Flying with Rev's - Traveling with a Revolution Kite

jimfielder

For a cement to use on the ferrules, I would think a slow set epoxy would be best. Super glue sets way too brittle, and as mentioned, really needs a tight fit to bond right. Just my 2 cents......

Hot glue that way you can get them out if/when they move + if you carry a hot glue stick and a lighter with you , you can make repairs on the field :)

Hot glue that way you can get them out if/when they move + if you carry a hot glue stick and a lighter with you , you can make repairs on the field :)

Gary,

I had planned on using epoxy if when mine moved, but the hot glue sounds like it could be a better idea since it's a little more flexible. The hot glue that archers use to hold the aluminum inserts into fiberglass arrow shafts would seem to be the best. That glue holds well through some tremendous impacts and flexing.

My only concern would be how heat would affect the epoxy that Rev uses to hold the carbon fibers in place. In RC airplane modelling, heat is used to disassemble epoxy joints. A little heat from a heat gun and the epoxy structure will deteriorate such that balsa joints can be safely taken apart. Wonder if Ben would give us some guidance on the use of heat on Rev rods?

Cheers,

Tom

Gary,

I had planned on using epoxy if when mine moved, but the hot glue sounds like it could be a better idea since it's a little more flexible. The hot glue that archers use to hold the aluminum inserts into fiberglass arrow shafts would seem to be the best. That glue holds well through some tremendous impacts and flexing.

My only concern would be how heat would affect the epoxy that Rev uses to hold the carbon fibers in place. In RC airplane modelling, heat is used to disassemble epoxy joints. A little heat from a heat gun and the epoxy structure will deteriorate such that balsa joints can be safely taken apart. Wonder if Ben would give us some guidance on the use of heat on Rev rods?

Cheers,

Tom

The last time I had to get a ferrule out I just held it under the hot tap at home , I think Rev use hot glue anyway

Are the rods numbered, or is it really easy to figure out where they go? That's an awful lot of parts. :?

All rods are the same length... some have a ferrule, some not...

Two (one with/one without) for each upright, the rest for the LE.

If I (being blonde) can figure it out, almost anyone can! Even a man! :boxing:

The only quirky part is making sure you get the ferrules right (not too many - not too few), just cut and lay 'em out like a Rev frame, then add ferrules accordingly... Assembly is easy, ferrules tell the tale. ;)

John,

Maybe you know the answer on the amount of heat the Rev rods will take before they weaken. I've never had problems with arrow shafts ... just keep applying heat with a heat gun until the hot melt glue softens. Are the Rev shafts comparable?

Also, are the ferrules 3 1/2 inches long?

Cheers,

Tom

The following is only my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt!

The heat the carbon fiber rods can take would be about the same as a hollow fiberglass rod. The resin is the limiting factor, and can probably take @ 150F before it starts to break down. Hot glue is a great suggestion, flexable when hard, can be removed if needed, not much wieght if used sparingly, and fills small gaps well.

All rods are the same length... some have a ferrule, some not...

Two (one with/one without) for each upright, the rest for the LE.

If I (being blonde) can figure it out, almost anyone can! Even a man! :boxing:

Okay, since my bracket sketch might not be clear for us non-blonds, I did a quick power-point slide of what the rods should look like.

Cheers,

Tom

post-2169-1230422048_thumb.jpg