Coming soon. . .

jimfielder

I feel compelled to bring this up. Please do not take offense to the comments below. I will try to be brief and to the point, but don't count on it. I feel I have lots of friends here, both sides of the pond. So here goes!

I have worked in the healthcare field since the mid 70's. I'm a Respiratory Care Practitioner and have worked with folks of all ages. My specialty is with premature infants and pediatric patients. However I have spent my fair share of time with people with chronic lung disease and lung cancer. As I have grown older, I've learned the joys of not only treating my patients, but my interactions with them. Some of them bitter as every breath is a struggle and some of them wondering what they can do to warn others so that "others" do not suffer with the same fate as they are dealing with. Namely their lungs that have been ravaged by cigarette smoking. Most of them finally have realized their behavior that was suggested to them at an early age, became so hard to give up, and in a lot of cases when the diagnosis of COPD or lung cancer finally hits, it was beyond quitting to help the problem.

The baby-boomers among us are seeing the onset of some aging disorders. My story is around my knees. This year I have had two knee surgeries and now am in the midst of rehab for both of them. The last knee was my major wakeup call. It's damage was more severe that the first, more painful and required a longer surgery. I'm not talking knee replacement, however my doctor says that is a possibility in the future. However, I have damage and that is what I am working to change some behaviors and lifestyle issues to make my future brighter.

So I have lost around 40 pounds, I'm doing PT 3 days a week. I've added low impact workouts to my daily routine, and will be doing some "knee-lube" injections starting in January and then once a year till ?????

Bottom line is this I've had the wakeup call and I am responding.

Every year on the beach I see folks out flying kites, having a great time being active in the out of doors. And every year I am amazed at the amount of smokers I see with kite lines in their hands. Then I return to work and help a patient who struggles for every breath. I can't tell you how many times, they have looked at me and ask me if I smoke and then tell me, actually beg me to stop if I do. I don't smoke, but I grew up with a 3 pack a day smoker and I did try it in college. Never enough or long enough to get the addiction started. However, almost daily I see the effects of the worlds most common addiction.

Okay, here's my suggestion - The Great American Smokeout (you British buddies may join also), give it a real try this year. There are some amazing smoking cessation programs out there and some amazing drugs that will easy the pain of quitting.

I know a couple of people on this forum that I have spoken to in the past and they have shared their success stories with me. If you guys/gals want to share your experience, feel free to speak up a help set an example. Cutting back helps, quitting helps even more. But just think, figure up your smoking habit cost and figure how many Pro B Series you could buy this year if you quit. Even better, you'll feel better and have a great set of new kites to enjoy.

I wish all the best to you if you smoke and feel the need to quit.

Enough preaching, now go back and fly a kite.

PM me if you want some resource info, or call (US only) 1-800-QUIT NOW. :blue-grin: (blue smiley for that lack of oxygen look) :confused!:

come January 1, 2009... my fiance & I will be smoke free for 3years... I am very thankful that we did it together, we both quit cold turkey... (the first 2months of mood swings are horrable! lol)

Good Luck to all!

I'm in support of all who try! Its definately not an easy thing to do but sooo worth it!!

January 7th, 2009 will make 2 years smoke free for me. I am amazed by how much things have changed. I can taste and smell things that I have not been able to for who knows how long. I no longer worry about being able to smoke. I notice just how much smoking smells, and how far away I can smell it. How much damage smoking in my home has done to my home and every object in it, in the 17 years I smoked in it. I can now be tickled and laugh without breaking out in a coughing fit. I can do moderate exercise without becoming completely out of breath. One side effect that was not expected was not only did food and drink taste so much better, but I have gained about 40lbs in the process! :kid_brooding:

Congrats to all of you who have succeeded!

They say quitting smoking is harder than getting off of heroin. That's a scary thought! The alternative of lung disease, lung CA (cancer) or struggling for every breath, is even scarier!

I wish everyone who tries to quit the will, determination and ultimately, the success to beat it!

My Wife quit the habit when we got married, goodness almost 20 Years ago now. I am afraid I can not say that I have. I have probably had abot 15 fags and 10 Cigars so far this year. so I dont smoke much, however I do smoke.

We bothe have spent a long time within the Health Service, my Wife as a Nurse and I as a Paramedic. As such we have been close to many forms of Death. Lung Cancer is one of the ones that can not be reccomended given a choice. It is not only distressing to the patient, but to all around them.

I remember being shocked when I used to attend Post Mortems and the differences inside the body from a smoker to a non smoker. Not just the Lungs but many of the organs are affected by smoke.

Quitting any habit is not an easy thing and I applaud the sentiment and objective of the above posts.

We NEED to fully educate the young to stop the habit forming. I dont know about the US but it is much less socially acceptable to smoke in the UK. Folks are forced togo stand outside the workplace in the cold and wet if they want to smoke. I was with a guy yesterday who admits to having a fag at least each half an Hour, I was teaching him to drive off road. At the start he asked if we could stop a few times to smoke, I said it was his lungs!! We spent over 3 Hours together and he was so entertained he didnt stop once. He went home with something to think about!!

About the only down side I see to folks generally kicking the habit is in the UK you are not allowed to smoke in bars and clubs etc, instead of the horrid smell of smoke you now get a distinct aroma of BO. The GOOD news, never herad of folks dying from BO!!

Thanks, Jim, for the long winded post :)

Why do they call it 'cold turkey'? Is it because the smoke-out day was on Thanksgiving in years past?

Hmmmm....

Anyway.....I did the cold turkey thing on May 9th. :)

Piece of cake! So glad I did it!! :)

Geezer is contemplating it....maybe the hypnotic route....when he's ready. :)

Now tell us how you lost the 40 lbs? Cuz since May 9th....I have added about 20 lbs that I am ready to shed! :)

Good luck to all who are ready to quit! :)

T

Thanks, Jim, for the long winded post :)

Why do they call it 'cold turkey'? Is it because the smoke-out day was on Thanksgiving in years past?

Hmmmm....

Anyway.....I did the cold turkey thing on May 9th. :)

Piece of cake! So glad I did it!! :)

Geezer is contemplating it....maybe the hypnotic route....when he's ready. :)

Now tell us how you lost the 40 lbs? Cuz since May 9th....I have added about 20 lbs that I am ready to shed! :)

Good luck to all who are ready to quit! :)

T

Welldone Theresa,and everyone who has kicked it

BRIAN...

Guest QuadQrazy
I have probably had abot 15 fags so far this year.

It's a good thing that I know in the UK thay call cigarettes fags because here in the US that term is completely different.

My dad smoked for 15 years, and quit, and also gained weight, and thay say chewing gum helps, and also play with a coin because your hands need something to do.

I never smoked, and it was tough living with a smoker everything stunk.

The only thing you should smoke is beef ribs ...yummy.

I never smoked, and it was tough living with a smoker everything stunk.

The only thing you should smoke is beef ribs ...yummy.

Another non-smoker here, for exactly the same reason as QuadQrazy. My father gave up more times than I can remember (never really lasted); smoking was the cause of his demise thro' clogging of the arteries. For any of you saying goodbye to tobacco, I wish you every success. ...and it leaves both hands free for the Rev's handles!

I'd add kippers to permissible smokies - but I rather suspect they may use wood rather than 'baccy in the process!