Flying with Rev's - Traveling with a Revolution Kite

jimfielder

This topic has been tossed around for a bit. However now that airlines have added per bag charges, adding a golf/ski/fishing case adds extra bucks that makes one wonder what options are out there.

On our recent trip from Seattle to NC, I used for a Prism Zypher Kite case as carry on. I had a 2 B-series, Std and Vented and a variety of extra frame sets (one each 4, 3, 2 wrap sets and two sets of Race Rods) in the case. In my suitcase I had two kites without the frames. The Prism case passed security without any questions asked. In fact one airline staff, not TSA, referred to it as a musical instrument. The frameless kites in my suitcase had no significant impact on it's weight.

The week before I left on the trip, I was on the phone with Lolly and she mentioned a "travel frame" that breaks down to have a smaller length so they will fit into a suitcase. So has anyone tried or is anyone using these frames?

My Prism case works like a dream for two kites, but sometimes I want to take a few more along without having to pay the extra fees.

Any ideas? :wacko:

This topic has been tossed around for a bit. However now that airlines have added per bag charges, adding a golf/ski/fishing case adds extra bucks that makes one wonder what options are out there.

On our recent trip from Seattle to NC, I used for a Prism Zypher Kite case as carry on. I had a 2 B-series, Std and Vented and a variety of extra frame sets (one each 4, 3, 2 wrap sets and two sets of Race Rods) in the case. In my suitcase I had two kites without the frames. The Prism case passed security without any questions asked. In fact one airline staff, not TSA, referred to it as a musical instrument. The frameless kites in my suitcase had no significant impact on it's weight.

The week before I left on the trip, I was on the phone with Lolly and she mentioned a "travel frame" that breaks down to have a smaller length so they will fit into a suitcase. So has anyone tried or is anyone using these frames?

My Prism case works like a dream for two kites, but sometimes I want to take a few more along without having to pay the extra fees.

Any ideas? :wacko:

I purchased a heavy plastic (screw top) artwork cylinder (approx. 34" long expandable to 42" x 6" diameter). It will hold 4 bagged REV kites and extra spars. I contacted NWA (which I am flying) regarding the kites. They said if the cylinder is less than 38" long I can carry it on and store overhead. They confirmed the above with an email response for my records. If I run into any problens at check-in I will have that for proof of acceptance. This will be my first airlines trip with my kites, I'm hoping all goes well.

Jynx

I used to manage a Egghead store, and they shipped marketing material in a heavy cardboard tube with caps on each end. one end is taped heavily with a luggage tag sticking out the other has enough to keep the cap on. It measures 51" x 4'" dia. I have always carried it on and put into overhead, even on the regional jets, I seem to remember flying a turbo-prop about the size of a tin can, and the attendant stored it with the suit bags. I always thought if I had a problem the tube would survive the luggage hold. I have taken quite a few combination of kites, some broken down some not. Latest trip to Detroit in June, 2 revs 2 quantums and a nexus, handles and lines, and a roll of packing tape for the return trip. I get strange looks at security, most people think they are fishing poles. I wish I had grabbed another, but the one I have is still strong, been using it for about 20 years.

I made what I refer to as a "street frame"... Took an extra race frame, cut each spar in half, and added ferrules appropriately so that the whole frame breaks down to 1/2 the normal length.

Found it handy when going out on the town during travels, because I can take a whole 1.5 rig in my [huge baggy] back pockets, or a backpack... This way I can go to dinner, without my kite being a nuisance, and be able to fly on the spur of the moment if I find somewhere cool. ;)

Since this was for street use (light/no wind), I made sure to use hollow ferrules... But if you do it with a heavier weight frame (i.e. higher wind) for regular use, be sure to use appropriate ferrules, maybe solid for 3-4 wrap frames.

I made what I refer to as a "street frame"... Took an extra race frame, cut each spar in half, and added ferrules appropriately so that the whole frame breaks down to 1/2 the normal length.

