking away (I too feel your pain John). It sounds like countersinking/radiusing the hole isn't enough to prevent fraying the leader though.

It wouldn't require many tools to install them. Screwdriver and/or pliars to remove the Hog rings, small Rat tail file for any burrs (the ones for sharpening chain saws have nice fine teeth).

Personally prefer longer handles (13" & best of all 15") so adding an inch or so would be a plus. I don't have access to a lathe, so if the caps become available, I'd love to get a set or two.

You may be onto a "must have" accessory there Walt (bling, bling). Hope something like those come out someday, good luck with it and nice job.

There are several threads on this very topic, which I love so I have tried several of the mods mentioned.

I have a set with the lines coming out of the end of the end cap and although it works great and is a pleasure to fly it does tend to fray the line around the cap. Line is not expensive and if you keep an eye on it and replace it when it gets thin. It should be ok. Picture here When I order 8 new end caps mentioning the reason I was getting them Lolly simply said "Oh, like the indoor."

Then I tried the cotter pin out of the end trick. Sweet! So far I like this the best as there is not as much fraying. Although I didn't use the extension Check out Steveb's pics. Then look at that whole thread for a ton of ideas.

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?s=...ost&p=21357

Instead of boring a hole through the end of the cap horizontally, bore one through the bottom of the cap vertically and then knot it inside of the existing handles. That way the leader line runs through the bottom of the cap and then fastens inside the handle where it is impossible to snag on anything.

Just a thought.

I was also going to say that if the knot is "sealed" inside you have to strip the handles down to replace it.

Not a thing you might be able to easily do out in the field. Might just spoil your day.

Personaly I make sure I go flying with more tan one kite, lines, handles, ground stakes etc.

Learnt my lesson whil having a FANTASTIC Day Fly Fishing, that was till I busted my rod. Now always take 2.

I like the ones in the first post as the leaders are larks headed on. Easy to replace.

Walt, I hope you end up figuring out a kit version. Those look almost as nice as your stakes. I know this might defeat the purpose. Can the plugs be held in place by putting a pin through the original clip holes? I don't know if I am thinking correctly on that.

The handles I did the modification to have the holes for the triangles cut off. I really do not recommend anyone without proper tools to try to remove the triangles and caps. There are some NASTY burrs that can be hidden under the caps. These burrs are from the hole being drilled through the cap and metal tube for the triangles. I Have a 1 inch long gash on the pad of my right thumb caused by a burr when I removed the cap on one of the handles. I may consider making solid aluminum handles with the snag less ends if I can find a supplier of the foam grips. This is a ways off, I am working on another BIGGER project. That project is at least 2 months away from completion, but will be worth the wait!

i got some titianium tubeing from my job a while back and made some handles with it .. its to soft for heavy wind flights but for lightwinds they work great the downside to them is that i have to re bend them sometimes but they do fine for me .. they wont be worthy of full production as i cant get enough tubing and i got this stuff as scrap..the other reason is that to put a handleout there it has to be worthy of everyone to use with might be for this design but i just kept as the 2 handle sets i made.. 1 15 inch and 1 13 inch..

The handles I did the modification to have the holes for the triangles cut off. I really do not recommend anyone without proper tools to try to remove the triangles and caps. There are some NASTY burrs that can be hidden under the caps. These burrs are from the hole being drilled through the cap and metal tube for the triangles. I Have a 1 inch long gash on the pad of my right thumb caused by a burr when I removed the cap on one of the handles. I may consider making solid aluminum handles with the snag less ends if I can find a supplier of the foam grips. This is a ways off, I am working on another BIGGER project. That project is at least 2 months away from completion, but will be worth the wait!

The stuff for the foam is Hyperlon or Duplon from fishing rod makers ?