Treasure Island Kite Festival

Jjames2006

201 AM EST WED JAN 14 2009

...ARCTIC AIR MOVING INTO THE TRI-STATE AREA...

ON THE HEELS OF A STRONG COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE EARLY THIS

MORNING...ARCTIC AIR WILL SURGE ACROSS THE AREA ON BRISK

NORTHWEST WINDS. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL SHARPLY OVER THE NEXT

SEVERAL HOURS...RESULTING IN THE FREEZING OF ANY STANDING WATER

ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS. IN ADDITION...THE STRONG

GUSTY WINDS AND FALLING TEMPERATURES WILL RESULT IN WIND CHILLS

NEAR OR SLIGHTLY BELOW ZERO ACROSS PARTS OF THE LOWER HUDSON

VALLEY...WITH THE SINGLE DIGITS ELSEWHERE.

ARE WE THERE YET???????????????

That's what's going on here too. AND it snowed here last night and everything's all white and glittery. I should get out and fly.....bye!!!!!!

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see you all Friday late morning. Im coming from warm to a little colder in tampa. For most of you tampa will be t-shirts and shorts for me it is bundle up. Thin florida blood.

What is the schedule for Friday night? Is that the auction night or is that Saturday night? Also is there room still for the dinner at sloppy joes?

See everyone on the beach Friday.

Adam.

One of our Sunset Flyers Members is unable to attend the Rev Clinic and has generously put the spot up as a scholarship.

If you have had a tough year and could not afford to take the clinic we want te hear from you.

To apply for the scholarship email us a brief story of why you want to be a part of the Rev Clinic.

Or if you know someone that is going to be there and would like to take the clinic and to proud to ask for the scholarship email us their story.

Here is the email address [email protected] or you can send us a PM.

This is what kiting is all about.. it warms my heart to see these kind of things happening at our festival.

Sherri

I nominate Adam for the Rev Clinic Scholarship!!!

Thank you all for the nomination for the Rev clinic. I really appreciate it. But, I feel that it should go to someone who truly cant afford it or had a really hard time this past year. Also i will not be arriving till after lunch on friday. Thanks again for the kind thoughts.

Cant wait to see everyone,

Adam

Good news rev clinic participants,

Lunch will be provided by our local neighborhood deli ... thanks publics

That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<if possible.....please tell them there is one vegetarian....thanks>

{if not, no big deal. Scott would have no problem eating my share}

I thought I would try my best to keep you all updated on what's going on here.

We started Thursday off with Steve loading the Uhaul with all the festival gear, I on the other hand headed out to the airport to pick up the early arrivials. Dad and I loaded these crazy people from New Jersey into our cars and headed for the beach!

We had a great afternoon of flying, I was freezing in the 60 degree weather and they were loving it. Those that had never been here before were amazed by our beautiful white sand. wide and 4 mile long beach.

By the days end there were 6 Rev fliers out playing on the beach and Alden had given two people some quick flying lessons. The sunset was clouded over but still dazzeling to our visiters.

As we headed out for dinner at the local bar, John and Ben arrived as tired as they were they still greeted everyone with a smile and a hug and we sent them off to get some rest. Nine of us enjoyed a dinner together and I went to bed early, I don't know what the rest of the crew did but I'd heard something about getting ice cream (in this weather?)

It's early Friday morning.. 5 am and I'm looking forward to day. Looks like it's going to be a cold one with maybe some big winds as this cold front moves in (I told them not to pack so much clod weather is their bags).

Sherri

Pictures? LOL. Laura is there. I haven't been to one fly w. her w.o. her camera....

And yes, 60F may be cold to you Floridians, but I'm sitting here in my living room, the thermometer says 14F, and I'm wondering how badly do I want to go outside on this cold, crisp day. Sheesh. "Crisp" really should be reserved only for lettuce.

Have fun all! Keep us up to date, and plan something a little closer to the NY/NJ area!

I woke up today to a strange sound. After a quick look around the house I realized the heater had kicked on! :o Oh crap, I hate cold. No matter, I am off to TI in a few minutes to fly for 3 days. Laughing and flying with friends will warm the insides once I get there.

Day one....

Wow was it was cold yesterday!! But the sun was shinning and the wind was blowing..

The Rev clinic started with a group of hungery students so I feed them donuts and John Barresi. There were quite a few newbies in the group including Delaney our youngest flier at 11 years old. As John was pouring his Rev knowledge out on them I headed in to decorate the lobby of the host hotel.

It was fun to watch people come in and admire the beautiful single lines we had hung. The best part was when Rev fliers saw the Neos Omega (#11) and commented that they had never seen one before and hubby Steve was telling the history of the kite.

By mid afternoon all the students were flying their Revs along the shore line and John was making his way down the beach to give some one on one time with each of them. Off in the distance there were kites of all kinds and the hotel lobby was busy with fliers checking in.

I finally made it out to the field by 5 pm and gathered the Rev-O-Lettes using Smitty as a stand in to fly our routine. The winds held up all day and into the evening. There were a few die hards on the beach flying Revs with cool flashing lights. I peeked out my window at 10 pm and they were still playing...

Today should be warmer and the sun will shine again. Looks like we'll have the wind as well.

