REV up the VOTE!

AldenMiller

Dont wana be political at all.I hate Polatics and i know its not realy welcome here[if ya like].

Can i ask a question of my freinds over the pond[or Ponds].

When we have an Election over this side of the pond.Do you get informed or is it Big News over ther.Is it just a passing mention about whats heppening over here.

I ask,because we are Force Fed the Elections in the USA.It seems to go on for ever,i dont know anyone realy that talks or brings it up in Conversation[or cares realy],but everytime we turn our TVs on,open a News Paper,etc,etc.Thers someones Opinion on stuff.Like whos winning,whos favourite,the pros and cons of the Candidates,the full life History.This goes on for months over here.

I know we may have some folk here that are from the USA and for them its Kewl.

So,do you guys get Blair/Brown,The Quenn,The FA CUP,Wimbledon[Whoever] and the rest of um on TV over here.Rammed down yr throat over ther

.Sorry if its a high Jack Aiden,but ive been dying to ask.I also agree with your Thread Content mate.

,Go + vote if ya havent.If ya dont.One day they may decide for you/us :).

ta

BRIAN...Curiosity Burnt the Cat..... :rolleyes:

For those of you on this side of the pond...

There are also quite a few of us on the other side of the pond who are profoundly interested in how you all vote! Whilst I am sure that when you wake up tomorrow not everyone will have the result they want, I do hope that in these difficult times a magnificent, inspirational leader of all the world’s peoples finds himself living in Pennsylvania Avenue.

I live in Florida so I got to early vote. I was in and out in 10 minutes..

Big lines this morning.. glad I went early.

I did attend an Obama rally last month and actually got to speak with the Senator and shake his hand. It's been intresting to be a part of our countries history.

I think there is too much Election material, or it should be located in less places in the media!

With that said, I did get out and vote this morning first thing,

the lines were long (I was there about 40 minutes before opening).

The first guy said he was in line at 4:10 am for an opening bell at seven.

I was done in about twenty minutes, after they got going. I expect a vast turn-out today of voters.

I voted twice, that we have too much coverage!

Brian,

You asked a thoughtful question, and think that you deserve an answer.

Here is an effort to answer your question(s): (These are my thoughts, as poor or incomplete as they are.)

Yes we hear about elections on the other side of the pond, IF you're the type to pay attention to current events. But generally your campaigns and elections are much quicker. So news cycles being what they are ...

This particular US election season has gone on for so long in the news cycle, that we are finally, MAYBE, engaged in excercising our civic duty and right to vote. Consider the poor percentages for elections in the past in the US versus "newer" 'democracies' (or republics, or whatever you want to call them).

I have my personal choice about who should be elected, but my most important issue is voter turnout. ... Ask my children and their friends as they were turning 18 :rolleyes: !!!

A couple of stories to bore you with:

1. About 16 months ago, there was so much talk in the news THEN about the campaign, that I had to google the election calendar to prove to a friend that the election itself was still a year away.

2. Met a gentleman this summer, elderly, who writes position papers for some esoteric think tank. He said, and I agreed, that never in our lives had we ever seen such an amazing campaign season, with so many diverse groups engaged. So many voices excercising what we are taught to be the strength of this American 'experiment'.

I think that the world's opinion of Americans, as spoiled and taking their rights for granted, is probably correct. But such an amazing confluence of events, whether politically, economically, socially, philosophically, and ??? are bringing the strengths of an open society to the forefront. Freedom of speech and the right to choose one's leaders.

Whatever the outcome, I hope there's no one left who whines about the results but didn't take the time to cast their ballot and choice. And we can rise to civility :clap;:clap;:sign_nospam:

Thanks for letting me try to answer you.

Cath

PS - Whoever it is, just help me protect our freedom to fly my kites :revangel:

When we have an Election over this side of the pond.Do you get informed or is it Big News over ther.

Hi there,

The news media try to vamp it up, but with our own political soapies nobody is really interested - the exchange rate gets everyone worked up though (espeacialy if you need to buy a new rev :kid_devlish: ).

