What you going to do with your old unused kit?

sailor99

Question

Starting off from a conversation in this thread which some of you may have come across ( http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?sh...amp;#entry32341 ) a few of us are establishing a 'starter kit' to help new people get into the sport we all love. We have managed to scrape together a standard and a vented sail, a standard and an SLE frame, a couple of sets of handles, some lines, a stake and some bags to keep it all in. To be honest, speaking for the bits I have thrown in, these were all things that were lying around unused and unloved. But put together they make a really good little package for people to start off with.

They will be 'loaned' to someone who would like to try the sport but whom, for whatever reason, cannot justify what would be a considerable investment in something they are not sure they will like. Once they have decided they love it (as they undoubtedly will ;)) they then pass on the kit to a new person once they have managed to set themselves up with their own kit.

It occurred to us that this maybe an idea that others may want to copy in other parts of the country/world.

As Ben and Mike Kory would say - world peace one flier at a time!

22 answers to this question

Great idea Jeremy!

We started doing this on our first trip to the Antigua Kite Festival, and have continued on each trip back. It is really cool to see the locals pull out their Rev's and show us what they've learned since our last trip.

Hopefully this year we'll get them all together and start some team flying!

Sue

High Flyers

The sails in question are 'Tigger' and 'Major Trumper'. Unfortunately the Major is lacking end caps and a bridle. I hope someone maybe going to have a try at tying a bridle, but have yet to hear back. But if anyone has any end caps going spare they would be much appreciated.

A Library perhaps ?.I have some kit in our Club Library.The Library thing does have its Minus and Negatives though..

Its JBs House though and with Johns Schedule,i wouldnt want anymore Admin and thats for starters.Just a thought .....

Great idea J.

Can be a b

This community spirit is what I have always loved about kiting.

I gladly have loaned dual lines, Rev's, spare parts etc to assist people get into the sport - or encouraged people to spend some time with one of my kites first before they purchase it off me to ensure that it is what they are really after and it suits them. (Actually my HQ SPirit Quad and one of my 1.5's is doing the rounds in the kite club at the moment - more budding quaddies!!).

Likewise I have also been loaned parts and kites to try from various parts of Australia before purchases.

When I started there was only me that I knew of in Tasmania - so I had to purchase and try...If only I could have tried things out and got some advice along the way...

Luckily now there are a number of us, who get on well and enjoy flying together and are happily willing to loan out gear etc to help each other out.

cheers

steve

thats what i love- kite flyers are always the nicest and most generous people ever. all my friends cant believehow generous all of us flyers are. Its a great idea and it should go well. I know around here there arent many flyers so maybe i should try that around here

Thanks to the generosity of Sailor99, David Ellison and Jonesey, I had the first flight today with 'Tigger' the 'Hampshire' and 'Devon' Rev Starter kit. Winds were very light at Lepe Country Park but we managed a few take offs and landings and a few manouvers on a bright winters day. A very nice birthday treat, thanks guys and I am glad everyone liked the idea of starting a loan pool.

I have put up a couple of pictures in my gallery. Great job on Tigger, Sailor99, stunning looking sail imho.

All the best Mike.

so is green the word ya all over there use for the yard?

:kid_devlish:

Not unless if you mean bowling green, or croquet green or cricket greens ;)

We don't have yards in southern England (that's a northern term) :kid_devlish:

We have both gardens here and green areas, which are public open spaces with grass and trees and stuff to prettify our neighbourhoods :)

It's also spacious enough for some kite flying ^_^

That's odd. I had no idea yards were a Northern thing. We have a yard at our house - it's where the maid puts the rubbish I believe. There is also a yard just round from the stables where Ned, the gardener, puts the lawn mower.

Where do you southerners put your trash and park your Chelsea Tractors if not in the yard?

That's odd. I had no idea yards were a Northern thing. We have a yard at our house - it's where the maid puts the rubbish I believe. There is also a yard just round from the stables where Ned, the gardener, puts the lawn mower.

Where do you southerners put your trash and park your Chelsea Tractors if not in the yard?

Well we don't have 'Trash' for a start, but I believe the staff take our waste to the rubbish bins across the courtyard behind the East wing of the main house.

across the courtyard behind the East wing of the main house.
So that would be the Londis then.

Glad you like tigger Warpspeed. Still haven't found any end caps for Major Trumper I am afraid - You may need to pick some up from kiteworld (3 pack and they are a couple of quid each I think)

Great idea Jeremy!

<snip> Antigua Kite Festival, <snip>

this site/event just crossed my browser recently... that festival looks wonderful! :) I would love to go in the near future!

but to keep on topic....

Some great friends of mine have a set up that's similar to what this thread is really all about. thier extra "unloved" gear has helped me out more than a time or two, due to some silly misfourtune!

One flyer at a time... one kite at a time...

I started this around here in CT with a GFAK (go fly a kite) dualie that i learned on. it was an alright kite that i learned alot on and could fly in a very wide wind range from that of 2 mph all the way to wingtips are hitting each other. i included 85# 65' lines and a stake with it. also i included a how to fly DVD that i had picked up with the kite. Not the most advanced kite out there but it fits whats needed to learn. I know this person(Bill) will send it along to another flyer who catches the bug once he acquires a kit of his own.