Found it handy when going out on the town during travels, because I can take a whole 1.5 rig in my [huge baggy] back pockets, or a backpack... This way I can go to dinner, without my kite being a nuisance, and be able to fly on the spur of the moment if I find somewhere cool. ;)

Since this was for street use (light/no wind), I made sure to use hollow ferrules... But if you do it with a heavier weight frame (i.e. higher wind) for regular use, be sure to use appropriate ferrules, maybe solid for 3-4 wrap frames.

This is what I was looking for, thanks John. ;)

So have you done it on 3 or 4 wrap frames? I am curious if it effects the feel/flex/etc.

Do you see any effects on the Race rods?

Ya, effects the weight/flex a little... But honestly, what are you going to do? ;)

I do recommend however, that where you cut the spars, you also put a single 1/2" strip of packing tape (with the strings in it) around the ends, same effect as wrapping a fishing rod or cue stick with thread and resin... The ends of Rev spars are typically reinforced (for good reason), they won't be where you are cutting.

Clever! What a great idea!

Could carry one on my cycle (in the side bags). Gotta make a set!

Thanks for the info!

Wondered why not heard of this before.

I assumed wrapped rev rods might not like being cut in half (thanks for the tips John) so did this with P400 LE and P90 verts - fits lovely in my backpack for walks. Big Bri flew it at Chester where there was very little wind - seemed to like it. I've been up to 20mph with vented sail with no probs.

Richard

ps Rev-cookie cutter finished - just gotta bake some now.

I went to FL on a plane and I ended up using a folding chair case (you know those camping chairs) as my kite bag. It was perfect; it held my two kites and had room for about 6 more I'd say. I just carried my kites on the plane with me and packed my lines and handels in my luggage (in case the handels looked like guns and in case the lines were considered a threat because of the strangulation capabilities). But thinking about it when I got off the plane, packing my handels seperately would not have been a good idea if they got lost, . A couple of security people joked around with me and said, "Don't you know you're not supposed to bring a bazooka on the plane?" It was kind of funny. THen one of the flight attendants asked me, "Did you bring that in case there weren't any seats left? " becuase she obviously thought it was a folding camping chair.

John,

Maybe you should think about making travel spars. I know quite a few people that would gladly buy them from you. What does everybody else think?

I went to FL on a plane and I ended up using a folding chair case (you know those camping chairs) as my kite bag. It was perfect; it held my two kites and had room for about 6 more I'd say. I just carried my kites on the plane with me and packed my lines and handels in my luggage (in case the handels looked like guns and in case the lines were considered a threat because of the strangulation capabilities). But thinking about it when I got off the plane, packing my handels seperately would not have been a good idea if they got lost, . A couple of security people joked around with me and said, "Don't you know you're not supposed to bring a bazooka on the plane?" It was kind of funny. THen one of the flight attendants asked me, "Did you bring that in case there weren't any seats left? " becuase she obviously thought it was a folding camping chair.

John,

Maybe you should think about making travel spars. I know quite a few people that would gladly buy them from you. What does everybody else think?

I did exactly the same on my recent trip to Argentina, included kites and extra rods in the case and I had no problems at all. My handles were in the check in luggage just in case.

Cheers

Mario

John,

NEWS... FRESH OFF THE PRESS!

Just spoke to Ben at REV...

He DOES make the 4-wrap travel frames.

For further information, including prices and availabilty, contact him directly.

Mine are on the way... (once he has a chance to chop a set!)

Jynx

and... Thanks Much, Ben!

Wonder if he'll do Race frames too...

Between Race and 4 wrap, you'd be well covered for a small kit.

Ben suggested the 4 wrap because of the break-down strength issue. It sounded as if the 4-wrap is the only break-down sets he makes (I could be wrong)... what the heck do I know about this kinda stuff anyway??????????? I just pretend to know!