Sherri

I finally made it out to the field by 5 pm and gathered the Rev-O-Lettes using Smitty as a stand in to fly our routine.

Hey Sherri

I hope someone is recording the debut performance - oh, and did Smitty have to wear the team uniform (and wig)? :)

Sounds as if you've had a great start to the festival. Have a great time (everyone) and you can be assured that Rev flyers in colder spots all around the world are jealous of you all. :P

Tried to put some pics up but did not work. Had a great time today. Lots of sun and ok wind. About after three the wind just died. Left after that. But lots of kits in the air and at one time counted 11 revs in the air just not flying in the same spot. Had a great time and will be back next year.

The day started wih some wind and beautiful sunny day. After some issues with the building blocking the wind that was coming from the east, I was humbled to watch about a dozen guys gather together and move the demo field down the beach about 200 feet in less than 20 minutes.

Lots of Revs up in the air for most of the morning. Some cool dual line demos in main field and a fighter kite demo to wow the crowd.

The wind did die down in the afternoon but the Rev-O-lettes did take to the field for a few moments. Happening off the field was a lot of the public asking tons of questions about kite flying and they were given lots of info on where we fly and all were invited to come back and join us.

The resturant was filled with hungry kiters delighted by the Kew West style menu. The auction was a blast! Smitty gave a entertaining performance as he sold off one kite after another. The buys were unbelievable!!!

Hoping for better winds today. We're going to do a Mega Fly as soon as the first winds come through..

Sherri

One of the most awesome experiences in my life...

My highlight, bar-none, was flying with 9 of the most wonderfully patient kiters ever! John, and the others, took me under their wings and gave me an experience of a life time! I actually did a team fly!... I still don't believe it! With the greatest gratitude ever (and a tears in my eyes) I thank all those involved for "making my day"!

I would also like to thank Sherri and Steve for organizing the festival. Everything went off without a hitch, thanks to them. My friend, who accompanied me to Treasure Island (and who has had two years of shear hell) was the recipient of the donated clinic registration. Who ever you are a big thank you for bringing some sunshine, and a new obsession, into her life! It will certainly help her on her road to better days!

Many of us took photos, I even have some video of the 15 person team fly... which was incredible to watch, and hear, as the crowd reacted with their ooooos and awwwws! as well as applause/s!

(Those who attended get ahold of me and I'll send you a disc when I get back).

What a weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm off to Louisiana for a Habitat build tomorrow morning. I leave with a kiting-grin from ear to ear! Did I tell you I was a member of a ten person team flight??????? Just in case you missed it... I was a member of a ten person team flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Thanks again to Sherri and Scott for making our weekend so awesome! :clap;:clap;:clap;

PS Rick and Alden don't play fair!

All I can say is WOW!!!!

Sunday started out with a light wind and plenty of sun. Hubby Steve took his 8 stack out to the main field and we had an awesome time flying this monster of a kite! John and Ben came over and gave us some pointers and help to give the stack some fine tuning.

Just as we put the stack away the winds started to come up to the point of perfection for the rest of the day. The Rev-O-Lettes made their first appearence. I have to say that it was a lovely routine and I thank my fellow team mates (Laura, Lisa, Cath) for making my dream come true of an all female flying team.

Following the Rev-O-Lettes came the Mega Fly! For me there is no bigger rush than flying with 17 people!! John your the bomb!! The crowed standing around the field was in awe.

We saw a Hyper Kite routine by Jackie that was beautiful. Lisa and Smitty did a fine quad line ballet as well.

The public was having a wonderful time. Kids and adults were running bolls and the candy drop had at least 75 kids running for candy. The best part was watching those that had never flown a kite espicially the adults launching simple single line kites and giggling like school kids.

The day ended with the mystery ballet and all did a great job! Thanks to all who helped with the break down and loading the truck up. After the last box was put in the truck and the sun was setting in the Gulf I looked over and saw a 10 Rev fliers out near the shore line still going at it and I could hear their laughfter as I walked around to give out some hugs before I left the beach.

I'm sure the pictures will start popping up soon .I'm still here at the beach getting ready to do some flying.

The list of people to thank is to long to post. Ben always says "Rev fliers are truly a family and that will be our legacy"

From the bottom of my heart Thank you my Rev Family.

Sherri

Oh my god, what a blast! It was amazing people, amazing weather and amazing flying. What else do you really need? Thanks Sherri and Steve for your gracious hospitality! You made me feel right at home. This was a weekend that went by way tooooooo fast, but the memories will last a lifetime.

I finally was able to put a face to some of my cyber rev buds...very cool! Denny, you're a great guy. Jynx, keep at it, "ride those rails". MelnScott, it was soooooooo great to see you again! Mel, rock on.... you're truly awesome in every way. Ben- you are a special man, thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything. JB, house your voice this morning after calling the mega fly? That was f'n awesome!!! Thank you, thank you. The Rev-O-Lettes routine was very cool. I had a great time with you ladies, thank you so much. When can we do it, again?

Many shout outs to you all to try and mention, but you know who you are! When you're in the NJ area, come fly our "sandboxe", any time.

A huge group hug to you all!

4.gif

Yes, there's photos.... perhaps tonight....right now, I need a nap. I only slept about three hours last night... my computer is having issues (perhaps some sort of separation anxiety).... I hope it's just that... lol.