What would you fly to?

sailor99

I had a couple of conversations over the weekend that set me thinking. The first was with a chap who said that kite flying puts him into a kind of trance, which has to be something we have all experienced. I then said I like nothing more than popping in the iPod and drifting off with my kite to a new world, and wobetide the person who interupts my revery (pun alert!). Later on, in a conversation over a curry, someone said they cannot help but listen to music and mentally start plotting team moves to it - and of course I realised I do exactly the same thing!

Much later, on the drive home, Hippy Chippy re-introduced my to a few tracks I hadn't listened to in ages as well as some new ones. 'The Muse' was completely new to me, but not really suited to kiting. 'Yes' was a little off on the tempo. Then on came what I think is the ideal track for a stunning routine - It is just soooooooo smooth and laid back with some really interesting tempo changes and a good beat to punctuate the routine.

So, to the point of the thread. Close your eyes, the sun is shining on your back, there is a gentle 8 MPH wind blowing and you have just turned on your iPod and you are selecting the supreme flying track. What is it? Of course you can only play one track, so you are limited to one choice (although you are allowed to change your mind at a later date!).

Oh, and my ideal track, the one Hippy Chippy played on the drive home, was Groove Armarda ' At The River'.

was Groove Armarda ' At The River'.

It is a good choice.

It's already been flown too at festivals: The Flying Squad, Portsmouth 2006/2007 :)

Usually used for in those days "mega" team flies with The Crazy Drivers and others flying to this here ;)

doing the move you don't like so much: following. :P

It was the first track I ever flew to on my ipod at Barbury castle this spring :D

I'd only been flying on Bluey 1 week ATT! (it was hard work for a mellow track). :blush:

This thread could run and run for sure. It's tough to pick "the one" as there are so many variables to consider - mood, weather, good "see you in church" 8 mph wind, or bumpy through the trees 8mph wind, place, sobriety... all that stuff that determines your experience.

But your thread, so your rules

Musst Musst (Massive Attack Remix) - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

.....now pass the naan bread will you old chap

Talk Like a Pirate Day was yesterday so isn't it Armada not 'ArmaRda' (its pedantic Tuesday again ;) )

My current first choice is a bit off piste ...'And They all look broken hearted' by Four Tet ... bet nobody else has that on their iPods!

But I have a Rev flying playlist on my iPhone and iPods that interestingly also includes 'At the river' together with a fairly predictable list of tracks described as Old Fart music by some in this house..... For those that use iTunes/iPods... I published some of these (iTunes doesn't accept some of the tracks) to an iMix called 'Revolution Flying' ..... good place to publish your playlists for others to pick apart or download.....

i listen to all ofthe classic stuff i grew up to.. rock, hip hop ,some old skool metal too, to me those days were the best times in music .. im talking 70 sand 80s what i like about the i pods is that i can get all the old stuff and not have to carry the big bulky crappy sounding walkman used to have. not to forget haveing to stop flying to rewind the tape

Musst Musst (Massive Attack Remix) - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
With two pint Cobra sir? (Wobbles head)
Peter Gunn theme from the Blues Brothers
Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum, Dum dum dum dum dar-dar, dum dum dum dum dum der. Classic! 'Buy now' button has just been pressed.

Over the years I flew to a number of pieces in competition.

The one scoring the highest with the judges was:

- It's oh so quiet - Bjork

At EuroCup 1997 in Cervia Italy I did score considerably higher then Carl Robertshaw in ballet.

The public in general did not care that much for it but they really liked:

- Over the Rainbow - Barbara Streisand

To the music I flew a rainbow colored REV I with 6 rainbow colored tails, each 15mtr(50ft) long.

I was told I was on television a few times in Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Malaysia. I only saw the German one.

Another piece which I flew pairs with was:

- Dual of the Fates - Star wars

For fun easy flying I always liked various pieces from Vangelis.

Talk Like a Pirate Day was yesterday so isn't it Armada not 'ArmaRda' (its pedantic Tuesday again ;) )

My current first choice is a bit off piste ...'And They all look broken hearted' by Four Tet ... bet nobody else has that on their iPods!

But I have a Rev flying playlist on my iPhone and iPods that interestingly also includes 'At the river' together with a fairly predictable list of tracks described as Old Fart music by some in this house..... For those that use iTunes/iPods... I published some of these (iTunes doesn't accept some of the tracks) to an iMix called 'Revolution Flying' ..... good place to publish your playlists for others to pick apart or download.....

Something be wrong in yer upper deck! Talk Like a Pirate Day were Friday! AARGH!!

As for the music, I listen to anything fun and funky. Lately, I've been into Maroon Five. But if I had to choose 1 song, I guess it would be Sunday Morning by Maroon Five.

Yesterday afternoon's relatively short 45 min session found the ipod on its way to Jerry Garcia & Howard Wales, Side Trips.

On the other hand, the weekend found me grooving to some old school Booker T and The MGs along with some other artists from the Stax/Volt era.

Yesterday afternoon's relatively short 45 min session found the ipod on its way to Jerry Garcia & Howard Wales, Side Trips.

On the other hand, the weekend found me grooving to some old school Booker T and The MGs along with some other artists from the Stax/Volt era.

Ye,Green Onions,now thers a top tune.Sting in Quadraphinia,Happy Days.

Bee Gees for a Happy Vibe

Maroon Five Havent made a bad tune,ther good.

David Grey ,Culture Club,Lighthouse Family,P Weller,Madness,that sorta stuff on random

Robin S,D Ream,Robert Miles,and old Dance classics,creme, with some Italian House mixed in for good measure,prefareably by the Ministry

But,

My Alltime fav,NO13 Cafe Del Mar,pure zen in 6mph,sun kissed day and a Sedgewick on the Beech,,,,,,sends shivers down the spine.

TRY THIS FOR A LARK,when someone shouts ya,or is passing ya when ya flying.Hum or Sing something proper weird,or as you acknowlege them,finish with the last few lines of a wacky song,but keep deadpan serious.

Example,Ha,shut up a ya face,,,,,,or,in ther flying machines,,,,,

and then start a conversation with them as you remove the ear buds and i pod.Man,you get some weird looks.

BRIAN...

Billy Joel is probably one i wouldnt admit to,but just incase anyones around a 6am at Ainsdale has heard me ruining it.Thought i would throw it in.

Ho and some Samuel Barber when i wana think or Guitar,flamenco,Mayers Cavatina,

And Marvin the sexual healing man

BRIAN...

• 2 weeks later...

i tried to fly to some metallica...didnt really work to well for precision but for a relatively high wind day "whiskey in the jar" was good for just ripping around doing all the wild stuff

I have used "turn the page" for some precision but not much...i tried "whispers in the dark" by skillet, wasnt too successful. Gee i wonder why :rolleyes:

ive used the blues brothers theme before; that song is too catchy!

p.s. going up to New hampshire with a good friends of mine (chuck3) so maybe we'll do some team but nothing is set in stone yet hahah