How old?

andelscott

As I look forward to a birthday with a significant number attached [*], I have to ask whether anyone gets age-ist or age-related comments on their flying? What have you overheard?

[*] significant only because we use a base-10 numbering system. :kid_devlish:

I too will shortly be passing the same milestone .... let me know how it goes so I can prepare accordingly!

Where I fly most days (Hill Head) I am surrounded by Kite borders ... for the most part we happily co-exist with very little interaction but on one occasion I was asked 'Excuse me granddad do you fancy moving your toy kites further down there' ... as usual the suitable smart arsed retort only came to me on the drive home.. however I have to admit to smiling slightly when I saw the same chap come ashore with a burst leading edge in his kite ....

Other then that I have on two occasions challenged some of the kite borders to show me how it should be done when they have been less then complimentary and as a result I know at least one of them that is buying a Rev!

I am in the process of trying to make a series 4 of levers that fit to my zimmer frame, but the initial trials seem to give me too much brake

Oh yes, the British English and their funny language again ...

You might like to benefit from my having to look up the translation of zimmer frame - it's a walker.

Cheers,

Tom

post-2169-1223997478_thumb.jpg

As I look forward to a birthday with a significant number attached [*], I have to ask whether anyone gets age-ist or age-related comments on their flying?

Age related comments? None so far. When folks ask me why, I tell them for my entire working career I've been told to "go fly a kite", so I'm simply following orders! You might check this video out ... she can probably claim to have had a significant birthday in her recent past.

Oh, I should point out the the video comes from the UK and that she has a purple b-series ... hmmm ... wonder if Choccy ... naw, I'm sure it's just a coincident ...

Cheers,

Tom

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...79&hl=en-GB

You might check this video out ... she can probably claim to have had a significant birthday in her recent past.

Oh, I should point out the the video comes from the UK and that she has a purple b-series ... hmmm ... wonder if Choccy ... naw, I'm sure it's just a coincident ...

Cheers,

Tom

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...79&hl=en-GB

Nice video. Maybe I need to learn the tango. It would encourage me to sharpen the turns and transitions....

I'll leave it to Choccy to provide a suitable riposte, but I think the colour of the sail is probably the only similarity.... :kid_content:

Nice video. Maybe I need to learn the tango. It would encourage me to sharpen the turns and transitions....

I'll leave it to Choccy to provide a suitable riposte, but I think the colour of the sail is probably the only similarity.... :kid_content:

And of course Choccy is a Lady, as is this person in the video, a wonderful Lady. I also recognise the handsome shadow filming.

I'm going on 55 and have been asked a few times why a man my age was still "playing" with kites.

I don't care what people think and just keep flying.

Today will be the 168th day flying for me since January 1, 2008.

At age 57, nobody asks me why I play with kites.

Could be something to do with my size.

People are scared of me? :devil:

They don't seem to like me. <_<

Okay, now my curiosity has been stroked ... sounds like you know more than you're telling. Care to share?

Cheers,

Tom

Not sure that it is my place to share. Nothing secret or anything. I am fairly sure the vid has been posted on here, anyway I have seen it B4.

Suppose I should more accuratly say I am fairly sure I know the shadow. If I am right he is a great Rev flier and a good friend, fairly active on here. And been realy helpfull to me.

I have had no comments from others regarding my age.

Lynn and I try to fly together 1-2 hours nearly every day. We find it great to get out in the open (lots of sun screen). Not too tiring, but seems to be good for us.

I'm 68, Lynn isn't.

Hey Jim how did you get such a young bride.

I am getting there. Have my Medicare card and it takes me about 3 hours in the morning to get all of the joints moving. I agree with Jim. I am sure it was kiting that Ponce de Leon was looking for. At least he was checking out the beachs.

My goal for this year is to teach at least a couple of kids to fly Revs

As I look forward to a birthday with a significant number attached [*], I have to ask whether anyone gets age-ist or age-related comments on their flying? What have you overheard?

[*] significant only because we use a base-10 numbering system. :kid_devlish:

hello Andy:

i smile at your question.....

you know how i was inspired to fly rev ? one evening in Newport RI (B.P park), i saw a bunch of big kids at their silver age enjoy flying, so relaxed and even sometime sitting and flying from their arm chairs....

i was so moved by their graceful yet lighthearted movement and mood in playing together with good friends in the wind and out in the open.... i said to myself, i want to grow old like that!

it's just beautiful to watch.... i think to myself, if i start now, by the time i am their age, i would sure be good enough to do what they do.....

humm, years later, i am still a bit shy but never a moment of regret of my decision (humm, there was once a moment of doubt... of depression but that too passed soon enough), i am at least no more a closet flyer since WSIKF, but not into group flying ... nevertheless, i love flying and those who share the passion.

that said, back to your question, age, was never an issue for me, that's the beauty of kiting. I have seen people flying with all capacity including on wheel chair and with harness... my focus is in the joy and love of flying, that freedom, that passion of liberty.

those big kids with silver hair... ah, some of them are just like charlie brown... exactly, ageless but young at heart.

those who fly at B.P park, you know i am paying my respect to you here, and my love and gratitude .....

thank you for being there, thank you for the friendship, love and support as we are a big family.....

from the other side of the globe to be with you. i always refer you guys as some of my favorite flyers.

You might check this video out ...

she can probably claim to have had a significant birthday in her recent past.

Oh, I should point out the the video comes from the UK and that she has a purple b-series ...

hmmm ... wonder if Choccy ... naw, I'm sure it's just a coincident ...

Hiya Tom

Just taking a while to catch up on all these olde messages :)

Purple, what, where ? ;)

Purkle has been away on holiday recently flirting with the Atlantic ocean for the very first time :D

As for me, well I've not even reached the significant age with a 3 in yet ;)

Nice day today, but more of a Leela rather than Purkle (vented) type of wind day,

Andy> you are only as old as you feel ;)

SteveB> "Today will be the 168th day flying for me since January 1, 2008."

Envy isn't a good thing is it... still your Little Red Rev II knocks the giggles back into place and the years fall away :D

happy flying