Want a free Rev?

KiteLife

Noun/Adj. Nonsense, rubbish, bad. From the standard British English of pants, meaning underwear; also a variation on 'knickers'. E.g."The first half was pants but I stayed until the end and it was actually a great film."

Exclam. An exclamation of annoyance or frustration. From the noun, (above).

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the sentiment but please define PANTS!

quaa,

Stone in Shoe Bob took pity on me and shared this web site ... Pants!... quite awhile ago. The British English have taken so many liberties with the language, that it's imperative to keep it open when reading their posts.

Cheers,

Tom

Now where did I put my Nomex suit? Hmmm ... got to be around here someplace. Maybe I'll just make a break for the door,

Tom what gives with the bummer on the mum Tongue. Like, y'know do I look bovered in'it. Watever. ;)

I rest my case ...

Actually, the English language is probably the most difficult language to use for clarity in exchanging ideas between different nationalities. We have a hoard of shared words that have different meanings in our various countries ... or at least have additional meanings. When talking with someone who uses English as a second language, we tend to double and triple check to make sure we understand each other. But, when conversing with others, who use English as a first language, we tend to apply our understanding of the word and charge on ... invariably the conversation soon becomes high centered.

Heck, even within a single country there are countless differences. In sailing terms, to "run aground" means to run the ship/boat onto a spot of land such that you're stranded. Yes? Will along the outer banks of the US, it also means that you've eaten too much. Interesting use of the language, but not very helpful for keeping the exchange of ideas clear.

Computers, e-mail and text messaging have created their own sub-language. That's also not helping the mix, but that belongs in another thread.

I do love the English language in all of it's adaptations ... it keeps life interesting. Now, as you were saying!

YMMV,

Tom

I had not come across that meaning of run aground. I must research that when I have ADSL. If you know the history if please do let me know. It is bound to come from the joint grand banks fleets so may well have it's roots in Ireland.

As you say, back OT, nice prize you won there!

Well I have been lurking long enough, Jeepster talked me into joining the forums. I felt this was an appropriate start.

John - The kite you so graciously gave my dad is absolutely gorgeous. The pictures do not do it justice at all. I tried to talk him into selling it to me, but he said that would be poor form with such a nice kite and a great prize. I guess I will have to continue bumming flights from him.

Second, I work with a Brit and he brings constant chuckles to all those around with all of his slang. He in turn laughs at all of us and our American oddities.

Jamie

Aye, welcome Jamie. ;)

Watty has the milk and cookies, if you get peckish.

The darkside indeed, thank you all for the welcome, however I think my wife will need the milk and cookies though, she is the one who may get irritable the first time a $200 kite arrives. :P

I was thinking maybe all prices should be posted as a factor of ten lower than actual. That way when a spouse checks they will believe your story that it only cost $28.90 and it was such a good deal you need another.

The darkside indeed, thank you all for the welcome, however I think my wife will need the milk and cookies though, she is the one who may get irritable the first time a $200 kite arrives. :P

I was thinking maybe all prices should be posted as a factor of ten lower than actual. That way when a spouse checks they will believe your story that it only cost $28.90 and it was such a good deal you need another.

hahaha that's a splendid idea !

Welcome to the revside..

mousie

Now there's a very smart kiteflier.

Welcome to the dark side addiction.

Bet you can't have just one!

• 5 months later...
Hmmm....

long time ago I read in the rev-forum. Too long for getting one of the special REVs out of the "Kitelife-Edition".

May be next time ;-)

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Off topic!

You seem to be the only one in Germany that is on the REV forum at this time.

Could you open up a new topic and tell the rest of us about the REV scene in Germany?

John

• 2 months later...