Thanks and wish you luck

Rob

Hi All,

We hear such bad stuff over here about Americans' lack of knowledge about anything that happens outwith their borders. It makes mu blood boil because of course, it's just the same here. If you target the right (sadly huuuge) strata of society here, you'll get all the answers about France being where Australia is and all the oil coming from India etc etc!

I have to say that I can't believe that even Republicans think that you've had the right person in charge for the last two terms, but I am thoroughly heartened to hear how much effort has been spent this time and how much more energised America seems about the whoile election thing. I feel much happier that whoever wins this time will be chosen by a much bigger proportion of you. One of the saddest things I ever saw was that website a few years ago listing thousands upon thousands of Americans apologising to the world after the last election. Perhaps having got rid of Blair and Bush, we can all make things better from now on.

I will say though that in my view, the real value of forums like this is to prove that every country has good people and that the global stereotyping that prevails these days is all hogwash!

Fraser

Brian,

You asked a thoughtful question, and think that you deserve an answer.

Here is an effort to answer your question(s): (These are my thoughts, as poor or incomplete as they are.)

Yes we hear about elections on the other side of the pond, IF you're the type to pay attention to current events. But generally your campaigns and elections are much quicker. So news cycles being what they are ...

This particular US election season has gone on for so long in the news cycle, that we are finally, MAYBE, engaged in excercising our civic duty and right to vote. Consider the poor percentages for elections in the past in the US versus "newer" 'democracies' (or republics, or whatever you want to call them).

I have my personal choice about who should be elected, but my most important issue is voter turnout. ... Ask my children and their friends as they were turning 18 :rolleyes: !!!

A couple of stories to bore you with:

1. About 16 months ago, there was so much talk in the news THEN about the campaign, that I had to google the election calendar to prove to a friend that the election itself was still a year away.

2. Met a gentleman this summer, elderly, who writes position papers for some esoteric think tank. He said, and I agreed, that never in our lives had we ever seen such an amazing campaign season, with so many diverse groups engaged. So many voices excercising what we are taught to be the strength of this American 'experiment'.

I think that the world's opinion of Americans, as spoiled and taking their rights for granted, is probably correct. But such an amazing confluence of events, whether politically, economically, socially, philosophically, and ??? are bringing the strengths of an open society to the forefront. Freedom of speech and the right to choose one's leaders.

Whatever the outcome, I hope there's no one left who whines about the results but didn't take the time to cast their ballot and choice. And we can rise to civility :clap;:clap;:sign_nospam:

Thanks for letting me try to answer you.

Cath

PS - Whoever it is, just help me protect our freedom to fly my kites :revangel:

Thanks Cath for the time and effort.Im the wiser for you taking the trouble to answer.

Lets hope whoever wins is a Good Guy and Makes a real diffrence.A new Historic beginning.

BRIAN...

I've pretty much had it with hearing about the US election. More time should be spent on dealing with the issues now than the 2 years of election wind up to the actual day. We can't avoid it here. Everywhere we look it's about the US election. We had our Federal election this fall. Start to finish was 5 weeks. Years of it must be enough to drive the average person crazy. When it is over we'll still be hearing about it for months more. Just get on with it already!! :)

Bart

I live in Florida so I got to early vote. I was in and out in 10 minutes..

Big lines this morning.. glad I went early.

I did attend an Obama rally last month and actually got to speak with the Senator and shake his hand. It's been intresting to be a part of our countries history.

Guess I was lucky! It took me about 5 minutes in and out the door. It was even at lunch time.

You are quite lucky to meet Obama. I am sure you will never forget it.

Electoral College!

It was the perfect system for electing a president in the time it was created. That being the days of horse and buggy and the only communications was mail carried by hand.

At that time you did not know for months who was elected president.

Since that time the telegraph, then the telephone, then television and the internet have evolved.

I must say, it is slightly outdated now but still in use.

i can never watch politics, its more of a personal choice than anything- i get too worked up and start yelling at the TV. just some of the things they say are so false i get so peeved and start yelling at them on the TV...

im gonna happy either way when the election junk is over just because all of the information that is put out about it will be over. I try not to follow politics because of all the information crammed down my throat that i dont want to know.

P.S. please pardon any crude or inapropriate language