Have I fooled anyone?

NewBeeMe

Just spoke to Ben at REV...

He DOES make the 4-wrap travel frames.

For further information, including prices and availability, contact him directly.

Mine are on the way... (once he has a chance to chop a set!)

Jynx

Received my travel spars today...

They are expertly cut and look great! They fit perfectly in my Harley side bags... Will never leave home without 'em!

Ben - Thanks for the stupendous job and lightning delivery in time for my Christmas giving! (To Me!) :clap;

I owe ya a cold one:big_beer:!

Received my travel spars today...

They are expertly cut and look great! They fit perfectly in my Harley side bags... Will never leave home without 'em!

Ben - Thanks for the stupendous job and lightning delivery in time for my Christmas giving! (To Me!) :clap;

I owe ya a cold one:big_beer:!

See now that's too cool on so many levels...:ani_punk:

• 2 weeks later...

with the upgrade race rod offer in the b pro series, i had an extra set of rods for modification...results of a 30 minute project...used dremel to cut, rev tape was enough to protect cut...super glue for ferrules, had to re glue two, so use enough glue...rev has ferrules in two configurations solid & hollow...will ask oracle to make rod bag, & then design bag for sail rolled around rods...g

post-1725-1230226210_thumb.jpg

post-1725-1230226218_thumb.jpg

with the upgrade race rod offer in the b pro series, i had an extra set of rods for modification...results of a 30 minute project...used dremel to cut, rev tape was enough to protect cut...super glue for ferrules, had to re glue two, so use enough glue...rev has ferrules in two configurations solid & hollow...will ask oracle to make rod bag, & then design bag for sail rolled around rods...g

You talked about "one" extra set of rods for modification. I'm assuming that you cut each of the five rods in half ... yes? If so, then one rod with a ferrule is missing from the pictures ... yes?

Since the object was to make a very short set of travel rods, did you consider not adding a ferrule to both ends of any of the rods? The verticals are obvious ... cut one vertical rod in half and add a ferrule. With the leading edge, you would cut the three rods in half ... two halves will automatically have ferrules. By adding ferrules to one end of three of the rods, you could still reassemble the leading edge by using the same amount of ferrules. However, you would thus avoid the problem of the extra length associated with the double ferruled rod. That would reduce the overall length of the one rod 1 3/4 inches.

With the normal 1.5 set of rods, it's no problem with the center section having two ferrules ... they're already too long to get into a suitcase. But when you're trying to make them as short as "reasonably" possible, avoiding the double ferruled rod looks like an advantage. The leading edge would look like this (the forum removes spaces, so imagine the ferrules glued into the left-hand rod and free to insert into the empty end of the right-hand rod):

[[[[]]]]-- [[[[]]]]-- [[[[]]]]-- [[[[]]]]-- [[[[]]]]-- [[[[]]]]

and the verticals would look like this:

[[[[]]]]-- [[[[]]]]

[[[[]]]]-- [[[[]]]]

That yields five rods cut in half and five ferrules added to the orginal two that were installed in the center rod.

Oh, one additional advantage ... you'd never have to contend with the problem of trying to remove a ferrule that came lose and was pushed in on the double ferruled rod.

Clear or confusing???

Cheers,

Tom

thanks tom...found the extra rod in my workshop...would have missed it on the first flight...you are also right on the ferrule arrangement on the leading edge...my first attempt at travel rods...had to break out the set & follow along with your words, being a visual person...will edit photos soon...thanks for the tips...glenn

Just made my first sets of rods using some Skyshark tubes. I was thinking about using Crazy Glue for the ferrules, but then realized it probably isn't the best tool for the job. It depends upon perfect surface-to-surface contact. Add to that the flexion etc of the rods. Haven't had any long term use, but decided to use a not-as-strong (but probably stronger in real life) contact cement.

BTW, I'm curious. With all those extra ferrule in place, are the rods stiffer?

Bob